Installin my own DirecTV -- parts I need? help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

datamunk

Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
GA
So, I live in a MDU building and have roof access and closet access to the homeruns.

Basically, Im putting the AU-9 on the roof and feeding the coax into the closet directly below. At that point I have ONE coax homerun to the unit and in a panel it splits to two runs (one in bedroom one in livingroom). There is one additional unit with the exact same setup as mine.

We both want 1 HD DVR and 1 HD receiver.

I have a multiswitch but am understanding that will not support what I'm doing. (Zinwell WB68)

I am understanding I need to get a SWM8 and connect my homeruns to that. I have splitters (15-2150 mhz) to put both in the split in the panels, as well as the wall for the DVR to have two feeds in.

Will this all work correctly with that setup?

Let me know if you need any additional info, thanks guys

As long as all receivers you plan to use are SWM capable, you should be fine. All four lines from the AU9 will need to be connected to the SWM8. You could also use the SWMLine dish which has just one SWM output.

Well, I should be able to get the SWM8 for free.

How do I check for compatibility between the receivers and if they will work with SWM or not?

Thanks for your help so far! Looking to find where to buy a swmline dish

If you use the SWM 8, there are 3 legacy outputs for older receivers.

I remember reading a thread about the following receivers that are compatible:
D16(maybe 15), R16(maybe 15), H21/22, HR21/22/23

I could be wrong, but I believe this is the minimum of supported devices.

If its a MDU make sure you have permission to mess with the headend.. I am assuming your "Line" is connected in it somewhere. I am assuming your apartments MDU setup is not MFH2? or they running a 3 sat or single 18" dish? If its a MFH2 setup you will not need the SWM setup as I understand.

You will need...

- Slimline 3 or 5 LNB 4 Port MS built in
- SWM8
- 4 lines from dish to SWM8
- STS-2, 4 or 8 D SWM splitter based on total boxes you have
- You should have taps or a wall plate with a splitter in it feeding the various outlets you have, else you will need to run the lines in your apartment. Those taps from the Headend to your apartment may be an issue unless your apartment is a homerun to the headend.

Receivers that support SWM are..

D12 (Standard)
R16,R22, R23 (Standard DVR)
H20, H21, H23 (HD)
HR20, HR21, HR23

When you swap thier Splitters/Taps out in your apartment you will put that single line "In From LNB" and then out from SWM 1 either to a Power Inserter (PI-21) then to teh STS2 Splitter then to the lines for each room. Or. SWM1 to a STS2 Splitter then put one rooms line on the powerpass out then hook the PI21 to that Wall outlet hen from the PI21 to the first box, and hook the 2nd line up to non powerpass. Make sure you do not power anything up until you are 110% positive everything is correct.

If you have a Box that is not SWM/FSM compatable you will have to run or use the 3 legacy outputs, 1 for NOn-DVR, 2 for DVR.

Wow quite an answer! Thanks for all that detail!

Well, I believe it is MFH1. And honestly, I work for the tv/phone/internet company that services the complex -- we are owned by DirecTV kinda, hard to explain. I am one of the network engineers and we have "plans" to upgrade the property to have an HD plant of whatever sense in it, but is on backburners -- so I dont really know all that much. Did install an MFH3 plant though, that was pretty cool.

But yea, I have access to the roof etc.

The current dish setup is just a big round dish with I believe two coax coming off into splitters and other gear in the phone closets.

I have a HR21 I believe sitting at home, and would be buying a brand new HD receiver.

Will reread y'alls threads a few times to absorb it and do some research before I ask any more questions. Thanks again for the help!

Oh and a quick edit. I have one run from smartpanel in unit to the buildings "individual" head end. For TV each building has its on dish on the roof and then splits out from top closet down. Will be installing my own dish, not touching the companys equipment. Then its split at the smart panel to two feeds (bedroom and living room).

Thanks again!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts