Install with splitter?

ernie_h

Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
East Texas
Finally had success with second installer to get Joey to see the Hopper, but there's now a splitter in the line and I wonder if this is the best way to do it. Basically, on the install, the cabling looks like this (using the Dish HD outside dish)......Two cables enter the solo node outside the house, but only one on the output side (one marked "to host") that enters the house is being used (the output side marked "to client" now has a terminator in place; the cable does enter the house and is available, but is not being used). The "host" cable is connected inside the house to a splitter.....on the output side of the splitter, a cable runs to the hopper on the "host" side of the splitter, a second cable runs to the joey (from the "client" side of the splitter).

I should say this that he inserted the splitter initially to isolate the cabling for the DISH TV from other cabling in the control box inside the house (the house has other structured wiring, all coming to a central box.....including cabling that allowed the former owners to view surveillance cameras via an unused satellite tv channel........thus it made sense to me for the installer to simplify the system by isolating the cabling as he did.......of course, the surveillance cameras can't be viewed via an unused satellite channel now, but that's a different issue that I'll address later). He could not get the Joey to see the hopper, even in this isolated configuration, until he terminated the signal from the client side of the solo node outside the house.

My question is, is this the best way to do this? Seems to me the splitter inside the house is not necessary [from what I've read on this forum so far.....and I have a lot more reading to do and things to learn.....the cable from the host side of the solo node should go to the hopper, the cable from the client side of the solo node should connect to the joey......all this should be easy to do, as all cables are available for connection in the central wiring box inside the house]. OTOH, if it's six one way and half a dozen the other, I'll leave it alone for now.

Very happy to have found this forum. Hope what I've asked is clear, and my apologies if this has been answered before. Thanks folks!

Just want to correct your terminology, so you will know for future reference, that is not a splitter it is a TAP.

The purpose of the TAP is to minimize the amount of cables entering the house. If you originally only had one cable entering the house then the TAP makes it easier by using just that cable. It is important to have any unused ports on the node to be terminated in order for the system to operate properly.

In my install I have a duo node which requires 3 cables from the dish. Originally I only had two cables but they run all the way around my house and it would be a pain to run a third that way. To make it easier I put the duo node outside, ran a third cable a short distance outside to the node and used the original two cables. Then I used the existing two cables to come off the host ports on the duo node and terminated the two client ports. I had to put two TAPs inside the house but this allowed me to avoid running a third cable around the house and drilling another hole.

Hope this makes sense, it's a little scattered.

Thanks folks.....really appreciate the help. We just moved out to the country, upgraded our sets to HD, and satellite is the only game in town [internet as well as television].....given the problem in the install, just wanted to make sure things were done right.
[Sherrman......it makes sense now, thanks.....kind of scares me :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)