Installing Dish network myself?

no limit

Oct 7, 2008
Hello,

I have a VIP722 DVR through dish network without the dish or any other equipment. I don't really want to sign a contract with dish so I want to buy what I need to hook this receiver and install it myself. Does anyone know what is required to do this? I need to pick up HD and will be using the dual tuner DVR. I will be using just this one receiver for now. I am not allowed to post a link but on ebay I am looking at the following item:

Dish Network 1000.2 Kit with Triple LNB (NEW in BOX)

Is the dish with the lnb all I need? And do I need the 1000.2 LNB? Do I even need a 1000.2 at all? Won't a 500 work?

Thanks for any help.

Yes this LNB has a DPP44 switch built in for up to three dual tuner receivers. You will need RG6 coax that is sweep tested to at least 2.7 Ghz. The seperator should be with the receiver, ( this is not a splitter but a seperator) it's used to seperate the signal for three sats into the receiver

So let me see if I understand this, and I'm a newbie at this so my apologies if this is a stupid question.

Yes, I have a seperator on the receiver. It has one input and 2 outputs to the receiver. What do I hook the input up to? The satellite dish directly?

Also, is there a good place for me to buy this kit? The ebay auction I pointed to is ending soon and the seller doesn't seem trustworthy. I really would like to keep this under $75. Thanks again for your help.

I see the following kit on one of the sponsor sites:

sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Dishnetwork/Dishes/Dish-1000point2.htm

I think this is the same kit as on ebay. This will work and be everything I need (other than the cable)? And can I get it cheaper anywhere? $99 + shipping seems high. Edit, actually it looks like I found some more on ebay for around $80. I was hoping to pay less but this might work.

I don't understand why people are so paranoid about the word "commitment". There are actually advantages to the contract....

If you install it yourself, you have NO warranty. LNB goes bad (which they do), you have to buy another one yourself. That alone negates anything you saved initially. Receivers go bad too, as do all electronics.... particularly in the case of DVRs... they produce a lot of heat and typically have a much shorter life span than older, standard receivers. You're forking out a few hundred bucks right there when that happens. Also, if Dish decides to switch technologies and phase out the old, you lose service unless you go out and buy the new equipment.

Not to mention the cost of the tools and cabling and connectors.

What exactly are you afraid of? Sign up with Dish and get your system installed for free.

So let me see if I understand this, and I'm a newbie at this so my apologies if this is a stupid question.

Yes, I have a seperator on the receiver. It has one input and 2 outputs to the receiver. What do I hook the input up to? The satellite dish directly?

The separator allows you to use one line from the satellite dish instead of two for a newer dual tuner receiver. The satellite line connects to the input port of the separator. The two coax lines from the separator connect to the two sat in ports on the 722.

In what geberal geographical area do you live? What sat are your HD locals on? If 129, the 1000.2 will work fine unless you are near the edge of the satellite footprint. If your HD locals are on 61.5 or you're near the edge of the footprint, you likely need two dishes.

Hello,

I have a VIP722 DVR through dish network without the dish or any other equipment. I don't really want to sign a contract with dish so I want to buy what I need to hook this receiver and install it myself. Does anyone know what is required to do this? I need to pick up HD and will be using the dual tuner DVR. I will be using just this one receiver for now. I am not allowed to post a link but on ebay I am looking at the following item:

Dish Network 1000.2 Kit with Triple LNB (NEW in BOX)

Is the dish with the lnb all I need? And do I need the 1000.2 LNB? Do I even need a 1000.2 at all? Won't a 500 work?

Thanks for any help.
where are you located?.... your location will determine what Dish or dish combination you need.

Sorry about the delay in my response, for some reason email notifications stopped working so I assumed there were no more replies until I checked back today.

I am located in Albuquerque New Mexico. Thanks for the help.

I found the following at the dish store for a bit cheaper, would this still work? I can't post links so this will have to be copied and pasted.

dishstore.net/product_info.php?products_id=292

Yuor link looks like the home page why not just post what you are interested in or just give Claude a call. He won't bite your head off and he can be very helpful.

Instead of clicking on the link you will have to copy and paste it, I'm not allowed to post links since I don't have enough posts. I can try calling him in a bit, I just know a lot of people don't like to deal with stupid questions on the phone :). thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)