Install driving me a little Nutz

Status
Please reply by conversation.

empiretc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
I received my system from SatelliteAV and went to point the dish today. The mounting post is perfectly level, so I installed the motor & dish as close to TS as possible.

When I checked it, signal was at 80 quality at 30. I adjusted and ended up with 82 signal and 72 quality on 97 (my zip is 78572). I then tracked it over to 123 and had 80 signal and 5 quality. Figured no biggie, atleast if found it. Then I tracked over to 89 and got signal there. Here is the fun-

I went bacck to 97 and nothing. Nothing anywhere. Everything is tight. After a little investigating, I found the shaft of the motor has play to it. I could touch the dish, and it would get signal. I set it, and after moving it, it looses signal again. It's pretty sloppy.

I have it at 123 right now, but am only getting 18 channels. How easy would it be to make it stationary/disregard the motor (there is no dish skew)? I am still waiting for a response from SatelliteAV.

What system did you get? I just got mine today from SatelliteAV it is the Visionsat IV200 hope i dont have same trouble with motor. If it is the same system i have then all you have to do is take off motor and mount to pole, but then you would need 2 LNBFs i think. You still can get some channels with one.

Same as you Darren.

The motor skewed the entire dish when pointed at 123. The dish itself doesn't have and adjustment like others I have dealt with. I noticed the LNB skew, but I am not sure that will work.

Hope to hear back from SatelliteAV soon. I called today and was told someone would call me back ASAP, but i haven't heard anything yet.

I have a long weekend coming up and I hope someone chimes in so I can get going- even without the motor. When pointed at 97, i scanned 186 channels. too bad nothing i want to watch...

Someone here told me I should start out with stationary mount and then add motor later to get the hang of how it all works, I dont want to do that, I want to get it installed and finished and then get the hang of it in my living room. another 60 days and the temps here will be 100++ , the last place i want to be is on my roof playing with Dish

Please check your personal email, we had responded with a few questions and suggestions. For any future correspondence .....You will receive faster assistance if mailing support@satelliteav.com instead of through this websites PM.

What motor control mode are your using? USALS or DiSEqC 1.2? Did you bump the dish electronically left or right to peak for your TS satellite or did you manually adjust the dish elevation and adjust the motor on the mounting post? Use USALS mode only to locate your first satellites. If the second satellite did not come in with good quality, the dish is not yet tracking the arc.

All motors have a slight amount of play, but should not be enough to cause signal loss on a movement return. While it is possible that this motor requires an adjustment, this should have already been set at the factory. I wouldn't expect any lash adjustment is necessary with a new motor. I would first check to make sure that hex bolt attaching the tube to the motor shaft is VERY tight!

I received my system from SatelliteAV and went to point the dish today. The mounting post is perfectly level, so I installed the motor & dish as close to TS as possible.

When I checked it, signal was at 80 quality at 30. I adjusted and ended up with 82 signal and 72 quality on 97 (my zip is 78572). I then tracked it over to 123 and had 80 signal and 5 quality. Figured no biggie, atleast if found it. Then I tracked over to 89 and got signal there. Here is the fun-

I went bacck to 97 and nothing. Nothing anywhere. Everything is tight. After a little investigating, I found the shaft of the motor has play to it. I could touch the dish, and it would get signal. I set it, and after moving it, it looses signal again. It's pretty sloppy.

I have it at 123 right now, but am only getting 18 channels. How easy would it be to make it stationary/disregard the motor (there is no dish skew)? I am still waiting for a response from SatelliteAV.

awesome. thanks for the response. it is set to USALS. i followed directions to a T and though I was home free when I got a signal right away.

I'll keep playing with it this weekend and i'll keep you posted.

What about setting it up as a stationary?

Last edited:
ok, motor is defenitely the problem. it just has too much play and the dish does not stay in place. I know it was tracking the belt properly as I could move the dish and then touch it with my hand to lock in the signal. As soon as i would let it go, it would loose signal. The tweak setting didn't help as after i would move to another bird, the same thing would happen again. I am just going to have to see what can be done to get the motor replaced or get a refund for it.

After all that, I set the dish up stationary on 10r. I was able to get really strong signal and quality. A blind scan yielded 51 total channels. I am pretty happy about that. Only thing is that the IRD does not retrieve any EPG information. Any trick to fixing that?

After all that, I set the dish up stationary on 10r. I was able to get really strong signal and quality. A blind scan yielded 51 total channels. I am pretty happy about that. Only thing is that the IRD does not retrieve any EPG information. Any trick to fixing that?

EPG will not work in NA. Many of us use TitanTV for our listings.

I cant figure out how to get the channels scanned with frequencies that are not strong deleted out of IV200 it goes through the weak signals i scanned.

so how is the motor in you system Darren?

If you want to clear out the receiver completely, just restore it to factory defaults. then you can manipulate the channels from scratch.

I cant figure out how to get the channels scanned with frequencies that are not strong deleted out of IV200 it goes through the weak signals i scanned.

there is a channel option in the menus...I forget what its called (not at home) but then it tells yuou how to delete them. Select "delete" and whatever channels you want to delete select them. They'll move to the right column. Then press red button and you can delete them :)

edit: looked at the pics on my review :)
channel manager
pick the channel to delete
GREEN button to delete

ok, motor is defenitely the problem. it just has too much play and the dish does not stay in place. I know it was tracking the belt properly as I could move the dish and then touch it with my hand to lock in the signal. As soon as i would let it go, it would loose signal. The tweak setting didn't help as after i would move to another bird, the same thing would happen again. I am just going to have to see what can be done to get the motor replaced or get a refund for it.

It sounds more like you may have to just nudge the dish using USALS. For instance, on my setup even though g10 is at 123W, I have it set to 123.9W in USALS in order to max out my signal. Similarly I have to do the same at AMC 3 (87.6 instead of 87).

Keep in mind those are my settings for my setup, you'll have to play around with your own setup to get the maximum signal strength. I find only the satellites at the ends of the arc require me to do this, all the others are fine. All dishes are going to have some 'play' to them, so you just have to compensate in some of the settings on the IRD to compensate.

It sounds more like you may have to just nudge the dish using USALS. For instance, on my setup even though g10 is at 123W, I have it set to 123.9W in USALS in order to max out my signal. Similarly I have to do the same at AMC 3 (87.6 instead of 87).

The tweak setting ("nudge") does help, but it still doesn't stay constant. The slightest wind will move it. there is simply too much play. and as i said, once i move it after that, it's the same problem all over again. i understand that there may be some play, but the amount i have is ridiculous.

If you believe that the unit has too much play, please call our Service Department at 888-483-4673 and set-up a RMA. If the unit is defective, we will repair or replace and ship back at no charge. If the unit has no issue, you would only be responsible for the shipping charges.

If you believe that the unit has too much play, please call our Service Department at 888-483-4673 and set-up a RMA. If the unit is defective, we will repair or replace and ship back at no charge. If the unit has no issue, you would only be responsible for the shipping charges.

Did that, was told someone would call me back. I am still waiting. I sent emails too. This isn't for the forums and hope it gets taken care of.

I have been on vacation since last Thursday, but did reply to your request for assistance. The CSR was unable to provide assistance with your specific motor issue, so she emailed me to contact you. We had received an email from your SatelliteGuys account, so I replied to at 8:30pm last Thursday evening. I assumed that you had received my reply. In case you did not receive my reply at the SatelliteGuys account, I have just resent this email to your personal gmail account.

I agree that the forum isn't the place to resolve a possible motor issue, but it is a perfect place to obtain assistance with questions on your first motorized install.

Please contact our Service Department to arrange a service order and return of the possible defective unit for bench testing at 888-483-4673.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts