Install H24-100 into an DTV system in use

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scott Talbot

Original poster
I need alittle help. have a HR23-700 which we currently use. I was given a H24-100 by a family member and installed the unit. The family member had the newer SL3-SWM. I have the older but still working SL3.

I changed the settings on the H24-100 to S3 and multiswitch. I then installed a SAT splitter for SAT1 and 2 input on the HR23-700 and reconnected. I then installed the 3x4 multiswitch for the H24-100. I know that I need a BBC for HD but the SD works fine on the H24-100. HOWEVER, the HR23-700 has lost 1/2 of its SAT feeds on 101 and all feeds 99, 103 etc.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

Hold on, you put a splitter on the sat in cables coming from your wall to the back of the HR23? That is not going to multiply the line, only split it in half. You must run a new line to this receiver.

I need alittle help. have a HR23-700 which we currently use. I was given a H24-100 by a family member and installed the unit. The family member had the newer SL3-SWM. I have the older but still working SL3.

I changed the settings on the H24-100 to S3 and multiswitch. I then installed a SAT splitter for SAT1 and 2 input on the HR23-700 and reconnected. I then installed the 3x4 multiswitch for the H24-100. I know that I need a BBC for HD but the SD works fine on the H24-100. HOWEVER, the HR23-700 has lost 1/2 of its SAT feeds on 101 and all feeds 99, 103 etc.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

You don't need a splitter, like OSD771 said, you need to run a new cable from the dish to the H24. You can't split a regular satellite cable. A 3x4 multiswitch won't work with an hd setup, only sd, so you have to remove that switch. So you have to go back to your original setup, then run a new cable from the dish to the H24, install the bbc, and you are good to go. BTW, if the H24 you got from your family member is a leased unit, Directv won't let you activate it at your house.

OK, you answered everything except that the H24-100 only has one input, not two. In order to get both sides of the input, how do you multiplex into the H24-100? Also need to include BBC for HD frequency upscaler.

Is it easier to upgrade to the SL3-SMW, change the seeting in the HR23-700 to single input and SMW and use the splitter. My dish is truly on the fringe and running additional cable is a days worth of work?

Scott Talbot said:
OK, you answered everything except that the H24-100 only has one input, not two. In order to get both sides of the input, how do you multiplex into the H24-100? Also need to include BBC for HD frequency upscaler.

Is it easier to upgrade to the SL3-SMW, change the seeting in the HR23-700 to single input and SMW and use the splitter. My dish is truly on the fringe and running additional cable is a days worth of work?

The H24 is only a HD receiver so it only requires 1 input. The HR23 is a DVR so it needs 2. Both must be solid without any splitters involved unless you're running more then 4 tuners and your not. As for SWM, you would need a new LNB, a power inserter, and a SWM splitter. Once you upgrade the system to SWM everything only requires 1 line. It would be a matter of hooking up the new SWM system and rerunning the satellite setup and the receivers will switch to SWM on their own. BBC's wouldn't be required on SWM.

if the H24 you got from your family member is a leased unit, Directv won't let you activate it at your house.
More importantly, if the HR24 was leased and the account is being closed, DIRECTV will want it back. They'll demonstrate the intensity of their desire with a $125 non-return fee in accordance with the Equipment Lease Addendum.

I would also recommend against connecting the unit to a land line or the Internet (directly or indirectly) as it will phone home and be flagged as being located at other than registered service address.

If it's that difficult to run a new cable from the dish, then getting a swm lnb and a sws4 splitter would be your next best choice. You will need to get a power inserter. Don't forget to terminate the open port on the splitter.

Thank you guys for all your help. The system was purchased as a whole house system. She was really sold a bill of good. She was sold the HD DVR-receiver and two other receivers, 2 HD and one SD F-Type.
She's 72, and lives by herself. If I knew she was giving them a small mortage, I would have just told DTV for the 1 HD DVR receiver and just brought the RCA video output to a RF converter for your older TV, non HD. Then got her a IR repeater so she can control it from her bedroom. They run cables like its the GOP convention, everwhere, through the furnace stack firewall. All over the exterior of the home, really looks bad.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)