Installing a Ham Radio Antenna

Jim Blevins

Original poster
Jul 14, 2019
Webster Florida
I moved into a Over 55 Modular home resort IE. ( Trailer Park) I was treated like a king until I bought a home then suddenly became a number that pays rent for the lot. I pay a monthly lot rent and own the Home outright. It is permanently anchored and not moveable . I have a hugh yard and exclusive use of it. No one may enter onto it without invitation with the exception of the management to conduct maintance or inspection of the actual property not my home.
I did not get a new Prospectus at the time of purchase and only given one by previous owner at time of completion of sale. It states there are no Ham Radio antennas of any kind permitted on the property ! We have dish antennas and TV antennas erected up as high as over 30' tall outside ? Yet no Ham Radio antennas of any kind. I own a Hustler 5BTV vertical antenna and a 100'x75' back yard but nope ! I have a 75' Oak beside my home, nope no small gauge wire allowed !
Can the owner who is a Horses Arse actually prevent anyone from putting up a Vertical antenna on property they rent and have exclusive use of ? We have flag poles right beside us over 24' tall and 15' feet from my home yet no antennas ??
Jim

I moved into a Over 55 Modular home resort IE. ( Trailer Park) I was treated like a king until I bought a home then suddenly became a number that pays rent for the lot. I pay a monthly lot rent and own the Home outright. It is permanently anchored and not moveable . I have a hugh yard and exclusive use of it. No one may enter onto it without invitation with the exception of the management to conduct maintance or inspection of the actual property not my home.
I did not get a new Prospectus at the time of purchase and only given one by previous owner at time of completion of sale. It states there are no Ham Radio antennas of any kind permitted on the property ! We have dish antennas and TV antennas erected up as high as over 30' tall outside ? Yet no Ham Radio antennas of any kind. I own a Hustler 5BTV vertical antenna and a 100'x75' back yard but nope ! I have a 75' Oak beside my home, nope no small gauge wire allowed !
Can the owner who is a Horses Arse actually prevent anyone from putting up a Vertical antenna on property they rent and have exclusive use of ? We have flag poles right beside us over 24' tall and 15' feet from my home yet no antennas ??
Jim

At one time they could prohibit it. But Ham antennas are covered now. Height is not a clear right however. Some districts such as an Historic District can have rules on height even under OTARD. In addition the owner of the property can insist on a professional, licensed insured installer for some heights of an antanna, and sometimes that a permit be given by the County/Town.

I don't know if it was covered, but for antennas size can be prohibited. (Not talking about height) If you can get what is considered local stations with a small antenna they can not allow a bigger one to get stations not in your market. They can also tell you where any antenna has to go as long as it still gets the proper signal.
In a mobile home park the land you rent is considered not a common area, not just the mobile home itself.

From personal experience on a Zoning board, you can be made to bury/hide wires to the antenna if it is not right next to the house.

There needs to be a law requiring that all public interest blog posts and news articles have date stamps.

The upshot is that many of the two-way radio protections don't apply to HOAs. RF emissions can be regulated at the HOA level and this is how HAM differs from OTA (and why OTARD doesn't apply).

Tampa8 didn't make a clear distinction between private regulations (HOAs) and public regulations (i.e. historical districts). HOAs have the power and it is this power that allows them to say no. Local public jurisdictions can't regulate RF emissions -- something that has taken most of the wind out of wireless tower location arguments and made tower location mostly a rubber-stamp process.

There needs to be a law requiring that all public interest blog posts and news articles have date stamps.

The upshot is that many of the two-way radio protections don't apply to HOAs. RF emissions can be regulated at the HOA level and this is how HAM differs from OTA (and why OTARD doesn't apply).

Tampa8 didn't make a clear distinction between private regulations (HOAs) and public regulations (i.e. historical districts). HOAs have the power and it is this power that allows them to say no. Local public jurisdictions can't regulate RF emissions -- something that has taken most of the wind out of wireless tower location arguments and made tower location mostly a rubber-stamp process.

Harshness,
If I read you right no antenna can be erected on the property. Just to be clear we are not under a HOA of any kind just the whim of this owner who lives in another part of the state. I also was not referring to a Tower just a vertical antenna, although it sounds like it does not matter. We have been in a running battle with this guy for some time now changing rules and regulations at his every whim to the point we as in over 40 residents have had to retain attorneys and start with proceedings with actions against him and his manager. I guess I am just old fashioned and behind the times in that I see no distinction between a vertical 20 foot antenna and a person right beside me being allowed to install a flag pole that could come down on my home yet my antenna would harm no one. Of course there is the old fears of back when a CB operator cranked up a 2000 watt amp and started yelling 10-4 good buddy over every neighbors TV's ? Guess when I am in charge things will change ??

Reactions: navychop
Jim Blevins forgot to WELCOME you to SatelliteGuys!!

This really needs it's own thread as it has nothing to do with OTARD, but this does show the distinction.
What you need to do is keep an eye on the Amateur Radio Parity Act. That is what keeps trying to get pushed through every year; they keep getting closer.
Keep up with what the ARRL put out in their newsletters and read on QRZ.com.

Sound like your land owner has had a bad run in before. I have seen this also, where one bad apple spoils the whole bunch.
....or maybe with everything you have said, he is just a butt about everything.

I think y'all might be missing the one and only truly relevant point - the op doesn't own the property, therefore he is subject to the rules of the owner and if the owner says "no ham antennas" all other discussion is moot.

Imagine the bad press if you were told to take down a flag pole with old glory flying when the news team is out shooting the story.
Perhaps no worse than the outrage about disrespecting the flag by mounting something above above it on the flag pole. We had a local come under fire for mounting his wind gauge atop his flag pole. Nobody was amused when he declared the wind cups an "animated fineal".

What if the ham antenna was mounted on the house itself, like a TV antenna would be? Would it be any less of an issue? Better yet, what if the antenna was mounted on the car in the driveway. Maybe in the weeds here with these ideas. These might at least buy you some time while you are shopping for stealth antennas.

It states there are no Ham Radio antennas of any kind permitted on the property !
if the owner says "no ham antennas" all other discussion is moot.
What if the ham antenna was mounted on the house itself, like a TV antenna would be?
You're way out in the weeds here because no amount of reasoning or attempted application of inapplicable policy or statute can overcome the explicit prohibition by a non-public property owner.

Unless the TS can convince the property owner to create an exception or remove the policy altogether, there will be no ham activity on the property. Due diligence is no laughing matter.

An HOA rule against antennas installed on the property does not include your car. You can install whatever hideous antenna you want on your car then run coax into the house and operate. So start shopping for a big ugly High Q "Piranha" HF mobile antenna and a VHF/UHF vertical for your car.

Yes, there are some basic considerations like unplugging cables before you drive off but it can get you on the air legally. There is a guy in the wealthy city of Rolling Hills, CA where average house prices are over $3mil and EVERYTHING is illegal. The city gave this guy grief about putting up antennas so he pulled up with a giant trailered crank up tower, I think it was at least in the 40-60ft height range. It sat in his driveway all the way up while he went to battle with the city and he finally won the right to put up permanent antennas.

You can also put up a big TV antenna then load up the mast and antenna with an auto tuner working against a metal roof, rain gutter, etc. Technically its a TV antenna which seems to be allowed and the fact you hook an amateur radio to it is inconsequential.

All very shrewed until the you drive off and forget to disconnect the cable.:no

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)