Installation question

Imt2011

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Mexico
Hi,
Hopefully someone can help. I have set up everything and spent the morning trying to line up my dish to Starchoice satellites. I got one with 80 signal strength. However the receiver says "Satellite A1".

I do not get any data or image... Is this the wrong satellite?
If so which one is the correct one?
Thanks
IMT

It should say "A4"

Not sure what model receiver you are using, but on the same screen as your signal meter there should see a line that says "EMM Provider ID". In the box provided, key in 4128. If you are pointed to the correct satellite for Shaw, the box should turn green. If it doesn't turn green (stays red), then you are not on the correct satellite.

If you are not on the correct satellite, you need to check to see 1)your receiver is tuned to 299; 2) that your mast is plumb; 3) that you have the correct elevation set; 4) leave your skew at 90 until AFTER you have found the correct satellite, 5) use the Dispointer tab (above), select Anik F2, and enter your location to ensure that your azimith pointing resembles the direction shown on the Google Map. If these elements are correct, you minimize your chances of getting a signal from a "wrong" satellite.

Once you are able to get a "green" upon entering 4128, you can set the skew for your area and then proceed to fine tune the dish. We can help you with this when you get past your present problem.

Last edited:
By "nothing" I presume you mean "no picture" on 299, and the screen says "acquiring satellite signal, please wait"?

This is normal if you have a virgin receiver.

Set the skew for your location if you haven't already done so. Continue to maxmimze your signal by slight movements of the dish back and forth, up and down. If you're getting in the 80's that's excellent!! You may not be able to do much better.

You will not get a picture on 299 (or 99.9% of the other channels) until you authorize your receiver with Shaw. I presume you have a plan in mind on how to do this from outside of Canada? (You haven't given any details about how you got your equipment or how you plan to set up your account....). If so, proceed with authorizing your unit at this time.

I got the equipment in Canada (retail) and we have an address there, so I presume it will not be a problem.. however any advise would be great.
Thanks
imt

Are you on the "Home Away From Home" (HAFH) Program, whereby Shaw knows you are going to set up a Cottage Account? If so, call them now. Once your receiver is authorized, you should get a picture on 299.

If not, then be aware the CSR will know that your call is coming from outside Canada. This is uncharted water for me, so I'll have to leave it to you to decide if you want to embark on this route. Just keep in mind that, other than the HAFH, Shaw is not authorized to provide service outside of Canada. You may have to fabricate some good answers to the obvious questions they might ask.

Another option might be to have a friend in Canada act as the intermediary in a sort-of 3-way call to a CSR.

One more questiion if you please

joshuals, one more question please: what should the second satellite name say A?.

Is there another code to see if it is correct and it turns green?

Thanks
imt

Not sure what you mean by "second satellite" My DSR-319 only has one line for "Satellite Name" My understanding is that it will ALWAYS say A4 if your are correctly pointed at one or both Shaw satellites. At one time I had a generic dish pointed at Anik F2 only, and it said A4. I had originally mispointed this dish at F1R and it STILL said A4. Also, I believe that there is no EMM provider code other than 4128, regardless of what model receiver you are using. If entering 4128 results in anything other than box being green, you are not looking at the Shaw Direct satellite. Note that on my new DSR-319, keying in the numbers 4128 is really slow.....each character takes several seconds to appear in the box.

Not sure I answered your question.....what has happened?

I'm betting your getting a picture on some of your channels and not on others, is that it? If so, send me the longitude of your location in your response......

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)