Internet Service

kpr711

Original poster
Apr 14, 2004
I currently have dtv and att internet (elite 12 mps) Trying to cut my bills and get faster internet. (Chicago) What type of speed can I expect out of comcast? Was thinking of getting telephone service and internet. Finding the ATT internet consistent, about 10-11 mbps but with all the streaming we ae doing it's slows downs when multiple user are on-line.
Thanks for any comments or advice

I've had the performance, blast and extreme. Even performance gets me a sustained 15meg down connection and never really had any issues streaming. Upload was around 4, but didn't last, more of a powerboost upload. Blast isn't much better than performance if you ask me. I use extreme now 50 down, 15 up and have no issue whatsoever. I have standalone HSI and just keep calling every 6 months for promo pricing on extreme. Pricing varies by market.

Not sure how all markets are, but comcast DNS in my are is junk, so I set my router to use OpenDNS and google dns servers.

First of all, If your going to get telephone service, there is plenty of VOIP providers such as Vonage that provide great service at a good price. A phone through Comcast will run you atleast $30-$35. You can get a VOIP service such as magic jack dirt cheap, or a decent voip service with limited minutes starting at around $15 to $24.95 unlimited.

Your savings are with getting the voip telephone.

As far as AT&T, your probably better off keeping their service, or bumping it up to a higher package if its available.

My biggest issue with Comcast is that unless you use their VOIP phone, they tend to mess with the voice packets when using other VOIP providers.

My Uverse internet is stable, when I had comcast there was too many issues and I had to reset the modem atleast once per week.

I have comcast internet and am using magic jack plus and it has been flawless. sound quality is great and have had no issues with it what so ever.

really surprised the MJ works so good. back fed it on a phone jack and all phones work.caller id works on dish ird's. the only thing that sucks is there is no name with the caller id feature.

Last edited:
wanted to get ooma cuz of better reviews, but it was at least twice as much and I figured I would give the MJ a try. my friend uses it on att dsl and also has had no problems.

they charge you 20 bucks to port your number (lame and probably illegal) and heard they want 30 bucks to release you number (definitely illegal)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts