INSTALLERS NOTiFIED TO SEND BACK RECEIVERS

TYORK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 6, 2004
indy
We were told to send all equipment back by Monday.

I had an installer call me last night to notify me about picking up the stb's and I referred him to this website since I've read about installers not getting paid from Voom lately. They are offering a mere pittance for this service that barely covers the cost of gas and since he has to drive 40 miles to pick up my boxes, he said he might not even do it, especially if Voom is not paying up.

The installer actually tried to sell me on other sat services to justify his trip down here, but since I already have Dish, he did not have any good options for me.

vurbano said:
Verizon fiber is coming your way isnt it? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=530279

"Parts of Arlington, Fairfax and Loudoun counties, as well as the communities of Falls Church, Leesburg and Herndon in Virginia"

15mbps to the home. Id be drooling
LMAO! I have been on Verizon's infamous DSL waiting list since August 2000 - that's a no sh*tter! Adelphia is my only broadband provider and I would kill to get fiber to the home, but it ain't gonna happen. Wal-Mart just opened their 3rd store (2 of them Superstores) in F'burg and I still can't get DSL...much less fiber.

DarrellP said:
I had an installer call me last night to notify me about picking up the stb's and I referred him to this website since I've read about installers not getting paid from Voom lately. They are offering a mere pittance for this service that barely covers the cost of gas and since he has to drive 40 miles to pick up my boxes, he said he might not even do it, especially if Voom is not paying up.

The installer actually tried to sell me on other sat services to justify his trip down here, but since I already have Dish, he did not have any good options for me.

Hey Darrell, if I recall correclty you are in Woodburn, right?
I am down in Albany and last monday a guy called from Portland giving me the same speil. He said he was to pick up the receiver and dish ASAP. I told him Voom CSR told me we had service until 4/30/05 and that we were to keep the dish. He kind of backed off and stated that would be great if they didn't have to remove the dishes. He then tried to sign me up for Dish or DirecTV. I told him I already had Dish and he said, "oh, well ok, thank you". He called from a phone with a caller ID from "Softip Darts". I called Softip Darts and asked about the phone number I received the call from. Lady said that was her son calling from her dart league phone.

I then called Voom and asked why installers were trying to pick up the boxes already. Voom CSR said they are not supposed to be doing that and wrote all the info down.

The thing is, I don't recognize the guy that called at all.
My Voom was originally installed by a guy from Medford. I did have the upgraded dish installed last fall but the guy that installed it was from Salem and he looked hung over and kind of shady.
Question is, how did this guy get my number and why is he being so premature?

DarrellP said:

I would not let loose of leased equipment until notified by Voom in writing. When the installer comes to pick up the STB's get a signed receipt and a copy of the official Voom paper work.

I have a feeling this part of the shutdown is going to be problematic.

kschorz said:
I am down in Albany and last monday a guy called from Portland giving me the same speil. He said he was to pick up the receiver and dish ASAP. I told him Voom CSR told me we had service until 4/30/05 and that we were to keep the dish. He kind of backed off and stated that would be great if they didn't have to remove the dishes. He then tried to sign me up for Dish or DirecTV. I told him I already had Dish and he said, "oh, well ok, thank you". He called from a phone with a caller ID from "Softip Darts". I called Softip Darts and asked about the phone number I received the call from. Lady said that was her son calling from her dart league phone.

I then called Voom and asked why installers were trying to pick up the boxes already. Voom CSR said they are not supposed to be doing that and wrote all the info down.

My Voom was originally installed by a guy from Medford. I did have the upgraded dish installed last fall but the guy that installed it was from Salem and he looked hung over and kind of shady.

This may be the scenario. On ebay for the last 6 months new Voom STB's have been sold for a few bucks a pop. TYORK said after checking on this the installers have to account for the boxes after an audit. Could be this guy is scrambling to make up a head count because Voom is going to charge him big bucks for the missing inventory after the audit. The boxes on ebay had to have come from an installer or they were stolen from a installer.

It could also be that some installers are making it sound like it is "urgent" that the equipment get sent back to voom so that they can make a quick sale.

To this point, I have already had two installers soliciting D*, apparently because they saw the voOm dish on my roof while they were installing in my neighborhood.

negreenfield said:
too bad you'll probably never get higher than 8, and that's on a good day. ;)

Why do you say that. I have fiber thru Surewest rated at 10meg up/down and I get 10/10 just as its rated. I have tested it at dslreports numerous times over the last year and a half I have had it. Fiber is the shiznit man. The only down side is most servers can't send me data as fast as I can accept it. :)

Now, if Surewest would just start carrying HD content on there TV service, they would have a real advantage in my area, they currently supply me Digital TV, Fiber Internet and Telephone service for a flat $110.00 a month. Its a great deal IMHO.

kschorz said:

DO NOT give up your boxes until you call voom first there has been nothing said about us pickup customer boxes.

tyork

Indy said:
This may be the scenario. On ebay for the last 6 months new Voom STB's have been sold for a few bucks a pop. TYORK said after checking on this the installers have to account for the boxes after an audit. Could be this guy is scrambling to make up a head count because Voom is going to charge him big bucks for the missing inventory after the audit. The boxes on ebay had to have come from an installer or they were stolen from a installer.

Bingo I would say you are right on the nail head . The info i recevied that all boxes not return by the installs would be charged big bucks for each .

tyork

Yep, I'm in Woodburn and I will not give up my boxes until after 4/30, I told him so. He was not trying to pick them up early, he was just trying to sell me some other service to justify the expense of his service call.

My replacement stb was installed from the Medford guys, I find that kind of weird when a Portland shop installed me first. The guy who installed my replacement stb was actually was a local from Portland who contracted work with the Medford guys.

riffjim4069 said:
LMAO! I have been on Verizon's infamous DSL waiting list since August 2000 - that's a no sh*tter! Adelphia is my only broadband provider and I would kill to get fiber to the home, but it ain't gonna happen. Wal-Mart just opened their 3rd store (2 of them Superstores) in F'burg and I still can't get DSL...much less fiber.

Not DSL.... fiber to he home. We have DSL here, bu not fiber yet.

TYORK said:
DO NOT give up your boxes until you call voom first there has been nothing said about us pickup customer boxes.

tyork

I wonder if ole Dragon was lookin for boxes, probably sold a hundred on ebay and needed to convert us to D* fast.

But what good are the stolen boxes when, while activating your serivce they want the Serial and Card number. I've seen 3 receivers connected while activating and only as they were activated, they worked. Only an installer can activate a box. All Voom installations were free to the customer, so why pay for one.