Installation in progress - signal strength?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mattopia

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 3, 2005
Parma, OH
Hi all,

My install is in progress. I'm checking signal strengths on the main receiver while the tech is instaling another. I'm only getting 60-75 range on 99(s) and a 0 on TP6, and all zeroes on the first 8 transponders at 103(s) (it seems, I only let it et 1/2 way through or so).

I'm also only getting a 21 on 119 tp 29 and 53 on tp31.

Everything else gives me solid mid to high 90s.

Do these look sane? I'm in Cleveland, OH.

Thanks!

99s and 103s are the spot beam satellites - hence the s (119 is also some spot beams - hence the low readings on some). You may not fall into any of those beams. What are you getting on 103c and 101?

Edit: I see you said all other TP are high 90s. I think you should be all set. Most of the current HD channels come from 103c, so that's a critical one to get as high as possible. Mine here in Buffalo are all 95-99 on that sat.

Last edited:
Thanks! My locals come in flawless so I'm sure I'm good on whatever spotbeam I fall in.

103c is solid and HD looks amazing. I'm really happy I switched - no remorse!

Good news. Glad you're happy. Now get ready for BSG tonight - I think that was a major factor in your switch right?

It absolutely was! It wasn't the only[/ii] reason, but it was the final catalyst.

...and damn did it look good.

Also want to say that the D* installer did an amazing job. My E* install looked like crap, the installer wouldn't listen to me. Bluegrass instaled my slimline on a pole mount at the rear of my property per myh request and did a very nice job overall. I'll post pics of my install soon.

Glad you enjoyed it and you are happy with your decision. You should get the Indians game in HD too on channel 657-1 - if you're a fan. Not sure if you could get them in HD on E* or not. The PQ of last night's game looked great.

A trick I've learned to test my local HD signal strength (note the buffer will be lost doing this, so don't try this while recording or if you want to keep the buffer):

Tune to a local HD channel. Now keypad in the number of another local HD channel. This will result in both sat tuners being tuned to local HD channels. Now press and hold the Info button down for about 3 seconds until the Setup screen appears. Using the arrow buttons, navigate to the System Test tab and then run a System Test. In the results, you'll see the signal strength for each sat tuner, and since you left both of them on an HD local channel, what you're seeing is the signal strength for your local HD channels. Now this still won't tell you what sat or TP your HD locals come from, but at least it will give you an idea of how good the signal is.

Do I have an unacceptable signal strength on 103c? Just had the install today, ran a test just now...

1-8: 80 82 77 82 76 81 76 81
9-16: 76 82 77 82 79 83 N/A N/A
17-24: 63 N/A N/A N/A N/A 86 N/A N/A
25-32: N/A......................

Haven't had any issues yet, but I'd hate to lose everything as soon as we get a medium rain.

Do I have an unacceptable signal strength on 103c? Just had the install today, ran a test just now...

Haven't had any issues yet, but I'd hate to lose everything as soon as we get a medium rain.

They look to be a little on the low side. For comparison, mine are below. It only takes a very slight adustment to see the numbers jump one way or the other.

1-8 : 95 93 94 91 95 93 94 93
9-16 : 95 93 95 94 96 95 N/A N/A
17-24: 98 N/A N/A N/A N/A 95 N/A N/A
25-32: N/A....................

They look to be a little on the low side. For comparison, mine are below. It only takes a very slight adustment to see the numbers jump one way or the other.

1-8 : 95 93 94 91 95 93 94 93
9-16 : 95 93 95 94 96 95 N/A N/A
17-24: 98 N/A N/A N/A N/A 95 N/A N/A
25-32: N/A....................
I agree with Rockaway1836. My 103c readings are about the same as his. I think you will experience problems with your current 70-80s readings.

Am I able to call a no-charge tech out about this? No problems yet but I don't want to wait until a day of issues, and then wait 3 days on top of that for someone to come out.

Considering you just had your install yesterday, I'd think D* would send someone out at no charge to fine tune the alignment. Just have to call and find out for sure though. Or did you order from a local dealer? If so, call them directly and see what they say. Good luck.

After having my install for a few days, I last night noticed that Spike HD and CNN HD were giving a 722 searching for signal error. Other HD channels worked fine.

I rebooted the HR21 and the problems went away. However, I called about it just to be safe and they are sending a tech to check everything.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts