Install question for house & guesthouse at same address

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chris_R

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
Northern California
I am helping a family get set up with DirecTV as a new customer. The situation is unique and I did not find any current answers on the forum.

They reside on a ranch property, in two separate buildings that were previously used by staff; they have since been converted to family residences. Some of the family members reside in the main ranch house, while others live in the guest house 500 feet away. Both buildings have a DirecTV SWM dish from prior residents, as it's physically impossible to connect those two sites to one dish. They'd like to take advantage of the new customer promotions from AT&T (as this is their cell phone carrier), but obviously, getting four Genies/clients won't work here.

I have confirmed with DirecTV that they don't have to go with all Genie clients; we can get them a Genie DVR and a mini for the main house no problem, but for the cottage we decided the best option is for two HD DVR's. They may have to buy them outright, but they're prepared to do this to make it work.

I have received conflicting info locally that two satellite dishes, even if they are at the same service address, would be treated as two different services/accounts. Somehow I don't think this is true but can someone clarify?

Can they just tell the installer they have four rooms they'd like hooked up and merely point out that two of them are in a guest house?

Should think that the existing dishes, which I've tested with my own box and work perfectly, will make the installer's day a lot easier ;-)

Appreciate any help & advice - thanks!

I am helping a family get set up with DirecTV as a new customer. The situation is unique and I did not find any current answers on the forum.

They reside on a ranch property, in two separate buildings that were previously used by staff; they have since been converted to family residences. Some of the family members reside in the main ranch house, while others live in the guest house 500 feet away. Both buildings have a DirecTV SWM dish from prior residents, as it's physically impossible to connect those two sites to one dish. They'd like to take advantage of the new customer promotions from AT&T (as this is their cell phone carrier), but obviously, getting four Genies/clients won't work here.

I have confirmed with DirecTV that they don't have to go with all Genie clients; we can get them a Genie DVR and a mini for the main house no problem, but for the cottage we decided the best option is for two HD DVR's. They may have to buy them outright, but they're prepared to do this to make it work.

I have received conflicting info locally that two satellite dishes, even if they are at the same service address, would be treated as two different services/accounts. Somehow I don't think this is true but can someone clarify?

Can they just tell the installer they have four rooms they'd like hooked up and merely point out that two of them are in a guest house?

Should think that the existing dishes, which I've tested with my own box and work perfectly, will make the installer's day a lot easier ;-)

I would just talk to the Installer when he gets there ...
And Tip him if he does both.

The other thing you could do is activate all the recvrs at the main house and then move the recvrs you want, to the cottage, seeing they already have a pointed dish at both locations.

Two dishes at one location is fine. Easiest thing to do as JImbo says it set everything up at the main house and then move receivers to the cottage, I do this all the time between my house and my home office in the yard. Remember you can't use the miniclients away from the genie, so your two HD DVR proposal for the second location is the correct one. It's easiest to order these as a single installation, assuming you have enough TVs in the main house for the installer to set up the installation. The account will have nine tuners (5 for the genie, 2 each for the DVRs) so he will install an LNB in your main home dish capable of supporting 13 tuners. Then you can move the DVRs to the second building.

Two dishes at one location is fine. Easiest thing to do as JImbo says it set everything up at the main house and then move receivers to the cottage, I do this all the time between my house and my home office in the yard. Remember you can't use the miniclients away from the genie, so your two HD DVR proposal for the second location is the correct one. It's easiest to order these as a single installation, assuming you have enough TVs in the main house for the installer to set up the installation. The account will have nine tuners (5 for the genie, 2 each for the DVRs) so he will install an LNB in your main home dish capable of supporting 13 tuners. Then you can move the DVRs to the second building.

Yep that was indeed my other thought, set everything up at the main house. The house is old, however, and I don't think the owners are too keen about having lath and plaster walls being drilled. But I will definitely let them know it's an option. Thanks!

EDIT: 13 tuners - yikes! If we do it that way, it will definitely be temporary...they don't watch THAT much TV lol

Yep that was indeed my other thought, set everything up at the main house. The house is old, however, and I don't think the owners are too keen about having lath and plaster walls being drilled. But I will definitely let them know it's an option. Thanks!

EDIT: 13 tuners - yikes! If we do it that way, it will definitely be temporary...they don't watch THAT much TV lol
You won't use the 13 tuners at that location, if you move the 2 HR24's to the other location, but they don't know that, thats what your doing.

IF you get the Genie, a Client (main house) and 2 HR24s (for cottage) thats only 9 tuners anyways, you'd have tuners left available if they place a 13 tuner LNB.
You'd have 5 (genie) in the main home (client/mini works off the 5 from the genie) and you'd have 4 tuners from the 2 HR24s at the cottage.

Yes, they install an LNB capable of supporting 13 tuners but once you move the Hr24s you won't be using its full capacity. But you won't notice any difference from the LNB you are using now.

You won't use the 13 tuners at that location, if you move the 2 HR24's to the other location, but they don't know that, thats what your doing.

IF you get the Genie, a Client (main house) and 2 HR24s (for cottage) thats only 9 tuners anyways, you'd have tuners left available if they place a 13 tuner LNB.
You'd have 5 (genie) in the main home (client/mini works off the 5 from the genie) and you'd have 4 tuners from the 2 HR24s at the cottage.

Got it. It will definitely be the Genie & Client at the main house and two HR24's in the cottage, if we go thru with the plan.

My hope is that the installer, knowing the area is rural, will be easy going enough to simply hook up everything this way; I don't know that we can rig up four rooms in the main house with a TV right now. Are they usually open to doing this sort of install?

You will really confuse things if you talke to the CSR about this. Most of them don't even know you can have two dishes.
The installer will come prepared to install everything in one location. Some of them might refuse to do anything differently. Others can be "persuaded" !

You will really confuse things if you talke to the CSR about this. Most of them don't even know you can have two dishes.
The installer will come prepared to install everything in one location. Some of them might refuse to do anything differently. Others can be "persuaded" !

Yep, I already confused the heck out of a couple of CSR's last week haha...good idea, I won't take that route again.

Appreciate the help - thanks!

When do you have this being done ?
Let us know how it goes.

As soon as they decide on the programming package, I'm going to put the order in. Current offer expires in early Jan so I'd like to get them set up in the next 2-3 weeks.

So it sounds like while the 2 dish setup is totally fine, it's a gray area as to whether the installer will actually rig it up in two separate buildings. Guess will have to feel him out when he gets there.

Oh one other question: does it make a difference if we go through ATT or DirecTV to set this up? Have to say, the ATT store here has been very helpful as far as confirming the equipment they qualify for.

As soon as they decide on the programming package, I'm going to put the order in. Current offer expires in early Jan so I'd like to get them set up in the next 2-3 weeks.

So it sounds like while the 2 dish setup is totally fine, it's a gray area as to whether the installer will actually rig it up in two separate buildings. Guess will have to feel him out when he gets there.

Oh one other question: does it make a difference if we go through ATT or DirecTV to set this up? Have to say, the ATT store here has been very helpful as far as confirming the equipment they qualify for.
You mean thru D* or the ATT Store ?
Not really, I prefer to go thru D*, as you could get addl. offers, where if you go thru the Store, they pretty much have the list and thats it.
Thats just me though.

Do they have ATT service at all ?
If so, they will be able to get a bundling discount.

During my tenure as a tech, I ran into this situation a few times. My solution was to have the customer buy a second antenna and of course they had ot pay extra to have me install the system in the second location. Not a lot. But enough to cover my expenses for the additional materials and time. No biggie.
One time, the customer did not want to pay anything extra. That even when I explained the guidelines of "one antenna to one location and one penetration"....The owner of the homes insisted we rent a ditch witch trencher to run the cabling over to the second house at OUR expense. After giving him the only option available and having the owner of the company have a chat, I ended up walking away.
Irony.....Two weeks later he calls us back directly instead of going through Directv( we were a retailer as well) asking us to come back in do the two antenna install.
Turns out the cable company wanted about $500 to do just the trenching. We charged only $125 for our work,

I am not seeing a problem as long as A) the tech isn't some kind of boy scout and starts prattling on about rules. B) does not mind using the existing antenna on the second dwelling. If this were my job, I'd also make darned sure the antennas are properly aligned for optimum reception.
The only issue I see here is if the tech does not believe the people living in the second home are immediate family and not renters.

It should be fine on 1 account. Talk to your local dealer I'm sure they will be glad to set it up.

If you call 800 Directv to set it up, your probably not going to get the installer to want to set it up because it's like 2 installations.

I have set up fulfillment installs for years. I can never get a fulfillment tech to hook up a receiver in a garage, even if it's via an over head wire. I have never gotten them to install a separate dish.

During my tenure as a tech, I ran into this situation a few times. My solution was to have the customer buy a second antenna and of course they had ot pay extra to have me install the system in the second location. Not a lot. But enough to cover my expenses for the additional materials and time. No biggie.
One time, the customer did not want to pay anything extra. That even when I explained the guidelines of "one antenna to one location and one penetration"....The owner of the homes insisted we rent a ditch witch trencher to run the cabling over to the second house at OUR expense. After giving him the only option available and having the owner of the company have a chat, I ended up walking away.
Irony.....Two weeks later he calls us back directly instead of going through Directv( we were a retailer as well) asking us to come back in do the two antenna install.
Turns out the cable company wanted about $500 to do just the trenching. We charged only $125 for our work,
Should have told him to bury it himself.

I am not seeing a problem as long as A) the tech isn't some kind of boy scout and starts prattling on about rules. B) does not mind using the existing antenna on the second dwelling. If this were my job, I'd also make darned sure the antennas are properly aligned for optimum reception.
The only issue I see here is if the tech does not believe the people living in the second home are immediate family and not renters.

This is helpful to know, thanks for the support here. The family will most likely be around during the install, I'm sure they'll be able to prove they are indeed all related. ;) In any case the service address is the same, there are no multiple addresses at the other buildings (i.e. Suite A, Suite B etc).

Wow.

In that case we are lucky there are two SWM dishes ready to go, and the coax looks to be in good shape. Nope, ain't doing any trenching in their yard, that would be a deal breaker!

It should be fine on 1 account. Talk to your local dealer I'm sure they will be glad to set it up.

If you call 800 Directv to set it up, your probably not going to get the installer to want to set it up because it's like 2 installations.

I have set up fulfillment installs for years. I can never get a fulfillment tech to hook up a receiver in a garage, even if it's via an over head wire. I have never gotten them to install a separate dish.

The reps at 800 Directv were not helpful at all..."we only have Genies, we don't provide HD DVR's anymore, can't do separate buildings" etc. The nice lady at the local ATT store disproved all this, was able to bring up what they qualify for, and although they do have to pay for the receivers, they still get the Genie DVR for free.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts