Interesting thread about MRV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rad

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
There's a thread in the CE forum over at DBSTalk, DBSTalk.Com, which appears to have some inside information about upcoming MRV plans.

Thanks for sharing Rad. There is some very interesting conversations about it right now.

NP, just remember any mention of MRV needs to stay in the CE forum for now.

Of course.

The only problem I have with the MRV right now is that I will have to replace two of my recievers. I have a H20-100 and an R16 that does not have network ports. I don't mind the H20 right now as I have had it for a long time but the R16 was just given to me by Directv a few months ago along with two R22's. I sure wish they would have just given me three R22's at that time.

I wish they would have come out with the client for the HR2X's since that's the majority of my STB's, however I do have one H21-200 so I'll be able to test. I do have a H20-600 that hopefully D* will allow a swapout for.

I can see though why D*'s going with the non-DVR HD boxes first, they want to have something to compete with againt U-Verse and FIOS with their MRV solution.

I figure that it is because they already have the server component working and they want to test without worrying about messing it up. This is the easiest way to get that done. Unless the wife allows me to replace our H20-100 I am out of the testing until the HR20 and R22's are enabled.

It should be soon. With at&t rolling out Total Home DVR service throughout the US, I'm sure DirecTV isn't just going to sit back and watch. From a business stand point they need to get this feature out soon to stay competitive.

One of the CE guys at D* joined the "slow" chatroom last night. It was slow because there wasn't any HR2x release.

In a few weeks the MRV will start, going from HR2x to H21-200 only.

Then they'll add the H21-100, the H23's, and finally last work on the HR2x.

The H20 can't do MRV because it has no network jack,

Only sad news is that I have no H21, just HR20/HR21 units. I'd pony up for one but really don't want to add 2 more year commitment just for testing MRV. I'll be very ready to "work it out" once they roll it to the HR2x units though :)

As cool as this is, I dont need it unless I move to another house. I centralized all my units in basement and distribute them throughout the house using a Matrix switcher and wireless infrared extender. This will help my friend who is looking to add Directv in the next few weeks. Just glad they are looking to do this.

Another thing geared towards the few. The avg person doesnt even have an HD set, let alone 2. This would be an interesting concept if it could downrez an HD program to SD for an SD receiver. I think most people with HD prolly have the one set and every other set is a smaller SD set. I think this would appeal to many more people. E's DVRs has this capability, albeit somewhat limited.

I'd have to replace an upgraded Tivo to do this, though if it was that important to me I'd have been using TivoWebPlus all these years which I'm not other than the initial tinkering with it.

Still cool to see a oft-demanded feature creep it's way into existence.

Another thing geared towards the few. The avg person doesnt even have an HD set, let alone 2. This would be an interesting concept if it could downrez an HD program to SD for an SD receiver. I think most people with HD prolly have the one set and every other set is a smaller SD set. I think this would appeal to many more people. E's DVRs has this capability, albeit somewhat limited.

I've watched HD OTA on a SD TV and it looks fantastic generally.

Who says you even need HD to take advantage of MRV. You can do it with R22 also. Wouldn't it be nice if you were an SD only house to be able to share programming on your R22's?

I have had a form MRV and a form of Direc2PC for about 3 years... with Replay, It rocks...

DITTO THAT! I used my ReplayTV's via the DVArchive program and now that DirecTV owns the ReplayTV patent portfolio I am hoping for some advances in their tech.

Nice - with this Direct2PC really becomes useless to me. I have H21's in the Living Room and the Computer room now. Since I spend most of my time in the computer room I wanted to be able to watch shows there instead of waiting until I went to bed to watch on the DVR in the bed room. Now I won't have to wait for D2PC to work with dual monitors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)