Interesting May Viewer Advisory Board Survey

mwgiii

Gaming Guru & Pub Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Birmingham, AL
There were many questions about receiving Sky Angel over broadband internet (IPTV).

Since E3 is slowly dying and SA has no satellite to replace it, I guess SA is thinking about switching to IPTV distribution. They could then sell their satellite license/transponders to Dish and receive a nice cash payout.

There were many questions about receiving Sky Angel over broadband internet (IPTV).

Since E3 is slowly dying and SA has no satellite to replace it, I guess SA is thinking about switching to IPTV distribution. They could then sell their satellite license/transponders to Dish and receive a nice cash payout.

Looks like the end of our "lifetime" subscriptions. I wonder how serious SA ever really was about building their own satellite?

Such pessimism!

I am with the many lifetimers who feel SA is handling this whole "secular channel" package unethically. In short, while I support their right to offer packages in addition to their core programming, I do not think their decision to drop these channels from lifetimers and start charging is a good one (legal, sure; ethical, no).

Regardless of what people may think of their recent/current decisions, it is a huge stretch to suggest that they have been lying to their customers all these years about the intent to deliver programming from their own satellite (remember that troublesome 9th commandment?).

Rather, they are probably struggling at a time when a new technology offers the chance to continue with their general mission - albeit a little differently than anyone could have foreseen.

Cheers,
Red

If they discontinued their satellite service I would not pay for IPTV. I would more likely subscribe to DISH family and use my FTA dish for my Christian channels.

wouldn't subscribe myself

due to SA handling of the lifetime contract and the unethical ( probably illegal )breach of contract I would not trust SA enough to subscribe to anything they sell in the future.

I wont sub to sky if they go IPTV only. Consdiering most of the programming on Skyangel is accessable free elsewhere, plus id have to pay for cable hsi or dsl to use IPTV service.

I don't think SA was a scam, maybe just a problem with family members being in key positions and inheriting the operation when the founder passed on. There was an interesting Charisma article some time back about integrity problems with family run churches.

The idea of SA going 100% IPTV goes against one of their original mission objectives: In the 1990's, they were high on the idea of broadcasting satellite television into other countries that is inside the footprint of their signal (Puerto Rico, Mexico, Central America, etc.). Only the very well-to-do households in these countries have high speed Internet! And quite frankly, we live two miles from Interstate 5 between Olympia, WA and Portland, OR and there is no broadband provider that has a wire coming to our house - our high speed Internet comes from Satellite. There are tens of thousands of households between I-5 and the coast that are in the same position. These people need to realize that it is not a given that high-speed Internet is available to the entirety of the populaton that they are trying to reach.

I am not impressed with their IPTV approach. A few years ago, I was thinking that I would like to see the TBN people and/or the CBN people (Christian ministries with some serious bank accounts) get together with the SA people and collaborate to finance some new satellite technology for SA. Now Glorystar comes from out of nowhere and where SA used to fill a niche all to themselves - quite frankly - the Glorystar business model is probably going to wipe SA off of the map. I was considering replacing our DirecTV boxes with Dish Network so that all of our boxes can get SA but between Glorystar arriving and SA talking about going IPTV - I am definitely putting that decision on hold.

Sky Angel is the only DBS licesed provider. Glorystar is not DBS but it is a satellite provider. See this thread in the GloryStar forum.

Ever since Sky Angel announced its plans to yank channels away from Lifetime subscribers and within a few weeks YANK FamilyLand (The only channel I watched regularly on Sky Angel) I have been ACTIVELY discouraging people from doing business with them.

It's not pessimism. It's unfettered, intense, burning ANGER at the betrayal to the original message of Sky Angel and to the ideals of a Christian organization. It is the realization of powerlessness over such unfair and possibly contract-breaking actions. It is the acceptance that this once trusted organization is now nothing more than a bunch of crooks that do not deliver on the promise they made while at the same time asking God to bless us. Well... In the words of a great comedian... BLESS YOUUUU!!! :(

See ya
Tony

Regardless if Sky Angel has done right or wrong, what they have done is legal. Holding a resentment over it is far from Christian behavior and is going to be like a cancer that eats the person up while doing nothing to Sky Angel. The best course of action is to forgive what one may believe was a wrong and to move on in life. Don't let the sun go down on your anger.

I will forgive them the same way Christ forgave the money changers in the Temple!

Also the question of legality has not been settled.
Speaking of Christian behavior...
Even if I were to concede that what Sky Angel did was legal (which I dont), it certainly was not Christian! It was underhanded and very UN-christian! (ie: We have your money so there aint nothing you can do about it! So f--- off! oh... I mean Bless YOU!)

You are going to die for them!?!?

WOW! I commend you. That is taking the WWJD quite literally.
I believe that we all die, so that's not really a big deal (maybe a big deal if you're willing to die immediately). Of course, Sky Angel may have to wait a long time for that to happen ;)

Now if TNGTony resurrects himself after death, then I will be impressed (since we're tying death to forgiveness, then we have to tye the resurrection to that as well, right?), or if he were to suffer the magnitude that Christ did in acceptance of our sins, that would be impressive - however I believe that to be impossible since that price has already been paid for by Christ.

I will forgive them the same way Christ forgave the money changers in the Temple!

Also the question of legality has not been settled.
Speaking of Christian behavior...
Even if I were to concede that what Sky Angel did was legal (which I dont), it certainly was not Christian! It was underhanded and very UN-christian! (ie: We have your money so there aint nothing you can do about it! So f--- off! oh... I mean Bless YOU!)

It seems like you are taking this a bit too seriously. I refuse to stay in bitterness, regardless of what others do. That is definitely a challenge at times, but the anger will eat me up, not whoever I am angry at.

Jesus was doing a very specific action at the time (and fulfilling prophecy). I don't think opposing SkyAngel on this is quite to the same level.

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)