Installing offset dish with 22 deg angle onto a polar mount

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

adrian

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
Anyone out there who has done such an installation?The dish is 90 CM and the polar mount will be moved with an actuator.

A few hundred!

Is this a polar mount from another dish or is it designed for this dish?

Are you use a mount with a built in drive (AKA Horizon to Horizon or HtoH), or are you using a linear actuator arm?

Offset dish on Polar Mount

The polar mount is self made ,copied from my C band polar mount.I am using a linear actuator.

It's a mount that points to the poles. In one direction it points to the North Pole and in the other direction, it points to the South Pole. Hence the term, "Polar Mount".

Al

Polar Mount

A polar mount is designed to allow all visible geostationary satellites to be accessed by swinging the antenna around one axis(the main axis).This allows one positioner or actuator only to be used to remotely point the antenna at any satellite.(by courtesy Satsig)

The attached PDF file illustrates a polar mount I'm designing for my 1.2M Channelmaster. I plan to use the original Channelmaster post mount/dish bracket and adapt .5" pillowblock bearings for the polar axis. Anyother parts should be available at any local W.W. Grainger and Lowe's store. However, I've found some brass bushings that may work better to reduce the overall size and will initiate another layout to see if they will work. The mount will be actuated with a 12" or 18" linear dish actuator and you'll need an old IRD receiver to drive it.

I'll be glad to share my design with those interested when I get it working.

Attachments

• Polar_mount.pdf
    10.8 KB · Views: 441
The mount will be actuated with a 12" or 18" linear dish actuator and you'll need an old IRD receiver to drive it.

...or a Vbox...
Yes, please do. Always interested in well documented projects.

Very nice Caddata. Last year I developed a mount for my 1.2 Channel Master dish and moved it with a SG2100 H-H motor. It worked very well, but got stuck a few times down on Galaxy10R when it was too low for the motor to pull it up again. It didn't happen very often, but when it did it was a pain to go out and get it back up again.

I am very interested in your design and please keep us all posted on your progress.

The attached PDF file illustrates a polar mount I'm designing for my 1.2M Channelmaster. I plan to use the original Channelmaster post mount/dish bracket and adapt .5" pillowblock bearings for the polar axis. Anyother parts should be available at any local W.W. Grainger and Lowe's store. However, I've found some brass bushings that may work better to reduce the overall size and will initiate another layout to see if they will work. The mount will be actuated with a 12" or 18" linear dish actuator and you'll need an old IRD receiver to drive it.

Although this post is now three years old, it would be nice to know if he ever finished the job.

Sorry to say I never got past the early design stage. Saved a 1.8M from the scrap heap and gave the 1.2M to a fellow member of this board.

Harold

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)