Internet streaming using VLC.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mark_calgary

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
The dry side of the Rockies
Here are the settings I successfully used to stream video from from my PC at home to my work.

I'll call the machine at home the server and work machine the client.

Software needed on the client:
- VLC (free)

Software needed on the server:
- VLC
- TSReader (full version $99) or DVBDream 1.3a (free) or other DVB viewers that have LAN streaming options.

Server settings:

DVBDream is easier than TSReader to initially get going but once TSReader is set up it is virtually automatic.

DVBDream: LAN Streaming->127.0.0.1 port 1234
VLC: Open Network stream UDP/RTP port 1234,
Stream/Save enabled with the following transcoding settings,
HTTP enabled, address=<server IP> Port=8080 - in my case <server IP> is 192.168.1.209
Encapsulation= MPEG TS (but you can use others such as ASF which might even be better)
Video codec enabled= mp4v Bitrate=64kbps Scale=0.5
Audio codec enabled= mp4a Bitrate=16kbps Channels=2
You can also select the play locally option to view what you are streaming.
Exit out of all those VLC dialogs and you are now streaming from DVBDream.

For TSreader you must copy the text from the VLC Stream output MRL box to one of the TSReader VLC Configurations "Command" under Playback->VLC-> Settings with the addition of the text <IP> in front. i.e. under VLC Configuration 2 copy
the following text:

<IP>:sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=64,scale=0.5, acodec=mp4a,ab=16,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=ts,dst=192.168.1.109:8080}}

where 192.168.1.109 will be replaced with the server IP address you put in the HTTP line earlier. Exit VLC. VLC will be started via the TSReader Playback interface once you are tuned to the channel you wish to stream i.e. <Ctrl>+1.

If you have a local router with NAT between you and your cable/adsl modem you will have to figure out how to enable port forwarding on it to pass data on port 8080 to the IP of the server. In my case I forward port 8080 UDP and TCP to address 192.168.1.109(my server IP). You should also take a look at what the WAN IP Address assigned by your internet service provider to your router is.

You must also either turn off any port blocking software on your server such as the Windows firewall or Norton or stop blocking ports 1234 and 8080.

Once the channel is tuned on either DVBDream or TSReader and VLC is running with above options on the server, go to the client machine either with a remote login via VNC or Remote Desktop Client (WinXP Pro) or physically (Drive to work?).
Open VLC->File->Open->Network Stream->HTTP <server IP or WAN IP>:8080

Remember to use the WAN IP if you have a NAT router at home.

Heavily compressed video should come up in a little window. Once you have the basics working you can fiddle with the compression settings to get the best picture.

You also don't necessarily need to use the same ports I did (1234 or 8080).

For those without a DVB-S card you can also use VLC alone to stream from a USB or IEEE 1394 capture device to your client PC. I've done this using the composite video output of my Pansat 3500. The steps are quite similar.

I'm sure there are many other ways of doing this but this worked for me.

Good luck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts