Installer fun

Status
Please reply by conversation.

yelloguy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
I had my Directv installtion scheduled for today and I had to cancel it because of the [lack of] quality of the tech.

First off, he called twice while on the way to ask for directions because he could not find my address on his map. That sounded ominous but I cut him some slack there. Then he showed up, introduced himself and I told him what needed to be done. He then started assembling the dish in my driveway by READING THE FREAKIN' MANUAL! I have to say it was a funny sight because he was turning it around to match the view. I was pretty sure at that point that my instinct was right and he was a newbie.

But I played along and went outside to help him. He could not figure out how to assemble it and he admitted that he had not done this type of dish in a while. Eventually he figured it out but when he tried to tighten the screws he found that he was missing a spanner. So he asked me if I had the 2-1/2" and I said no.

So as he started mumbling about going to a hardware store to buy it or going back home, I decided to call up Directech and reschedule the install.

In the meantime, I noticed only one LNB on the dish and I asked him if it was enough for a 4 room/1 DVR setup. He said yes and he started showing me a small box that was going to take care of the other rooms. I don't know what was in the box but that did not seem right going by what I have read on these boards. Anyone care to comment on how many LNB's are required in my setup and if all of them are going to be on the [oval] dish?

My install is now scheduled for Wednesday and I have been promised a better tech. I just thought you folks would enjoy this.

If your locals are on 101 (assuming you ordered them) and you are not getting HD, I assume they will instal a single LNB with dual outputs (no need for a PhaseIII dish) and run that to a multi-switch. So that CAN be correct for your needs. BUT if the man couldn't get the dish assembled and was missing parts, you did the right thing.

The "little box" was your multi-switch which you will need no matter what since you will either need 5 feeds if you include the dvr as one of the 4 rooms or 6 feeds if its 5 rooms all together. As for asking for directions I would say when I installed I had to call people about 25% of the time since I couldn't find the house but I don't see what this has to do with installing. Please keep in mind that someone has to get an installer for their first install and since you don't have any idea how to install it yourself why not cut him some slack instead of poking fun on the satellite board?

Yea, I know what you mean, I my first installer dude was a mess, too. He asked me which direction was southwest. After he left, I called Directv to tell them that they need to send another installer from a different company and they were lucky I was patient with this guy. They have to do a better job of hiring these sub-contractors that represent their business. If it were some other people I know, they would have thrown the installer out and called the cable company right away to subscribe. Once the more advanced installer came and adjusted I was good for 6 years through hurricanes, blinding snow and whatnot. Now I am missing my Directv because the apt I moved to doesn't allow Dishes mounted to the building and I have had to get cable -yuck- It sucks compared to Directv in everyway. The system is half digital and the digital is horribly compressed. Even the cable boxes they provide are hybrid- AS shell with pioneer software- go figure. So not worth their overinflated price. Meanwhile I have had 13 cable techs here to try to clear up my picture with no results. It is like watching the clowns at the circus get in and out of the funny car.

deezoneezo, Asking for directions is perfectly cool but it is what happened aftewards that makes it look like a bad sign. In fact the same day a contractor (for my bathroom) came and he asked me for directions all the way. I didn't get on a message board to post about it.

And the previous tech came at my door without any problems so my house _can_ be found easily.

charper, thanks for the explaination. I will be better prepared next time. In fact, if the tech looks like he knows something, I don't argue at all.

yellowguy........try shopping local, most local dealers or retailers have their own installers and in many cases the owners will actually do the install.

wobbie said:
yellowguy........try shopping local, most local dealers or retailers have their own installers and in many cases the owners will actually do the install.

It's true that I occasionally go with my techs to assist on a few installations every month. I must say my techs do a better installation job that I can do. Owners typically have far too much going on and in most cases should not be in the field. I go when our schedule is overloaded or a job is just to big or dangerous for one man to do.

For our nationwide jobs we use our own priority data base of SBCA Certified satellite technicians to ensure the highest quality installation possible in every town across America.

-Robert

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts