This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Installation w/Cable Internet Clearification

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TooFastForYa

Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
Troy, MO
I am moving into an apartment and have installation of DirecTV and Charter cable internet scheduled to be installed. I don't know how the apartment is currently wired. I want to understand what is required for both to be installed correctly.

Reading, I see some saying that they can coexist on RG-6 while others say they cannot. So my question is, what do I need to look for when each installer is finished to be sure the services will not conflict with each other, and so that DirecTV is connected to the internet? I understand the best case would be if they each had their own drop, but if they don't I want to make sure the correct hardware is in place. I have read about SWM, diplexors, DECA, ect; what do I need?

Installation Details:
HR34 and H24
Docsis 3.0
Wireless Router

Thanks

you should be fine. The cable should come in on one cable and go directly into a Modem/Router. The DirecTV will come in on a different cable and go to the receivers/TV's
If the DirecTV is getting connected to the internet, then they wil connect through the Router.
There souldn't be any coexistence on the Coaxial Cables.

Just re-read the post.. (It's early.. havent had enough coffee yet)
What to look for:
From the cable guy: Make sure that the coax that goes to the Modem/Router is the only one actually connected. All the other lines should be disconnected from the splitter(s) where the cable comes into the apartment.
From DirecTV: Normal Install

to Satelliteguys!

Internet and satellite must be on separate feeds.

You are right, it's not 100% true, but it's about 99%. Why try to use them together and ask for trouble? Just use separate feeds.

Status
Please reply by conversation.