Installation advice/tips/gotcha's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sammm

Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
Texas
Hey all, I'm having DirecTV installed this Friday. I'll have one Genie Whole-Home DVR and 2 Genie Mini's. All 3 of my TV's are HD.

Any thing I should be aware of, ask for, or check for while the Tech is here? Thanks in advance!

:welcome to Satelliteguys sammm!

Go over with the installer where you want the dish if you have a preference. He may have suggestions that you haven't considered. If you want the cables routed a certain way, ask him before he runs them. Assuming he knows what he is doing, most other suggestions are moot, like making sure the signal strengths are good, etc.

One thing i would ask is that he installs a cck to get the system on the internet for ondemand.

Or runs a cat5 to the genie from your router, whichever is easiest.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

:welcome to Satelliteguys sammm!

Go over with the installer where you want the dish if you have a preference. He may have suggestions that you haven't considered. If you want the cables routed a certain way, ask him before he runs them. Assuming he knows what he is doing, most other suggestions are moot, like making sure the signal strengths are good, etc.

Thanks for the welcome and the info. I appreciate it!

Maybe restate the obvious.
The installer will need top work near your electric meter so move the boat. He will have to work near your TVs so remove the trophy collection. Put the entertainment center on a forklift in advance. You will be adding a few new receivers and each will need a power outlet...have some power strips around. Installations are one of the few games played without a timeclock so expect some input about an estimated time of arrival but not departure. Make the installer aware of other systems that are currently using coax cable or other systems that you intend to continue using. And the stuff I forgot..........plan to contain the animals...and kids......

Joe

Thanks for the info. It looks like a CCK is something I can add myself after the fact?
Conventional wisdom holds that the installer must hook the system up to your router to avail themselves of all the additional money making opportunities.

Conventional wisdom holds that the installer must hook the system up to your router to avail themselves of all the additional money making opportunities.

The cust is not charged for internet to be connected to the system. So you are 95% wrong, the tech is paid a line item for installing a cck, but it is required for dod which is included free with all packages. Thus it is included with the install cost, which is free for new subs.

Thanks again all. So the CCK should be a freebie during my install tomorrow?

Yes, it shows on all new installs, upgrades, and service calls if an HDDVR or R22 show on the account/work order so don't worry, just make sure to show the tech where the router is before you start the install

Thanks again all. So the CCK should be a freebie during my install tomorrow?

Yes, it shows on all new installs, upgrades, and service calls if an HDDVR or R22 show on the account/work order so don't worry, just make sure to show the tech where the router is before you start the install

It counts towards a matrix that techs need to hit called connectivity, it doesn't "need" to be installed, but "enhances" the system if it is. The reason I mentioned it is because some techs may "forget" to install one, or overlook it. Again as Hutch stated, when you are showing your tech where the TVs are all located just make a stop next to your router and state "this is where my router is for the cinema connection kit to connect to" and move on. If your router just happens to be next to your tv, it is also acceptable for the tech to just run an ethernet cable from the genie straight into the router, and not install an external cck, as it is not needed if the HR34/44 Boxes are directly "fed" with internet.

Umm.. no. Running the ethernet directly into the Genie isn't officially supported by DirecTV, so installers are required to install a CCK.
As to the CCK, if at all possible, ask him to install a Wired CCK rather than the Wireless one. The wireless models have a lot of trouble maintaining a connection (They seem really susceptible to interference).
Once the Tech has left, you can remove the CCK and run an ethernet cable directly to the Genie if you'd like.
One other little note.. If he installs an HR44 rather than the HR34, then it's possible he'll connect it wirelessly with the built in Wireless CCK that the HR44 has.. if he does, and you rather run the Ethernet cable after he leaves, you'll need to go into network setup in the menu (of the Genie), and "Restore Defaults" before connecting the Ethernet..
This is because once its connected wirelessly with the built in CCK, it disables the ethernet port on the back of the receiver. This is ONLY on the HR44.
An easy way to tell if you've got the HR44 Genie or the HR34 Genie is just look at the remote.. If the remote is all white, you've got the HR34, if it's Black and White, then its an HR44.
And if this makes no sense, it's cuz I just woke up and need more coffee.. just post and ask me to clear up the icky parts.. LOL

Umm.. no. Running the ethernet directly into the Genie isn't officially supported by DirecTV, so installers are required to install a CCK.
As to the CCK, if at all possible, ask him to install a Wired CCK rather than the Wireless one. The wireless models have a lot of trouble maintaining a connection (They seem really susceptible to interference).
Once the Tech has left, you can remove the CCK and run an ethernet cable directly to the Genie if you'd like.
One other little note.. If he installs an HR44 rather than the HR34, then it's possible he'll connect it wirelessly with the built in Wireless CCK that the HR44 has.. if he does, and you rather run the Ethernet cable after he leaves, you'll need to go into network setup in the menu (of the Genie), and "Restore Defaults" before connecting the Ethernet..
This is because once its connected wirelessly with the built in CCK, it disables the ethernet port on the back of the receiver. This is ONLY on the HR44.
An easy way to tell if you've got the HR44 Genie or the HR34 Genie is just look at the remote.. If the remote is all white, you've got the HR34, if it's Black and White, then its an HR44.
And if this makes no sense, it's cuz I just woke up and need more coffee.. just post and ask me to clear up the icky parts.. LOL

Good points on the 44, but you are wrong about the tech running the line to the 34. In my office it is perfectly acceptable to hardwire a 34 to utilize the internal cck. The 34/44 are the only allowed receivers to do this as they can send the internet signal back to other receivers. I believe a bsf is needed on the genie to do this, need to recheck documentation.

Hmm.. maybe they updated the policy.. If so, it's a good thing.
No BSF (Band Stop Filter, for those that dont know the term) needed on the Genie. It would stop any network traffic on the coax and defeat the purpose.
You would however need BSF's on any SD receivers (The network traffic interferes with their tuners).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)