Interleague Play- Deal or No Deal?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
When it comes to talking about the game of baseball, one of the more interesting topics in terms of on-the-field action is Interleague Play.

Next week is the mini-three-game weekend where there is a weekend of Interleague Action before the main course in June.

Some people like Interleague Play, some don't.

How do YOU feel about it?

(I like it. After a while, I'll bet some people tire of seeing the same division teams all the time. I'm sure Bill gets bored of seeing the Orioles over and over again- playing the Mets will be an interesting change of events. Ditto for HD when it comes to the Royals.)

I like interleague play. I think certain matchups are good although I'm dreading the Red Sox/Mets series. Last time, the Sox beat the hell out of the Mets.
Sometimes, I would like to see teams play each other in more than one home series. In other words, instead of the Mets/Cards playing at Citi Field and Busch once, how about playing them twice. I just think for a team like the Mets to play the Reds on Opening Day and not play them in Cincy until next year, I just think its way too long of a time.

Btw, do you guys notice that I think something's wrong with the site. Their are a lot of ads and it takes a while to refresh.

I absolutely love it ! I am sick and tired of seeing the same old teams ;Phils,Nats and the Marlins coming into NY every other week to play the METS.I think they need to expand ILP.I'd love to see my team play KC,TX or SEA on a regular rotating schedule.Seeing the same old teams is boring in my books.Yeah you keep your traditional rivalries.I think MLB both leagues need to mix it up abit.

it doesnt bother me

Allows the Twins to play the Brewers still each year...by the way going to the game next Saturday at the Big Inflatable Toilet against the Brew Crew :)

also makes it so we dont have to see KC/Cleveland/Detroit all the time

Interleague play is cool. Divisional opponents play too much as it is. This is a nice change of pace. It's good for fans and it creates interesting matchups with the different rules.

I think I would like it better if they changed one rule. The DH should be ON if there's a AL team plays @ NL park and the DH should be OFF if a NL team plays at AL park. This way fans can see both kinds of baseball at their ballpark.

Don't like it. Mainly because it creates an unbalanced schedule. Teams within the same division play different teams based on geography, not just once, but 6 times. This gives a huge advantage to some teams whom are fortunate enough to play a poor team.

Interleague play is a failure.

- In the 2 teams markets, even if the #2 team were having an extended run of bad seasons, it still had the advantage of being the only outlet in the market for the visiting teams of that league. Now it has nothing.

- In the rest of the country, who cares. Its the Twins vs the Nationals. Who cares? Just another game.

- Match ups are made based on geography, or where the teams used to be 75 years ago. The fact that the Braves left Boston in 1953 does not make Atlanta its rival.

- Just because two teams' fans have the same color liscense plates does not make them rivals. The NFL taught us that for the last 40 years. Just look at the in-state MLB "rivalry" between Pittsburgh and Philly. It does not exist. And it makes people choose. One could live in, say, Columbus, and say "well I like the Reds, but I will catch an Indians game now and then too." No more.

- It unbalances the schedule. Every form of schedule before the foolish expansion into uninterested spring training states and this inter-league non-sense had every team playing every other team the same number of times (either over all or within a division). Now in a sport where the average difference between making and not making the playoffs is 3 games, those 3 games can simply be a function of one team playing their "rivals" six times.

- Just because two teams' fans have the same color liscense plates does not make them rivals. The NFL taught us that for the last 40 years. Just look at the in-state MLB "rivalry" between Pittsburgh and Philly. It does not exist.

When they were in the same division it was a big rivalry.

When they were in the same division it was a big rivalry.

And the fact that Pittsburgh and Philadelphia were in the same state was SOOOOOOOOOO important that, when they redistricted baseball, they were no longer in the same division. Which proves my point.

Professional baseball is not college football in the South. The fact that Cleveland and Cincinnati or Miami and Tampa or Houston and Dallas or Oakland and San Diego happen to be in the same state is not relevant to who is a rival.

Don't like it. Mainly because it creates an unbalanced schedule. Teams within the same division play different teams based on geography, not just once, but 6 times. This gives a huge advantage to some teams whom are fortunate enough to play a poor team.

That's why I don't like it.

I think it is better for cities that do not have an American League and a National League team in the same city. Here in Miami, I am looking forward to watching the Yankees play at "Land Shark Stadium"(GOD oh mighty I hate the new name of Dolphins Stadium....!protest:no!protest:no)and when the Rays come down too.

And the fact that Pittsburgh and Philadelphia were in the same state was SOOOOOOOOOO important that, when they redistricted baseball, they were no longer in the same division. Which proves my point.

Professional baseball is not college football in the South. The fact that Cleveland and Cincinnati or Miami and Tampa or Houston and Dallas or Oakland and San Diego happen to be in the same state is not relevant to who is a rival.

No they changed it because Miami is more East than Pittsburgh and they wanted the Braves to actually be in the East instead of the West.

The Pittsburgh/ Philly or Pittsburgh/ NY Mets games were classic. Now we play Houston, Milwaukee and the Reds. It's not the same.

It's not a bad idea, but it needs tweaking. I think the MLB needs to do something similar to what the NFL does. For inter-league play, everyone in the same division rotates the opposing division they play each year. (For instance, Year 1, the AL East will play the NL East. Year 2, the AL East will play the NL Central and so on). Everyone in the division would then have played the same opponents. This would also ensure that every 3 years or so, each team/city will have the opportunity to see/play every team in the MLB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)