Intelsat is changing the names of 16 satellites.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

anik

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
U.S.A.
http://www.intelsat.com/network/satellite/new-names.asp

Quote:

Welcome to Intelsat's New Line Up

As of 1 February 2007, Intelsat will change the names of 16 of its 51 satellites. The name change is part of our integration efforts, and is being implemented based in part on consensus feedback and recommendations from our customer community.

The changes being implemented are the following

1. Galaxy (G) replaces the Intelsat Americas (IA) brand
2. Intelsat (IS) replaces the PanAmSat brand (PAS)
3. Unique or joint venture satellites, such as SBS-6, Horizons or APR, will retain the same name

Unquote

There is a PDF file showing the conversion table at http://www.intelsat.com/_files/network/satellites/intelsat-satellite-name-conversion-table.pdf

Don't forget about Intelsat has been changed the names today!

Intelsat is changing the names of 16 satellites.

As of 1 February 2007, Intelsat will change the names of 16 of its 51 satellites. The name change is part of our integration efforts, and is being implemented based in part on consensus feedback and recommendations from our customer community.

The changes being implemented are the following

1. Galaxy (G) replaces the Intelsat Americas (IA) brand
2. Intelsat (IS) replaces the PanAmSat brand (PAS)
3. Unique or joint venture satellites, such as SBS-6, Horizons or APR, will retain the same name

Conversion Table - PDF

ARGH!

I just got use to saying IA8 instead of T4 (89W) and I still use T6 & T5

well I guess we'll have to label them as
T6/IA6/G26 now :D

Do the receiver manufacturers include such changes in the next versions of their software ?

heh....no

Lets put it this way...I have a box that I just upgraded the software in and it still has names like
T4 (IA8)
GE2 (AMC2 85W)
GE3 (AMC3 87W)
T6
T5
etc

maybe they might later on but alot of manufacturers aren't going to send out an upgrade to change a couple names.

and some boxes you can rename them. I know the Pansat and Coolsat will let me..Or use Channelmaster :)

I see Lyngsat has changed to the new satellite names. This is going to take some time to get used to.

For some reasons I like the old names better.... It's like saying to many G-0 and up...:p

For the time being please use old and new sat, names when reporting in for the TV DX reports in the WUT area.

Thanks!:hatsoff:

technically its called G25 (Galaxy 25)

The IA satellites, just change names to Galaxy and add a 2 in front

IA8 at 89W is now G28
IA6 at 93W is now G26

but most of us still call it IA5 or T5 (Telstar 5 the old name) :)

Last edited:
Uh-Oh?

technically its called G25 (Galaxy 25)

The IA satellites, just change names to Galaxy and add a 2 in front

IA8 at 89W is not G28
IA6 at 93W is now G26

but most of us still call it IA5 or T5 (Telstar 5 the old name) :)
Tony, I think you mean now, instead of not.....

Al

Status
Please reply by conversation.