Installer Expertise Required

MrDRC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 29, 2004
Way South via the Northern Lands
Hi gang,

I've got an H3 and two wired joeys. I just got broadband to my lake house so I'm dropping the joeys from my account for streaming sticks. I need to know what I can remove from my current wiring setup without disrupting the Hopper. I've attached photos that show splitter and diplexer. I'm keeping my H3 and want to use the existing Joey RG6 to connect my antenna to local (distant antenna) channels.

The main reasons I want to do this is lip sync. Local channels don't sync when watched via Dish Anywhere even though on the hopper it's fine. I'm using the OTA dongle for locals so I can easily split that to my former Joey sets. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks...

Attachments

• E5D42AD4-D23C-42D2-91E2-2D3CDB1D5628.jpeg
    E5D42AD4-D23C-42D2-91E2-2D3CDB1D5628.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 096AE074-CAFD-4719-A23B-15FD8FD75EB1.jpeg
    096AE074-CAFD-4719-A23B-15FD8FD75EB1.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 99
It looks like you have a Hybrid Tap (the purple one on the left in the picture). Take that out, and use a barrel connector to connect the cable that was coming into the Tap (to ODU) with the cable that was connected to the Host port (to Hopper). Remove the cable that was connecting the Client port on the Tap to the input of the splitter. Your antenna can then be connected to that input, to feed your Joey locations.

It looks like you have a Hybrid Tap (the purple one on the left in the picture). Take that out, and use a barrel connector to connect the cable that was coming into the Tap (to ODU) with the cable that was connected to the Host port (to Hopper). Remove the cable that was connecting the Client port on the Tap to the input of the splitter. Your antenna can then be connected to that input, to feed your Joey locations.

Got ya! Thanks mate.

Reactions: pattykay
Keep in mind that you will only be able to use one of those streaming sticks at a time. So, if you are trying to watch at the two locations that you had Joeys at he same time it isn't going to work.

Please explain? Why can I only watch one at a time? If I'm independent of anything Dish...seems it doesn't matter?

Please explain? Why can I only watch one at a time? If I'm independent of anything Dish...seems it doesn't matter?
I made the assumption that you were going to use DishAnywhere as a replacement for the Joeys to access your Hopper programming. If you are simply going to use the streaming sticks for other apps it won't matter but you will only be able to have one stream from DishAnywhere.

Last edited:
I mad the assumption that you were going to use DishAnywhere as a replacement for the Joeys to access your Hopper programming. If you are simply going to use the streaming sticks for other apps it won't matter but you will only be able to have one stream from DishAnywhere.

Thanks mate. I have 2 active Dish accounts and it's unlikely I'll need more than 2 screens at anytime at my lake house. Not sure how Dish figures that but don't matter.

I guess after looking at this wiring more, I'm wondering if I can completely removed any diplexer and splitter and just barrel connect the dish feed to my Hopper? That frees up my RG6 to the two former Joey rooms where I can hardwire the OTA antenna. I'm assuming the Hopper is OK with that? Straight connect from LNB feed?

We have a WINNER! Sorry I didn't read your response closer. Works exactly as you described. Thanks bro...

Thanks mate. I have 2 active Dish accounts and it's unlikely I'll need more than 2 screens at anytime at my lake house. Not sure how Dish figures that but don't matter.
Dish Anywhere will allow you to use one stream from each Hopper that is active on your account. (Assuming that is either a HWS or Hopper 3, of course.) If your other account also has a Hopper, you could still stream from that other Hopper to your other stick using Dish Anywhere, at the same time that the first stick is using Dish Anywhere with the first account's Hopper. :)

Dish Anywhere will allow you to use one stream from each Hopper that is active on your account. (Assuming that is either a HWS or Hopper 3, of course.) If your other account also has a Hopper, you could still stream from that other Hopper to your other stick using Dish Anywhere, at the same time that the first stick is using Dish Anywhere with the first account's Hopper. :)

Great! Cheers mate. Good info. Both my accounts have an H3. I removed the diplexer and used a barrel connector to bypass everything. No probs at all. Repurposed the splitter onto my OTA antenna for the other 2 locations and works perfect. No hiccups on the H3 and no lip sync BS on my secondary locations but have to use the “TV” input there. .

Dishanywhere has lip sync probs streaming local channels. Wasn’t a problem when I had locals through Dish via Joey so not sure what’s up with that. No biggie though because direct connect on ”TV” input solved it. Works fine on the primary display connected directly from H3 to TV though. One of those weird anomalies.

Use a good barrel connector(3 Ghz, blue center) in the Hopper satellite line. Stay away from the cheap clear center barrels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)