Installing satellite for 14 TVs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

xUltra

Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
I need to install a satellite TV system... either DirecTV or Dish (deciding) for a house and set it up for 14 rooms. So far I think I need a regular KaKu dish, the 14 recievers, and a 6x16 powered multiswitch.

Basically I would need to install the dish on the side of the house and run 4 coax wires to the basement where all the coax splitters are that go throughout the house.

I got quoted for an install (since its qualifies as a business service) for $1500 for the installation, which is absolutely ridiculous.

I've installed Dish before with a friend but nothing on this scale. Is it really as simple as it normally is with 14 recievers?

Anyone in the Bloomington-Normal area that installs?

Why DO you need 14 receivers? Are there actually 14 people in this house?
You really need to step back & relook at this - you really need to rethink this as needing 1 receiver per person, THEN modulating them throughout the house & then using RF remotes.

I got quoted for an install (since its qualifies as a business service) for $1500 for the installation, which is absolutely ridiculous.

NOT all that ridiculous, really - you DO realize that neither D* or E* is going to give you 14 receivers for FREE, don't ya? And techs are NOT going to wire them all up for FREE, either. E* will not even activate 14 receivers on one residential account. (normally the limit is 6, either single or dual tuner types)

Thats definitely a commercial level install unless you set it up as three seperate accounts with two of the accounts having 5 receivers or you do some mirroring on a single account with 6 receivers. It very well could be a family though and I know of a couple homes back in Michigan where the head of the house had his parents plus his wifes parents and several brothers and their wives and kids lived all under the same roof in what you would have first thought it was a mansion or a hotel.

When I was in college my fraternity house had a setup like this, but we still got a normal installation from a regular installer. They'd just warn us when we added more receivers that "any more and you'll be considered a commercial account" but it never happened :)

LOL the reciever mirror charges alone would be over 70 dollars?

I sure wish at some point they change these fees; I can see something like:

RECV 1 - 3 included

RECV 4 - 6 + $7/mo total

RECV 7+ (up to whatever they deem commercial) + another $7/mo total

They really need to raise that limit by a few. I live in an average sized house and I have 8 TV's. So what if I wanted Dish? They tell me I have a commercial account? I sure hope not.

I had a job last week where a customer has had 7 receivers for years 6-311 and a 510 so he upgraded one of the 311 to a 612 and a few days later D* shut down one of his 311 saying he was not allowed 7 receivers even though he has had them for years. So they had me replace 2 of the 311s with a 322 that way they had 7 tuners but only 6 receivers on his acct.

The fee's are fine as they are and if you can aford more tv's than the average househould you can aford the fee's for the mirroring to the additional tv's or the need for additional STB's.

Hotels do use commercial grade equipment that wont be any more readily aforedable for the average consumer to purchase but again if this is a single customer with a large family with a house that large then theyr gonna have to pony up some coin to get what they want. The best bet they would have is to call directv or dish to get ahold of the executive offices of either location to enquire about a custom account for a residential customer to have 14 tv's but if this isnt a residential customer then your looking at a commercial grade job and those fee's will apply.

Or you could just get Cable and have 20 TVs in the house for the same price. (you would only pay extra if you WANTED a box on each TV.)

you could do this with 7 dual tuner receivers and 2 DPP 44 switches with dish network.... they allow 6 receivers per account before they make you start a seperate account (and double your programming fees)... however you also have to outright purchase any receiver(s) that would put you past 4 tuners... so you would be purchasing 5 receivers...

There IS a way to get around the receiver limitation, but it is really tough to pull off... you have to speak with the Executive Resolution team and they will require that each and every receiver be plugged into the same phone line at the same time so they can verify they are all located in the same location.... this is to prevent "Account Stacking"... i.e. activating receivers on your account and selling them to other people to hook up to their own dish

I should have said the Audit Team, not Executive Resolution Team btw... but if you get the ERT, they will make sure you get in touch with the Audit Team anyway :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts