Installation advice/tips/gotcha's

Status
Please reply by conversation.
No BSF (Band Stop Filter, for those that dont know the term) needed on the Genie. It would stop any network traffic on the coax and defeat the purpose.
You would however need BSF's on any SD receivers (The network traffic interferes with their tuners).

This is 100% incorrect, please check your documentation, i checked it with a sup, and found it documented at solidsignal. If you are running a straight ethernet to the hr34 (and only in this particular case) you DO INDEED need a bsf on the genie.

Cited: http://forums.solidsignal.com/showthread.php/1251-WHITE-PAPER-A-Guide-to-DIRECTV-Networking

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Just read the Solid Signal Link.. It's good BTW, nice find.. BUT, I think you misread the part about the BSF.. It says to connect it if your going to run Ethernet to ALL the receivers. That way the CCK in the HR34 cant send network traffic down the coax and confuse the other receivers (Particularly Hx24's and H25's).
If your going to run Ethernet to the 34 and use it to feed internet to the other receivers then no BSF.

Ill see if i can mock up an install like this tomorrow to test, i had a sup confirm using the bsf when using ethernet on the 34. But i understand what your saying, ill test it and post back.

The BSF is for the case when you Don't want the feature working on that particular DVR iirc. otherwise it will work on all others.

Install went well yesterday and I went with a wireless CCK. The main Genie is on the north side of the house, and my router is on the south side.

Thanks again everyone.

Excellent, I'm glad it worked out well for you.

Now here's a tip for you... When you have a few minutes, open your guide up and go to channel 1000, then start scrolling down.. All those channels are On Demand.. Seems like most broadcast channels have their own On Demand Channels and there are even On Demand Channels that arent stations (Karaoke On Demand and Magrack for example).. Theres a TON of them.. all with shows you can download whenever you want (Most if not all are free, with the exception of channels 1000 and 1100).
Another On Demand tip: If you want to see if your favorite channel has its own On Demand, just put a 1 in front of the channel number.. example: Food Network is channel 231, Food Network On Demand is channel 1231.
Enjoy your DirecTV!!!

Theres also the triangle on the guide now, you can just hit select on your channel itself. Example, go to 242 in guide for usa, theres a triangle on it, hit left arrow and a popup comes up saying press select for on demand. Hit select, done :). Many threads on people asking about that triangle lol.

The cust is not charged for internet to be connected to the system. So you are 95% wrong, the tech is paid a line item for installing a cck, but it is required for dod which is included free with all packages. Thus it is included with the install cost, which is free for new subs.

Not if you are a contractor............. They don't pay us to run an additional line for the Wired CCK... Now wirless CCK is easy peasy.

@SIG

Reread my post and what you quoted, line item, not the physical line. I was referring to the line item in our billing which would be either the cck or wcck. We all know directv doesnt pay for the actual running of the line, just the equipment.

Although were treading on grounds for the installers zone. So enough said, i just wanted to clarify.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts