Bell Ethernet Hookup for Remote PVR in a Grey Market Sub?

VO1ONE

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
It has long been said, don't hook up the phone line to your receiver in a grey market sub as when the receiver phones home they will blacklist it. Other than the convenience of ordering a PPV from the remote, you didn't really lose anything. For a few months now, Bell has been teamed up with Sling Media to provide remote PVR control provided you have your receiver hooked up to the internet. This is a useful feature, but has anyone with a grey market sub hooked up their receiver to the internet to use this? They could certainly find the location of your receiver if you did this, but do they care or even try to? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's tried this.

The Bell 9242 & 9241 do NOT need to be connected to the Internet for you to start or set a Recording via the Bell Web Site.

I use this frequently while at work, to record a show on my 9242's.

I tried this when it first came out and it didn't work using the Blackberry application. I just tried again updating the software on the Blackberry and it worked! Thanks for that. Still there are other features that it is capable of with an internet connection hooked up to the receiver like managing your existing recordings remotely. At least scheduling a new recording is possible remotely without hooking that up.

Yes, I agree, there are many more things available if connected to the Internet.

I just use the Office Computer or Laptop if I suddenly remember a show is on, or if I want to record a news item that is just breaking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)