Internet connection

jim090

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
NA
Can you connect Internet to a joey ? will the 2 Hoppers see it? or will internet only work connected to a hopper? if connected to a 1 Hopper will other Hopper see

internet? sorry so many questions. trying to hook up. I had a power line adapter for my 722 internet connection.How does wireless Adapter compare to the power

line adapter speed-wise? Thanks for any and all help.

Can you connect Internet to a joey ? will the 2 Hoppers see it? or will internet only work connected to a hopper? if connected to a 1 Hopper will other Hopper see

internet? sorry so many questions. trying to hook up. I had a power line adapter for my 722 internet connection.How does wireless Adapter compare to the power

line adapter speed-wise? Thanks for any and all help.

If a Hopper has an Internet connection, it can share that connection with the Joey's and the other Hopper. If you connect the internet directly to a joey via Wifi or hard line, only the joey will have the connection because the Joey can not share the connection with the Hopper. A Wifi adapter on the Hopper should work fine to provide Internet to all the recievers and as long as the network is strong and your speed is good then you shouldn't have any problems using Wifi.

If a Hopper has an Internet connection, it can share that connection with the Joey's and the other Hopper. If you connect the internet directly to a joey via Wifi or hard line, only the joey will have the connection because the Joey can not share the connection with the Hopper. A Wifi adapter on the Hopper should work fine to provide Internet to all the recievers and as long as the network is strong and your speed is good then you shouldn't have any problems using Wifi.

Is there a setting to turn on the Internet connection sharing with the joeys? I have a wifi adapter on the hopper, but the joeys show no Internet connection.

Is there a setting to turn on the Internet connection sharing with the joeys? I have a wifi adapter on the hopper, but the joeys show no Internet connection.

Go to the network tab then broadband. Then choose Moca from the drop down and then press the blue button on the remote twice. Then you should see a Bridging option. Select that option and choose Enable then Save. After you do this the Hopper will pass the IP to the Joey and you should be set.

so if i have 2 hoppers and 1 joey i only need one wireless adapter plugged in to one hopper and the other hopper can share this connection?

Go to the network tab then broadband. Then choose Moca from the drop down and then press the blue button on the remote twice. Then you should see a Bridging option. Select that option and choose Enable then Save. After you do this the Hopper will pass the IP to the Joey and you should be set.

Can someone confirm this? It doesn't work for me.

Also, why is this a hidden option, are there drawbacks?

This feature wasn't there at time of launch therefore the Joey needed its own connection or a HIC to get the full IP address. Full IP pass through via moca was added at a later time and that is when they added the bridging option.

OK, after I enabled it on both Hoppers, both Hoppers and Joey have internet conn. (3 green passes) But you don't have to do anything to the Joey, in fact you can't get the bridging option to appear on it at all.

That is because the Joey doesn't support this feature. The Hopper is the device with the Internet connection and the ability to pass it to the Joey over Moca. You can't connect a Joey directly to the Internet and feed your Hopper which isn't connected, it doesn't work that way. So only the Hopper has the bridging option, and yes, you don't have to do anything on the Joey. Just enable the bridging on the Hopper with the Internet connection and then the Joey should have full Internet access. You can test the Joey connection by trying to access Pandora and see if it streams. I know both Pandora and Facebook apps need full IP connections to work on the Joey.

Do both your Hoppers have their own Internet connections? If only 1 Hopper is Internet connected, then bridging should only be enabled on the Hopper with the connection. If you enable it on a Hopper that doesn't have its own Internet connection that can cause problems in the network.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)