Installation Prep

DBENE

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 26, 2004
I just ordered VOOM today and I live in the Cartersville, GA area.

Some questions.

What is all the talk about different kinds of satellite. circlular oval bigger smaller. Which is the best? Also, should I call ahead and request a certain satellite? if so who, the local installor or the main voom number.

Also, how much hell am I going to have to give the installor to make him not do a diplexor?

And lastly, I tried to get Dish Network installed today and the installor took a look at my deck and said "can't do it here". So, is Voom going to work if Dish does not? he said it would work but I would have to have a long board for it to work(I live in an apartment so a pole is not an option). The guys says that he knows Direct TV would work for me(not a good business move , huh)

Also, what is the recent verdict on the SD channels? the HD sounds great but I dont' know if it is worth it if the SD channels are sucky. :smug

Dbene,

welcome.

Initally Voom installs an 18" dish. Later on it will be changed to a 36" to cover the 72 degree satellite that they are leasing.

There were a few bad diplexors and some reported problems with them. Lately, installations with diplexors have been good. I prefer no diplexor because I can troubleshoot any problems a lot easier. But it seems like there is no difference with it or without it.

I do not know about your location. Can you take a pic of it and post it?

Why doesn't VOOM offer local channels through the receiver in SD format in case you have trouble with them OTA in HD format?

I''ll try to post that pic later although i dont' have a website where I can link the pics. Can I simply upload them here?

Never mind I see that you can attach the file.

Another question, when I try to find my account # on the VOOM site by using my address, it says that my Zip code is a Hawaii or Alaska zip code. I have checked twice and I am definitely entering a Cartersville, GA zip. Go figure.

DBENE said:
any chance this might change with new dishes?

No. They have stated that will not use satellite space to bring every single local channel from every market. If somehow every can accept National local feeds that might change their position but as you know all local stations are against this since it will cut into their advertising revenues.

In a nutshell the answe is no.