Intelsat 10-02

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

macattack87

Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
USA
Hello everyone, I am new to your forum

I am in new jersey and I am wondering what it would take to pick up Intelsat10-02 from my location

thanks in advance for the help

C-band or Ku-band ?

It took me a few minutes to figure out where that satellite was.
It's orbiting at 1° west, which is about 4° elevation to the east from Hackensack, New Jersey.
You'd have to have a clean shot to the east, with no obstructions.

I consulted Lyngsat to see if there were any signals aimed at the USA.
We're certainly not part of their Ku band coverage.
It appears that none of their C-band lite us up.

Maybe the signals you want can be found on another satellite.
What were you looking for?
Code:
                    Hackensack, Bergen, New Jersey 07601
                Latitude 40° 53.321'N Longitude 74° 2.928'W

Sat Name, Sat Lng, Az(t), Az(m),    El,  Skew
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intelsat IS 10-02,    1.0W, 101.3, 114.3,   4.1, -47.8

Not sure I understand their data, but it looks like they are saying you'd have about
32.0 dBW near the edge of the beam...?
I may be mistaken, but I think that translates to a 4.5 meter dish.
Which must stand on it's edge and aim right at the horizon, and it's circular.

If correct, I'm not giving you any serious hope for this project. ;)

you are correct,

but I need to hit this sat

what are the disadvantages of it being circular?

and can some of the problems be mitigated by having a very good LNB and Feedhorns?

circular cband feeds are rare and expensive. like 500 hundred bucks without lnbs. you can use a lnbf with dielectric but it wont perform as well and you will lose linear cband reception with dielectrics installed. a big dedicated dish is your best bet.

crackt out,.

i dont mind having to have a dedicated dish and spending a few grand on getting it working

i just don't know if i can even lock on to the satellite

my advice would be to start cheap. say a 10 footer with an lnbf / dielectric. as a comparison the eirp map for amazonas 1 shows that im on the northern edge of the 35 dbw beam but i can still lock some of the transponders there on as little as an 8 ft dish. it would be good to find someone who can actually verify the the transponder is live and the channels are still there. lyngsat and some other sources can sometimes be inaccurate or outdated. if that combo doesnt work you can always get a bigger dish and better feeds / lnbs but at 4 degrees elevation its not gonna be an easy task but im all about challenges. i wish you lots of luck cuz it sure will come in handy.

crackt out,.

gee a few grand to get it going, lol
wow really, just what kind of free programming is on this satellite worth spending that kind of money.the programming better be out of this world is all i can say. but good luck none the less.

is there anyway to measure the dbw of the beam at my exact location?
Yea, aim a dish and measure it. ;)

Actually, I was thinking about our east coast members who have big BUDs...
I'm sure some would help ya out...
Problem is, I don't believe any of 'em can aim down that close to the horizon.
Maybe some of the eastern Canadian members... they get further east and might have an over-the-water shot.

Say, do you even have a clear view at 4° above the horizon (see above post for direction to aim)?
If not, it's all over. ;)

I can't comment on this particular bird as I live in Colorado. However I enjoy the challenges of low elevation reception and my toughest example is at about 3 degrees elevation. My advice is you will need a VERY large dish, not only because of the likely low incident power, but because you will require a very tight beam to minimize the massive amount of thermal earth noise. I would not give very good odds unless you have a firm command of the technical issues involved.

I have a decent understanding of the technical issues. I just don't want to fork over the money on equipment unless I know for sure

This suggests a 6' dish (180cm/1.8m) might get the western beam.
Now, the question is whether your signal is on that beam?
I wouldn't spend money based on what Lyngsat lists, without independent verification.

This chart says 2.5m to 3.2m dish for the global beam.
Well, that's a lot more reasonable than first estimate of 4.5 meters! ;)

We need your city or zip code to zero in on where you would be receiving the signal.
Also, ya need to go outside with a compass and view to the east at 114 degrees magnetic.
If there are any trees or buildings in the way, you may be unable to see the low-flying satellite.

see Satstar site for more info, and other birds

there are multiple beams on this sat, the stuff I need is on the global beam

i downloaded an AR app to my phone, You point your camera on your phone to the sky and a red dot comes up where the sat is, I think I can hit it. Only unresolved issue is the dish size needed

I typed in my info on satstar and got the following results

Reception Location Band EIRP (dBW) Dish size (cm) Azimuth Elevation LNB Skew Obstacle factor
Green C ? 32.0 - 36.0 160 - 320 100.9° 3.8° -48.4° 0.07

it gives me a very big range in EIRP and dish size

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts