Install question for house & guesthouse at same address

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
The reps at 800 Directv were not helpful at all..."we only have Genies, we don't provide HD DVR's anymore, can't do separate buildings" etc. The nice lady at the local ATT store disproved all this, was able to bring up what they qualify for, and although they do have to pay for the receivers, they still get the Genie DVR for free.

That's why you need to to talk to a local dealer

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

It should be fine on 1 account. Talk to your local dealer I'm sure they will be glad to set it up.

If you call 800 Directv to set it up, your probably not going to get the installer to want to set it up because it's like 2 installations.

I have set up fulfillment installs for years. I can never get a fulfillment tech to hook up a receiver in a garage, even if it's via an over head wire. I have never gotten them to install a separate dish.
Heck I did it all the time. Then Dish started with their Spec Matrix and enforced by the QAS nazis..
I would do aerial drops if needed. Or install that antenna on the out building. No biggie. I got paid for it.

Unless you setup the main house and added the other receivers after the tech left.

Seriously, good luck getting a fulfillment tech to do anything above and beyond what's on the work order.
yeah...Because they have 5 or 6 other jobs they must go to. And that means 5 or 6 other customers who are pissed off because the tech had the GALL to go to another job before theirs....

The reps at 800 Directv were not helpful at all..."we only have Genies, we don't provide HD DVR's anymore, can't do separate buildings" etc. The nice lady at the local ATT store disproved all this, was able to bring up what they qualify for, and although they do have to pay for the receivers, they still get the Genie DVR for free.
They only give out Genies now ?
Cool !
So if I already have a Genie, they will finally give another one !

That's Not gonna happen ....

They only give out Genies now ?
Cool !
So if I already have a Genie, they will finally give another one !

That's Not gonna happen ....

Don't think so either, but seems they are really pushing only Genie & client installs now - one Genie DVR and mini's in all other rooms.

Genie and clients is what you get on free installs. If you add HD DVRs, you have to pay for those.

(in case someone in the future reads this) from what i was always told, two locations is fine. the case either A) two seperate address, so long as they are not being used at the same time, is ok or b) two locations on the same property (non-appartment, like you have) is fine too. the 2nd ODU is the customers responsibility though, however many companies will simply sell a 2nd odu right off the truck. for us this was considered custom labor, and charged ~$130 for the odu/cable/power inserter. we collected via check so there was a paper trail at least and filled out a custom labor form describing the charge (stuff like pole mounts, mirror outlets, burial were also on that form). other companies or techs would simply "sell" it in cash. that would always be seperate from whatever D* was going to charge for the receivers.

Yes, that's typically the way a second installation on the same property is treated. I did my own installation on my home office. In this case, the OP already has a second dish so he should be able to sort it out with any decent installer.

(in case someone in the future reads this) from what i was always told, two locations is fine. the case either A) two seperate address, so long as they are not being used at the same time, is ok or b) two locations on the same property (non-appartment, like you have) is fine too. the 2nd ODU is the customers responsibility though, however many companies will simply sell a 2nd odu right off the truck. for us this was considered custom labor, and charged ~$130 for the odu/cable/power inserter. we collected via check so there was a paper trail at least and filled out a custom labor form describing the charge (stuff like pole mounts, mirror outlets, burial were also on that form). other companies or techs would simply "sell" it in cash. that would always be seperate from whatever D* was going to charge for the receivers.
Was the $130, just for the product, or did you set everything up as well ?

That's why you need to to talk to a local dealer

Hey Claude, what's the best way to find a local DirecTV dealer?

Keep us posted, Chris_R, I want to hear how this turns out. I know you can contact independent installers (see my signature) for on-sight advice, but I would be better to go with a local dealer since you'll be buying receivers.

Are you close to Claude? Maybe he should just do it. ;)

An update for everyone here: the install at the ranch property was today, and I'm happy to report everything went great. The installer was local to the area, was well aware there are a number of similar ranch type properties and had no issues with the setup. We did make a change a couple of days ago and opted for 1 Genie DVR in their living room, a client for the master bedroom and a 2nd client for a kitchen (currently under remodel). The "fourth room" where the HD DVR was to go in the guest house, we went one step further: rather than the family having to purchase a brand new HD DVR for that building, I actually owned an extra HR-24 that I wasn't really using, and he simply transferred it over from my account to theirs. Win win!!

The only thing we could not configure was internet access - for both the main house and the guest house. There's internet in both, but the receivers are not picking it up from the routers, wired or wireless. No idea whats up with that, the internet otherwise works perfectly fine.

Thanks to all for your encouragement & suggestions on how to proceed - the family is very happy and so am I!

Do you think hooking up to two different internet might be like using two different phone numbers? Hooking up to two different phone numbers usually got you BUSTED with Dish.

An update for everyone here: the install at the ranch property was today, and I'm happy to report everything went great. The installer was local to the area, was well aware there are a number of similar ranch type properties and had no issues with the setup. We did make a change a couple of days ago and opted for 1 Genie DVR in their living room, a client for the master bedroom and a 2nd client for a kitchen (currently under remodel). The "fourth room" where the HD DVR was to go in the guest house, we went one step further: rather than the family having to purchase a brand new HD DVR for that building, I actually owned an extra HR-24 that I wasn't really using, and he simply transferred it over from my account to theirs. Win win!!

The only thing we could not configure was internet access - for both the main house and the guest house. There's internet in both, but the receivers are not picking it up from the routers, wired or wireless. No idea whats up with that, the internet otherwise works perfectly fine.

Thanks to all for your encouragement & suggestions on how to proceed - the family is very happy and so am I!
Glad to see all went well ...

I didn't know you could transfer recvrs to a different persons account like that, I've always been told you have to deactivate it and send back, that you can't give it to someone else like that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)