Internet Speed

Chris36

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 24, 2009
Rhode Island
I just had a quick question. I used SpeedTest.net to see what my speed is. On the iPhone is it always lower than the computer it self?? I get about 14.50 on my iPhone and 29.50 on my computer. On the iPhone the max is 20 and on the computer it's 100. I just upgraded to Premier with Cox last night from Perfered I think it's the 3rd high speed Internet that they have they have 4 all together. it seems better for video picture quality to me anyway.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris36 said:
I just had a quick question. I used SpeedTest.net to see what my speed is. On the iPhone is it always lower than the computer it self?? I get about 14.50 on my iPhone and 29.50 on my computer. On the iPhone the max is 20 and on the computer it's 100. I just upgraded to Premier with Cox last night from Perfered I think it's the 3rd high speed Internet that they have they have 4 all together. it seems better for video picture quality to me anyway.

Thanks,
Chris

Are you using the same server on your phone and pc? I get almost identical numbers on my droidx and notebook using the same server

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Yes it's the same it's a Linksys router I use. I have the app for the iPhone Speedtest it's 20 on the app and on the laptop it's goes to 100. I was wondering if it's faster on the computer then on a phone for speed.

Chris

Chris36 said:
Yes it's the same it's a Linksys router I use. I have the app for the iPhone Speedtest it's 20 on the app and on the laptop it's goes to 100. I was wondering if it's faster on the computer then on a phone for speed.

Chris

Which generation iPhone is it? Does your router support wireless-n? Maybe the iPhone is connected using wireless-g and your computer is on n?

Well, you might be measuring speed through two different media. The cable will (should) almost always be faster than the cell tower. It's sorta like comparing delivery speed between UPS(cable) and the Post Office (tower). Or are you connecting phone->router->Cox?

Also, don't pay attention to that 100 you're seeing on the router icon. All that means is that it's probably a (b/g) router with a max throughput of 100 megs. Max means all ports combined. You'll seldom - if ever - see max on any individual port. I have a gigabit (1000) system, and seldom see more than 40 megs throughput on any one port

//greg//

Last edited:
Chris36 said:

Chris

Just to clarify, are you sure the Speedtest servers are the same? My mobile devices rarely pick the same Speedtest server as my laptop. The host server can make a huge difference in performance of the test.

Also, the test can be deceiving - comcast for example has their "speedboost" that downloads the first 20mb of a file at a much higher speed than the rest. Since Speedtest relies on a small downloaded file for its speed calculations, the initial speed burst from the provider gives a highly inaccurate result for overall performance, especially for streaming. Your connection may be reporting 20mb down but in reality the average is significantly less.

For this problem contact your internet service provider,
After that check the internet speed from this site , here it gives the best & accurate results for my internet speed test!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)