Installation.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mocarob

Original poster
May 20, 2016
LA
Hello, I recently had a re-install done & have a couple of questions. Hoping somebody can advise.
Since the re-install I've had 771 issues with tuner 2 that go away after a reboot

I have 2 HR20s.. They replaced my dish & LNB. They removed my multiswitch and replaced it with a coupling device that I think they called a grounding block. They removed the ground wire from the original install & didn't replace it. The 'grounding block' I mentioned previously is just hanging loose.. In a separate service call today (re:771) they confirmed nothing is grounded until the DVR is plugged into the wall & this is a supported setup.

Furthermore, When they tested my signal today they only did it right behind the LNB & not inside at the DVR too. Is all of this normal? Thx

Hello, I recently had a re-install done & have a couple of questions. Hoping somebody can advise.
Since the re-install I've had 771 issues with tuner 2 that go away after a reboot

I have 2 HR20s.. They replaced my dish & LNB. They removed my multiswitch and replaced it with a coupling device that I think they called a grounding block. They removed the ground wire from the original install & didn't replace it. The 'grounding block' I mentioned previously is just hanging loose.. In a separate service call today (re:771) they confirmed nothing is grounded until the DVR is plugged into the wall & this is a supported setup.

Furthermore, When they tested my signal today they only did it right behind the LNB & not inside at the DVR too. Is all of this normal? Thx
As for testing your signal, at the dish is fine.

Nope. The outside stuff needs to be grounded.

this

@OP this is NEC stuff. any installer who says different is either ignorant of current code, or lying to get out of doing it. granted, not all installs can be grounded, but if it was previously, then there really is no excuse.

do your HR20's have B-band converters (BBC) connected to the back of them (little black boxes inline with the coax right before it goes into the receiver)? if so, you can do a fairly easy test to see where the problem is. swap the receivers ( leave the BBCs though). if the problem follows the receiver, your receiver is likely dying. if the problem stays in the same room, its probably an issue with the cable or a BBC.

if your HR20's DONT have the BBCs, that means your on the SWiM (single wire multiswitch) system, in which case the receiver is likely dying.

Thanks for the replies. I thought I would be notified via email but missed them somehow. My account was already under case management so when the CSR heard about my complaints they sent somebody else out to rectify.. It only took 3 Svc calls.
I did have BBCs. However, They installed a SWM on this latest call. (which made tuner 2 freak out even more frequently) I know this thing is an old jalopy but with my library of sports on there - I wanted to see how long I can keep it going..

Since they've already told me they dont want it back if I replace it with another HD DVR ~ I ended up popping the hood and cleaned out all the dust inside the box. Re-seating the Tuner boards & noting the part #'s for replacement. (it's been working well for days now) There seems to be 3 boards for the Sat inputs. A main & 2 daughter boards. Hard to tell if it's the main failing or one of the other 2. The secondary boards look like they plug into the main like a coaxial connection. I've looked at cheap HR20-700s for parts but they have a different input orientation. So I assume the boards are different. (I have a -100) Picture attached..

Attachments

• IMG_0460.JPG
    IMG_0460.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 195
Thanks for the replies. I thought I would be notified via email but missed them somehow. My account was already under case management so when the CSR heard about my complaints they sent somebody else out to rectify.. It only took 3 Svc calls.
I did have BBCs. However, They installed a SWM on this latest call. (which made tuner 2 freak out even more frequently) I know this thing is an old jalopy but with my library of sports on there - I wanted to see how long I can keep it going..

Since they've already told me they dont want it back if I replace it with another HD DVR ~ I ended up popping the hood and cleaned out all the dust inside the box. Re-seating the Tuner boards & noting the part #'s for replacement. (it's been working well for days now) There seems to be 3 boards for the Sat inputs. A main & 2 daughter boards. Hard to tell if it's the main failing or one of the other 2. The secondary boards look like they plug into the main like a coaxial connection. I've looked at cheap HR20-700s for parts but they have a different input orientation. So I assume the boards are different. (I have a -100) Picture attached..
Is one of the boards for the OTA ?

The - number designates who built it ... back then they were Pace, Thompson (rca) and one I can't remember .... they were like -100, -500 and -700 from what I remember.
I wanna say -100 was RCA originally.

The 2 silver boxes on the left line up with the OTA tuner input..
The tuner boards I re-seated into the main board had Thompson chips. Since I cleaned everything & re-installed the boards - Everything has been working great.
The tuner would fail every couple of days ~ Now it's been good since Saturday..

Last edited:
Special Hookup? A Deca is connected to tuner 2 and a red device connected to tuner 1.
Also a correction to my original description. The other DVR is HR21.

Special Hookup? A Deca is connected to tuner 2 and a red device connected to tuner 1.
Also a correction to my original description. The other DVR is HR21.
That's it, both should run to a 2way. Power passing side to the deca. Then single coax to the main splitter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)