Installer is here, 2 hoppers/2 Joeys

sethwell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Booneville, AR
Installer is here, says we are the first from his company to have it installed. Glad I've read all the threads, or most, about the install. More to come later.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Good luck. Make sure he gets the Hopper downloaded and activated before he even hooks up the Joeys.

As always, if he gets stuck, it's better to check on here then have him go back to the store or call Dish. ;)

Scherrman said:
Good luck. Make sure he gets the Hopper downloaded and activated before he even hooks up the Joeys.

As always, if he gets stuck, it's better to check on here then have him go back to the store or call Dish. ;)

When talking with him before, he seemed to know to install the hopper completely first then each Joey. Promising so far.

Almost there!

image-2468094532.jpg

Hoppers are installed and are being activated.

I did chuckle a bit when a second installer came to have the first installer show/remind him how to install the system. The second installer was on his way to his first hopper/Joey install.

Also my installer got a call from his FSM asking for a "how to". I think I lucked out and got the best installer they have. :)

Hopefully the activation will go smoothly then onto the Joey installs.

Well we have one hopper activated with programming and tv is showing but the other hopper is stuck on the receiver setup wizard:authorize receiver screen.

image-3865952569.jpg

It's been on this screen for about 30 minutes.

TG2 said:
do you have any sling adapters? maybe 2 of them since you're going the two hopper route... ;)

No sling adapter. Just trying to get the other hopper activated. The tech confirmed with dish that all the numbers are good and it is activated with dish but the hopper won't go any further.

Good Luck. I had 2 installers here from 5:30 PM until 9:30PM yesterday installing my 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys. Still have some issues I need to check out.

Well the tech was told to reboot and We are still waiting for it to authorize. :( I thought it was honing to go easily, guess not.

I have seen several posts about the second hopper not going through all the way and connecting, I don't think I have seen a solution as yet if it won't. Reboot certainly sounds like a good step....

Last edited:
Reboot didn't work. Now he has disconnected the second hopper from the network so that only the first is connected. Restore factory defaults, and reboot. Awaiting authorization now. Cross your fingers.

Well the tech couldn't get the first hopper to activate. Not sure what happened. it was the first hopper he installed and he let it do it's updates before he even went to hook up the second hopper. no dice, it just hangs on the activation screen like it is waiting to get the authorization from dish but it never comes. they tried removing the hopper from the account, adding it back, sent about 5-6 re-hits and nothing.

we got one hopper installed and up and running so at least we will have some tv tonight, lol except we will all have to watch on one tv. lol reminds me of my childhood, except my tv is 5-6 times larger. :D:D

All in all the tech seemed very knowlegdeable and he had been installing them like what was recommended by Scott, Sherman and the like but this one box would not work. I think it had something to do with Dish's activation or something. we even swapped locations and the one working one still worked and the bad one did the same thing.

I'm dissappointed it won't be working fully tonight but know it will get fixed. He said he would be back tomorrow after they get another receiver. he asked if he should try and hook the joeys up to the one working hopper but i told him that we might hold off until we get both hoppers working, no sense adding more trouble to the install.

from playing with the working one for the thirty minutes or so it seemed very fast. very nice and zippy. the guide is a little harder to read i thought, well at least on my display. probably will just have to get adjust to that from the 722 that was at that location.

hopefully tomorrow will be better and it gets fully installed. Plus my dual dishes got upgraded to a new 1K.2 dish so that was also nice. looks much better at the dish location on our out building behind the house.IMG_1022.JPG

Day 2

Well the Tech left Saturday and we just left the install at one hopper working, with the un-activated hopper connected and no joeys installed. We watched tv on the working hopper yesterday and all was well.

The tech arrives this morning at 8:00a.m. with a new hopper and we swap out the non-working hopper. last night i went to the system info screen and noticed that the 129 block that should be green was red. select details and it says something about a bad tuner. not sure why they didn't look at that yesterday. anyhoo, we hook up the new Hopper and get to downloading and rebooting, all 30-45 minutes of at that. we get to the activation part an within seconds it activates!! Thank you lord!! :D:D:D

we move on to the Joeys, get the kitchen one done in about 15-20 and the bedroom one done too. Houston we are go for Whole Home DVR!!

I felt bad for the tech having to waste so much time yesterday when it was nothing he could fix. Dish needs to find a way to better check the equipment going out into the field before it is already installed. Some QA at the warehouse before sending out units could have caught this bad unit from the start and the installer could have saved a few hours as well as double the gas for the truck.

i made sure to tip the tech good and also gave him a great score on the survey from dish after he left. He was very polite and knew his stuff.

now onto to playing with the Hopper to see what all it can do.

My 2 Hopper/2 Joey install went without a hitch. The only problem I have is that the search isn't displaying results.

I had the same issue when I got 2 hoppers installed on friday, the first hopper wouldn't go past the activation screen even though it was activated. The way he got it to work was doing a Hard Reset, unplugging the power and then back on and it worked like a charm. Hopefully this helps. Also a factory reset was done when he first installed it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts