Installing a used c-band BUD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jluyt

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Hi all,

I recently got a used BUD and am looking at installing it soon. But as a BUD newbie, I have LOTS of questions.

My aim is to install the dish now and get it working with minimal investment. then a few months later, I will look at buying a 4DTV receiver and getting it going with DIGI + ANALOG. I already have a KU system working with a Sonicview receiver - love it.

I was thinking of getting the BUD working with a VBOX for now, sound like a economical option for now?

I attached some images to help. Excuse my terminology, I am still learning so it might sound basic, but I will appreciate some help on the terminology also.

Feedhorn:
From what I can see, I have a Chaparral feedhorn, right? The blue box behind it is the servo motor, right? As you can see the the plastic ring around the feedhorn as well as the cap on it is damaged. What are these called and where can I buy these replacement parts? OR, is it not that imperative that they are cosmeticly appealing?

LNB:
The c-band LNBF specs are:
Mini-Mag 140011
Input: 3.7 - 4.2 ghz
Output: 950-1450 Mhz
Gain: 65 db
Noise: 30k

Will this do? I assure this is for analog only, right? Since for not I just want to get this going, but in the future want 4DTV, what is the best rount to follow? I have a seperate KU system already (Sonicview 4000, Invacom lin/cir model).

Actuator:
The Actuator is a SuperJack II+ HQ. ok?

Dish:
Although I have the basic idea how the actual dish panels have to be put together, I have been wondering what will keep the 4 panels together. I have an additional circular plate, which I think will hold them together, but still wondering.

Mount:
As you can see I have some rust on the mount. I have been wondering if I should treat the rust first. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• fh-3.jpg
    fh-3.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 305
  • fh-ring.jpg
    fh-ring.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 289
  • lnb.jpg
    lnb.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 284
  • actuator.jpg
    actuator.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 265
  • cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 327
  • rust.jpg
    rust.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 287
  • fh1.jpg
    fh1.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 280
welcome to the group :)

to tune analog you would have to have a analog receiver .

the servo is controled usually withthe analog receiver or 4dtv receiver or some DVB receivers can do it ( not all )

since you already have a sonicview DVB receiver you could tune digital channels with the big dish and diesqc it into your current system as a stationary dish and add a v-box/ g-box later

What are these called and where can I buy these replacement parts? OR, is it not that imperative that they are cosmeticly appealing?

the feedhorn cover ring & the lnbf cover aren't needed but assist with keeping things out of the feedhorn area.

Although I have the basic idea how the actual dish panels have to be put together, I have been wondering what will keep the 4 panels together. I have an additional circular plate, which I think will hold them together, but still wondering.

there are a couple of bolts for each section that hold the sections together and the circular panel is the center support plate.

The Actuator is a SuperJack II+ HQ. ok?

this actuator should work fine

LNB:
The c-band LNBF specs are:
Mini-Mag 140011
Input: 3.7 - 4.2 ghz
Output: 950-1450 Mhz
Gain: 65 db
Noise: 30k

Will this do? I assure this is for analog only, right? Since for not I just want to get this going, but in the future want 4DTV, what is the best rount to follow? I have a seperate KU system already (Sonicview 4000, Invacom lin/cir model).

this should work fine for c-band digital & analog but might be a bit noisy for 4dtv and require a lower temp lnbf (newer)

Mount:
As you can see I have some rust on the mount. I have been wondering if I should treat the rust first. Any thoughts?
wire brush it and repaint

Thanks gabshere... so much

since you already have a sonicview DVB receiver you could tune digital channels with the big dish and diesqc it into your current system as a stationary dish and add a v-box/ g-box later

I thought I could not position the dish with the DVB and needed a v/g-box to position it. Does the v/g-box not convert diesqc to voltage pulse? Connecting the BUD directly to my Sonicview will not work, would it?

what size is the dish?

8 foot.

yes you can't position the big dish without a mover , mentioned above set it as a stationary dish and add mover at a later time. so you can point it at one satellite and diesqc it in. and later add a mover either v-box/ g-box or a analog receiver/ 4dtv receiver.

connecting the stationary big dish to the sonicview would also only get one polarity with the current lnb & feedhorn.

i've had a v-box, analog receiver and a 4dtv and i don't watch a lot of analog , didn't want to subscribe to a 4dtv and found the v-box III limited on its movement accuracy with my current actuator . my next choice would be a g-box type mover.

So if I connect the BUD as a fixed dish, I just connect the BUD to one input of a dieceq switch?

If I later decide on connecting the motor and evrything, do I need power at the dish? or does it get power from the receiver/gbox ?

So if I connect the BUD as a fixed dish, I just connect the BUD to one input of a dieceq switch?

thats correct

If I later decide on connecting the motor and evrything, do I need power at the dish? or does it get power from the receiver/gbox ?

yes you would need a cable to hook up to the actuator & v-box/g-box or analog / 4dtv receiver.

if you have to run coax to the dish you might want to plan on running the cable to power the actuator & servo at the same time to cover future expansion.

So, unlike the diceq motor on my ku that pulls power from the receiver over coax, the actuator (and motor) will need 120v?

It might be useful to identify the dish. Could help if someone recognized it.
Probably not mandatory, as many of the parts are familiar, even if not identified.

In your somewhat small pictures, I didn't see what could be called "the mount"
I'll assume if you have a motor, you have all the pieces necessary to put the dish on a 3..4" pole, and also accept that motor?

Are the 4' poles in the picture with the dish wedges, the support struts for the feed?
I'll assume they go between the dish, and that round metal plate you photographed with the feedhorn (Chaparral)?
...the plate that appears to be eaten partly away...
I'm guessing the scalar ring bolts to that plate, the feedhorn goes through the scalar ring, and then plate bolts to those 4' struts.

Just hope you have all the parts. Wish ya the best!

What you see on the pictures is what I have. I have the bag with buts and bolts, so I hioe I will have it all. As for "motor", do you have a photo so that I can confirm what I am looking for?

yes, I will take an additional pic later today of the whole mount.

Good morning all,

Well, last night I put together the dish panels (only). Hell, it was a difficult task. I really think it will be a 2-man job to put this BUD up once I have the pole in the ground. I cleaned the rust off the mount also and will re-paint it today.

Next question is about the pole for mounting. What are my options when it gets to mounting the dish? I can not mount it on the ground, I have no visibility, so it has to be on the roof. I understand the main menthol is on a pole going straight up, but I want to know what other options there are for mounting.

They used to make a universal mounting kit for roof mounted dishes that could support a 7.5 ft KTI dish, you might search dealer web pages for one.. Also you might luck out and find a dealer who may still have one laying around or maybe someone reading this might point you in the right direction

Is your roof flat?.

Checkout this web page they have all kinds of mounts..just up road from me and didn't even known it.....nothing on cost.

Baird Satellite Supporting Systems - The OFFICAL site for your Baird Satellite Support Systems. - baird, bairdsatellite, bairdsattellite, baird satellite, baird sattellite, baird mount, bairdmounts, roofmount, orlie, non-pen roof mount, nonpen mount,

Last edited:
nice site, thanx so much. i will see if they have a mount that will work for me. i do not have a flat roof... but a nice roof mount could help me out here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)