Installer recommended Superdish for line of sight problem

yelosnow

Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Northern VA
I live in the Northern VA area and am attempting to get local HDs addded. I seem to have a line of sight problem with 61.5, I have large trees blocking the view. I understand I can't fix that. The installer recommended that I call and request a Superdish to pickup 119. I thought I saw that Superdish was be phased out or something.

Does this installer know what he is talking about? Does anyone have another suggestion for me or am I stuck with no locals?

Sure! You can have a Superdish, it's just that the Washinton, DC HD Locals are only on 61.5!! :rolleyes:

VOOM and some other good HD stuff is on 129 however.

--Doug

yelosnow said:
Does this installer know what he is talking about?

No if he is recommending you use a dish of any size to deal with a blockage issue, thats like telling you to get glasses if your having problems with your kids standing inbetween you and your tv. I would call back and have them send someone else out as it sounds like this guy didnt want to do the work.

Van said:
No if he is recommending you use a dish of any size to deal with a blockage issue, thats like telling you to get glasses if your having problems with your kids standing inbetween you and your tv. I would call back and have them send someone else out as it sounds like this guy didnt want to do the work.
I use to think that too....until I saw this guy's website:
http://www.tinotopia.com/directv.htm

JonBlack said:
I use to think that too....until I saw this guy's website:
http://www.tinotopia.com/directv.htm

Notice how he is only showing a roof top horizon level picture of his woods? If you look at the top of his pic you can see that the tree's are starting to clear up so theres speculation as to just how tall or short those tree's are. Most people asume that the satellite dish is looking at a point directly infront of it and in the case of most cband and kuband dish's from the stone age that would have been the case. However with todays offset small dish's the signal coming into the dish comes into the dish's on average of about 10 degrea's higher and depending on your location either to the right or left of the dish and possibly from directly above. I have put in dish's that you would swear would have no signal because it looks like its pointing into the roof yet you go inside and its near fully peaked on the lower sat the dish brings in.

If that guy did anything its most likely that he has delayed the inevitable, the bigger dish he put up does have more surface area but it also sits up a bit higher though not much and in less than 5 years at most Im sure he will be having problems.

Yes, that dish is looking way above what he is showing it is looking at. You don't get in back of the dish and look at the LNB, the LNB hits the dish at an angle and shoots off the dish at a much higher angle. If the elevation is 35, for instance, that is the elevation to look at. The dish surface itself is not at 35 on its surface, only its elevation markings.

Malarkey is what that website's message contains.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)