Internet Speed Test Question

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
I have Spectrum's Internet 940 / 35 service. With my laptop connected by Ethernet cable to my new Orbi router i get on average 800 / 25 speed test. If I connect my laptop by the same Ethernet cable direct to the modem I get on average 950 / 40 speed test. I changed the Ethernet cable that connects the router and modem with the same results. This same thing happened with my old Linksys router. Why the difference in speed test between the router and modem? Is there a setting in my router that will improve the speed test from the router?

If you transfer a large file between two PCs or two storage devices on your network while hardwired, what are your LAN speeds? Do you get a transfer rate of over 100 MBps (800 Mbps)?

When I upgraded to Spectrum Gig last summer, my 4 year old Cisco SMB router could not handle it. I'd max out at around 600 Mbps on speed tests. I bought it's direct replacement and instantly I was at 930+, most of the time hitting between 940 and 950. Fastest I ever hit was 980. I didn't put much effort into trying to track down the issue, since I was thinking about upgrading the router anyway. There can be other factors that limit your WAN speeds, at least you narrowed it down to the router. Could it be a setting? Sure. I would make sure you have the latest firmware and then call the manufacture, could be some QoS setting. One thing I would do is disconnect all devices from your network except for the PC you are testing with to eliminate the possibility of other devices consuming bandwidth. Unlikely you'd have a constant stream of 150 Mbps outbound, but anythings possible. Did you make many modifications to the router? If so, did you happen to do a test when you first hooked it up prior to any changes being made? When I swap out networking hardware at work I always do a test in the out of the box state and then do another one after all customizations have been made just to make sure I don't inadvertently click something and to make sure the changes don't have a negative impact on performance.

Reactions: charlesrshell
If you transfer a large file between two PCs or two storage devices on your network while hardwired, what are your LAN speeds? Do you get a transfer rate of over 100 MBps (800 Mbps)?

When I upgraded to Spectrum Gig last summer, my 4 year old Cisco SMB router could not handle it. I'd max out at around 600 Mbps on speed tests. I bought it's direct replacement and instantly I was at 930+, most of the time hitting between 940 and 950. Fastest I ever hit was 980. I didn't put much effort into trying to track down the issue, since I was thinking about upgrading the router anyway. There can be other factors that limit your WAN speeds, at least you narrowed it down to the router. Could it be a setting? Sure. I would make sure you have the latest firmware and then call the manufacture, could be some QoS setting. One thing I would do is disconnect all devices from your network except for the PC you are testing with to eliminate the possibility of other devices consuming bandwidth. Unlikely you'd have a constant stream of 150 Mbps outbound, but anythings possible. Did you make many modifications to the router? If so, did you happen to do a test when you first hooked it up prior to any changes being made? When I swap out networking hardware at work I always do a test in the out of the box state and then do another one after all customizations have been made just to make sure I don't inadvertently click something and to make sure the changes don't have a negative impact on performance.
Thanks. Will run some more test & get back with you tomorrow.

There's all manner of overhead involved in routers. As Tampa8 points out, one of the biggies might be QoS. Others include DDoS filters and basic security. Network Address Translation doesn't come for free.

There's a lot of stuff going on in software rather than hardware.

I do not see the capability to turn off the QoS. I have the Netgear Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System if someone knows how to turn it off. Later today as soon as the wife is off to work I will I will disconnect all devices from my network and test the speed again.

Well, thanks EarDemon. Got router slower speed figured out. I too thought upgrading to a new router from my three year old Linksys router would fix the issue. But new router does the same thing from an early test right after I got everything on line with no modifications and latest firmware.

I disconnected all wired and wireless devices from my router except my doorbell camera and my laptop. Got consistent speed test from prior earlier high 700s / 25 to low 900s / 40. Apparently all my things additional bandwidth is slowing the speed test some. Funny thing is, after I connect all devices back up and performed some more speed test, the down is hitting high 700s and the up still hitting 35 to 40. Maybe everything needed a reset or maybe the Internet traffic is slow at this time of the morning. That is pretty nice up speed. Again my Spectrum service is 940 / 35.

I haven’t decided to call Netgear yet about the issue since I now know why the router is a little slower. It is still plenty fast for my household needs. Do you know of a way I can turn off the QoS in my router? Thanks again for your help and other SatGuy Members too.

Well, thanks EarDemon. Got router slower speed figured out. I too thought upgrading to a new router from my three year old Linksys router would fix the issue. But new router does the same thing from an early test right after I got everything on line with no modifications and latest firmware.

I disconnected all wired and wireless devices from my router except my doorbell camera and my laptop. Got consistent speed test from prior earlier high 700s / 25 to low 900s / 40. Apparently all my things additional bandwidth is slowing the speed test some. Funny thing is, after I connect all devices back up and performed some more speed test, the down is hitting high 700s and the up still hitting 35 to 40. Maybe everything needed a reset or maybe the Internet traffic is slow at this time of the morning. That is pretty nice up speed. Again my Spectrum service is 940 / 35.

I haven’t decided to call Netgear yet about the issue since I now know why the router is a little slower. It is still plenty fast for my household needs. Do you know of a way I can turn off the QoS in my router? Thanks again for your help and other SatGuy Members too.
Are you using the latest firmware? An update could help with the speed issue.

I do not see the capability to turn off the QoS.
The PDF version of the User Manual can be a great place to start because you can easily search for terms like QoS. Page 54 speaks to disabling Wi-fi QoS but I see no mention of overall QoS.

If you're using Dynamic DNS or VPN, those also bring some overhead with them (though the DDNS load is vanishingly small).

I suspect that most consumer-grade routers just aren't up to near-gigabit speeds because few consumers need even 10% of that kind of speed.

The PDF version of the User Manual can be a great place to start because you can easily search for terms like QoS. Page 54 speaks to disabling Wi-fi QoS but I see no mention of overall QoS.

If you're using Dynamic DNS or VPN, those also bring some overhead with them (though the DDNS load is vanishingly small).

I suspect that most consumer-grade routers just aren't up to near-gigabit speeds because few consumers need even 10% of that kind of speed.
Thanks harshness.

My router does not display the WMM page for some reason so I cannot clear the Enable settings check box for the 2.4 and 5 GHz. Wonder why!

From the Orbe User manual page 66.
4. Select ADVANCED > Setup > QoS Setup > WMM.
The WMM page displays.
5. Clear the Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings (2.4 GHz b/g/n) check box.
6. Clear the Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings (5 GHz a/n/ac) check box.
7. Click the Apply button.
Your settings are saved.

Reactions: Tampa8
My router does not display the WMM page for some reason so I cannot clear the Enable settings check box for the 2.4 and 5 GHz. Wonder why!

From the Orbe User manual page 66.
4. Select ADVANCED > Setup > QoS Setup > WMM.
The WMM page displays.
5. Clear the Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings (2.4 GHz b/g/n) check box.
6. Clear the Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings (5 GHz a/n/ac) check box.
7. Click the Apply button.
Your settings are saved.

It works on my Netgear router. Did you click the "Advanced" tab FIRST? If not, it won't go there if you are only on the "Basic" tab.

It works on my Netgear router. Did you click the "Advanced" tab FIRST? If not, it won't go there if you are only on the "Basic" tab.
Yes, I clicked on the Advance tab and then QoS Setup. I do not see the WMM page. See attached pic

QoS Page.jpg

I typed that in and hit enter. Page left my router and went to a Google search page with info about QoS. I guess my WWM is hidden for some reason.

I typed that in and hit enter. Page left my router and went to a Google search page with info about QoS. I guess my WWM is hidden for some reason.

Try again, somehow a space got in the other link:

Orbi Login

Code:
http://orbilogin.net/QOS_main.htm

If it doesn't work this time, then it must be hidden in your version of firmware.

Sorry, I was outside replacing the blades on my lawn tractor.

Try UNCHECKING the 'Enable WMM', and save (Apply) that. Then see if that makes a difference.

If not, feel free to recheck it again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)