Instructions for Adding the 61.5 - revised 05/04

That's the problem. You don't know what you have, and I can't help you without that knowledge. However, you probably have a 500Twin and a legacy Dual. If so, you will either need to change the 500Twin for 2 more legacy duals and get an SW64. Run 2 lines from 3 of the locations into the SW64, and connect ports 2 & 3 to SW21s to tie in that 4th location. Port 1 needs power insertion, and will kill an SW21. Complicated? Yup. Or, get a DP Twin, 2 DP Duals, and either a DP34 and 2 DP21s or a DP+44. Fairly expensive either way.... :(

I would NOT try using a 500 Twin since the SW21 may not see the second 500Twin. If need be I will try it in the next few days and see what happens.

I tried and it didnt see the 2nd twin. What do I do now?

larrystotler said:
Using a DPTwin on a D500 to get the 61.5:

1. Set the skew of the D500 at 90 degress so that the arm is not tilted.

What do you mean, so that the arm is not tilted?

i have beenn thru this before but...here goes: I have a dish twin500. there are 2 sw21's up by the dish--I have two leads coming down for two teceivers. Voom was added later. I was told to combine the 110/119 and the 61.5 leads into anothwer sw21-- I get 2 of three positions but never all theree(110+61.5 or 119+61.5) IS THERE ANYWAY TO SEE ALL THREE SATELLITES W/O GOING UO TO THE DISH AND ADDING/CHANGING SWITCHES???All three positions are available-- 110 and 119 off my original feed and 61.5 off of voom; there has to be some way to easily see all three.ONE MORE THING--IS ANYONE ELSE GETTING INCORRECT GUIDE INFO FOR GUYTV????

mattyro said:
i have beenn thru this before but...here goes: I have a dish twin500. there are 2 sw21's up by the dish--I have two leads coming down for two teceivers.
Sounds like you have a Dish dual500 (not twin) if the dish is hooked up to two SW21's that feed each receiver. Larry's excellent FAQ explains how to hook up 61.5.

Assistance Please

I read through the first post and just want to verify some things.

I currently am subscribed to Dish top60 along with the HD Pack. I therefore believe that I have the DPTwin getting 110 and 119. Currently I don't have any switches....I think that one of the cables goes to my 301 receiver and the other goes to my 811. Does that all make sense? Is that a normal install?

Anyway, I have an old D* dish and LNB. If my reading of the first post is correct, I can just take the signal from the D* dish pointed at 61.5 (Do I need a E* lnb?), and feed it along with the cable from the DPTwin (through a DP21) to my 811.

Is that correct? If not, what else do I need? I'll attach a picture of my LNB to help identifying it.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• lnb.jpg
    lnb.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 164
Innova, you have a DP Twin. The D* LNB is legacy and can not be used with the DP21 switch (correct switch, wrong LNB). You will need an E* DishPro LNB and will find that its D-shaped mount won't fit on the D* rectangular arm w/o modifying the arm so it may be less hassle to just get a dish too.

Thanks for the response....too bad it was bad news! ;)

Have there been any updates about Dish moving the channels to different birds? I don't mind spending the money for a dish/lnb as long as they don't move them next month....

Innova said:
I currently am subscribed to Dish top60 along with the HD Pack. I therefore believe that I have the DPTwin getting 110 and 119. Currently I don't have any switches...

You have a switch. The DPTwin is a switch. That's why I said to go to the Menu/6/1/1/checkswitch screen. It TELLS you the installed switch configuartion. As for the D* dish, I stated that D* and V* dishes are NOT DP compatible.........sorry. :no

jwprimetime said:
What do you mean, so that the arm is not tilted?

The D500 is designed to be skewed. That basically means the way the dish is tilted. WHat you want to do for a single sat install using a D500 is to make sure that the arm is parrallel to the ground like a single sat dish.

mattyro said:
I have a dish twin500. there are 2 sw21's up by the dish--I have two leads coming down for two teceivers. Voom was added later. I was told to combine the 110/119 and the 61.5 leads into anothwer sw21-- I get 2 of three positions but never all three

As I stated. Those with a D500 with 2 Dual LNBs and SW21s CANNOT add another dish in with another set of SW21s. You CANNOT cascade the same switch twice. The only way to resolve this is to either replace the 2 duals with a 500Twin, replace the 2 SW21s with an SW42(which are fairly rare.....I actually have 1 or 2 but have no idea if they actually work....the SW42 is basically the same as a 500Twin) or get 2 SW21X's from Microyal. They are basically 1/2 of an SW42. Good luck.

larrystotler said:
As I stated. Those with a D500 with 2 Dual LNBs and SW21s CANNOT add another dish in with another set of SW21s. You CANNOT cascade the same switch twice. The only way to resolve this is to either replace the 2 duals with a 500Twin, replace the 2 SW21s with an SW42(which are fairly rare.....I actually have 1 or 2 but have no idea if they actually work....the SW42 is basically the same as a 500Twin) or get 2 SW21X's from Microyal. They are basically 1/2 of an SW42. Good luck.

Will a sw64 work?

Yes. And it will give you the ability to have 4 receivers/tuners and will allow a 4sat config with the SW21s if needed in the future. I had not offered that since you only have 2 receviers.

I have a first generation Dish Network system for lack of a better term. I bought it in 1996. I've had a 3000 series receiver since the original installation. I later attached and activated a 301 series receiver. It always worked great.

The lack of equivalent HD at E* forced me to go with Voom when I upgraded our TV.

The following is a list of equipment I currently have and plan on using:
811 receiver
301 receiver (this I plan on upgrading when I replace the SDTV with HDTV)
Voom antenna (dual LNB)
Pre Dish 500 antenna (dual LNB)

Note the attachments. One is of the Dish Network dual LNB and the other 2 are of the switch that was provided during the Voom install.

What I'd like to know is what do I have that is still useful and what do I need in order to make a two TV system configuration work at 61.5 and 110/119.

When I got the 811 the other night, I hooked it up and had it activated and I can currently get OTA off of my aerial antenna as well as Voom off of the 61.5 pointed dish.

Thanks in advance,

me

Attachments

• DSC00003.JPG
    DSC00003.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG
    219.9 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC00006.JPG
    DSC00006.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 198
When you say Pre-D500, do you mean the original single sat Dish Network labeled dish? If so, which sat is it pointed at? As for what you have, the multiswitch is a simple 3x4 switch. It wasn't really neccessary, however, it was probably used instead of 2 diplexors(that switch has a built-in diplexor) at the dish. If you have a single sat dish, I would see about replacing it with a D500, preferably with a 500Twin so that you can get the 110/119, and then you can tie into the existing V* dish with an SW21 for the 811. However, if you are planning to add a 942, you would be better replacing the V* dish with the old E* dish, getting the D500, getting a DP+ Twin & a DP Dual would be the simplest way to do it. Good Luck.

Thanks for getting back to me. When I say pre dish 500 I mean exactly what you say. It was that single dish Pointed at either the 110 or the 119 position. I kinda remember going into the diagnostics screen and seeing that on various occasions.

I will get the D500 twin and an SW21. I don't want to replace the Voom dish because it is already pointed. A 942 would be great. Would it eliminate the need for the 811 and 301 because it has dual tuners? I might add that in the future. I'm getting the impression the 301 would be obsolete and useless for the HD configuration I'm seeking, or would it tie into the line and only unscramble the SD signal. If not, I will eliminate the need for satellite in the second room with the SDTV until I replace it and buy a dual tuning receiver like the 942 in the future. I can't see wasting another $125.00 to $200.00 on another 811 because eventually I want to leap into the new millenium with a DVR. You've been very helpful.

Thanks again,

me

OK, I'm picking up my Dish 500 TWIN Legacy and SW21 at lunch time today.

Does the line start at the Voom dish (dual LNB), then go through the diplexer that I illustrated on a previous post, then to the SW21 and then to the 811? And, Does one coax from D500 twin go to that same SW21 while the other coax goes down to the 301?

I'm determined to do it myself, but am admittedly a newbie.

Thanks again,

me

Ok... here is one that I don't think has been asked. I have a legacy Dish 500 system and an SW-64.

I bought a dish 300 off e-bay and then realized that it has a SINGLE LNB.

I've ordered a dual, and it should be here in a few days. Until then, what happens if I hook-up the single to the SW-64.

Hook it up to port 3a. This SHOULD be the 13v/odd port, and that is what you need for the 61.5. Try that, and do the check switch. If it says odd, then you should be good to go. Let me know how it worked out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)