install??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

geneb11

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 18, 2003
I searched but,could not find the answer. Will Directv ship me the HR-20 and Dish so that I can do a self install? This is not my first rodeo:D I own an HR10-250 and I want to keep it. Will I have to play CSR roullette to get a free one? I guess I know the answer to that one.

They definitely wont ship you the dish to do the install yourself. I have seen a few people successful at convincing Directv to just ship the HR20 for self install but that is the exception rather than the rule. Call and ask for retention department so you dont have to play CSR roullette.

With my move to Atlanta area I had D* do the install with 5 lnb and HR20. This was the first time in over 10 years I had D* do an install. Thankfully it was a house with D* already installed so no major work, just the dish and the receiver. I have since added a receiver without D* having to come. I do not believe you will be able to do a self install, but if you are please post so all can are aware.

Thanks.

I searched but,could not find the answer. Will Directv ship me the HR-20 and Dish so that I can do a self install? This is not my first rodeo:D I own an HR10-250 and I want to keep it. Will I have to play CSR roullette to get a free one? I guess I know the answer to that one.

D* should have a free lnb dish for you with free installation too ....
I could have done this too, but said, why bother, let them do it, I had all the coax run and pole in place when they got there, the installer was real happy and real good.

Since then I have placed several AT-9's and spoke with an installer that receintly said the "Slimline " is alot easier to set up than the AT-9.

Jimbo

I have to agree. I did all my dishes in the past but had Directv do the AT9 and dont regret it at all. The installer was great and had that dish more fine tuned then I ever had. Not all installers are good but I am really happy I had Directv do the AT9.

I have to agree. I did all my dishes in the past but had Directv do the AT9 and dont regret it at all. The installer was great and had that dish more fine tuned then I ever had. Not all installers are good but I am really happy I had Directv do the AT9.

Actually, as I mentioned previously, my installer was very good as well as helpful, he knew that I would be doing my own installs after I was aware of the differeces involved.

I have to say, the AT-9 installes that I have done have numbers equal to what I have at my place, so I am pretty confident with what I have done, without a meter.

Jimbo

With the 5 lnb dish, they use a much better meter than I'm willing to invest in. $20 meter is good for your 1-3 lnb dishes.

I installed a Dish 1000+ that uses the 118.7 slot along with 119, and that was difficult to peak using the cheap meter, even using the onscreen meter.

The installers SHOULD have better equipment for peaking. As a customer - best thing you can do is look at the signal screen when they are done peaking the dish and making sure all the sats are in the 90+ range or ask them to re-peak a certain one.

Well she offerd me $299 take off $100 = $199 and $10 off of bill for next 12 months and I keep my HR10-250.I didn't go for it. I'll try again next week

Well she offerd me $299 take off $100 = $199 and $10 off of bill for next 12 months and I keep my HR10-250.I didn't go for it. I'll try again next week

Too bad, that was a very good deal, they basically paid for your HR20 and you didn't take it.
I don't know if they will make the same offer to you or not, they do have notes of each time you call an what was discussed ....

She offered you $ 100 off that equals 199 and that is pretty much standard IF your inmgood standing and haven't gotten maybe freebies in the last 6 months ....

THEN she also offered to give you $ 10 off your next 12 bills that equals another $120 .....
And you wanted WHAT ?????

This is NOT a not for profit company .... Each of these units are listing at around $800 they gave it to you for $ 80 :rolleyes::eek::no:what:what

btw, you can always keep your existing receiver, thats entirely up to you.

I'm really not sure what you want from them.

Jimbo

It was a good deal.The DVR would be $80 after 12 months,but I have heard of people upgrading and keeping their Tivo for shipping cost. I don't have the $200 bucks to kick in right now. I might just trade it in even stevens. It will be obsolete anyway.

It was a good deal.The DVR would be $80 after 12 months,but I have heard of people upgrading and keeping their Tivo for shipping cost. I don't have the $200 bucks to kick in right now. I might just trade it in even stevens. It will be obsolete anyway.

I was one of those. 19.95 shipping and I got to keep my HDTivo. They made it up with programming credits of course, I had to pay the 299.00+19.95 up front but they made good. I made money selling the TIVO on ebay. ;)

If more programming goes MPEG4, HD or otherwise, I am going to need more MPEG4 receivers for said programming. Since the HR20 is the ONLY DVR that does MPEG4 I see myself needing one to replace the R15 I have.
I am wondering what they are going to offer me when I call....hopefully I won't need it in the near future.

It took me 3 separate called to Directv to finally get the $19.95 deal. IMO, it shouldn't have been that difficult, considering I have been with them 8 yrs and have had the Premiere pak for the last 3. They have enough of my money already. I wasn't gonna settle for anything else, but the $19.95 deal.

Anyway, the guy comes for the install next week. It will be interesting to see how he handles the dish install. I did my 1 LNB/3LNB installs myself. I have it on a pole(which I told Directv about, when they set it up, because the new dish uses a bigger pole), in my backyard. When I initially installed it, it had a clear LOS. However, over the years, a massive tree has spread it's branches so that it kind of interferes on rare occassions with 119. I will be having the tree pruned, later this year, but hopefully this won't cause too much of an issue for the installer.

It took me 3 separate called to Directv to finally get the $19.95 deal. IMO, it shouldn't have been that difficult, considering I have been with them 8 yrs and have had the Premiere pak for the last 3. They have enough of my money already. I wasn't gonna settle for anything else, but the $19.95 deal.

Anyway, the guy comes for the install next week. It will be interesting to see how he handles the dish install. I did my 1 LNB/3LNB installs myself. I have it on a pole(which I told Directv about, when they set it up, because the new dish uses a bigger pole), in my backyard. When I initially installed it, it had a clear LOS. However, over the years, a massive tree has spread it's branches so that it kind of interferes on rare occassions with 119. I will be having the tree pruned, later this year, but hopefully this won't cause too much of an issue for the installer.

Just be aware that even though you told D* about the pole, that does not mean the installation company will do another one for free. Poles & concrete are not considered standard installation unless they are required for LOS. If the installer can find another location to mount the dish on your house, and you refuse, that is not a LOS issue and you will probably be charged for it.

I just got off the phone with D* The HR20 and 5 LNB dish will cost me $21.34. The install is setup for 7/22 on a Sunday. I forgot to ask and called back and was told that I keep my HR10-250. At first I asked if they will send a shipping box and she said I own it I keep it. I got her name and employee# just in case. This is the deal that I was looking for:D I was surprised to get a weekend install. I'll put the HR10-250 downstairs and swap out the DVR-80.

I just got off the phone with D* The HR20 and 5 LNB dish will cost me $21.34. The install is setup for 7/22 on a Sunday. I forgot to ask and called back and was told that I keep my HR10-250. At first I asked if they will send a shipping box and she said I own it I keep it. I got her name and employee# just in case. This is the deal that I was looking for:D I was surprised to get a weekend install. I'll put the HR10-250 downstairs and swap out the DVR-80.

Nice job. :up

Trim the tree!!!!!

you might want to trim the trees before hand. Nothing more annoying than a cust. that says oh, just put it in and I will trim the trees later. And if you are putting the pole in yourself, make sure it is plum, it matters on a slimline.

you might want to trim the trees before hand. Nothing more annoying than a cust. that says oh, just put it in and I will trim the trees later. And if you are putting the pole in yourself, make sure it is plum, it matters on a slimline.
Being plum matter on ALL installs ....

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)