Interstellar

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
[CONTAINER][MOVIE1]Title: Interstellar

Tagline: Mankind was born on Earth. It was never meant to die here.

Genre: [GENRE]Drama[/GENRE], [GENRE]Science Fiction[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Christopher Nolan[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Matthew McConaughey[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Anne Hathaway[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Jessica Chastain[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Michael Caine[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Casey Affleck[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Ellen Burstyn[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Matt Damon[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]John Lithgow[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Timothée Chalamet[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Mackenzie Foy[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Wes Bentley[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Bill Irwin[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Topher Grace[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]David Oyelowo[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]David Gyasi[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]William Devane[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Josh Stewart[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Collette Wolfe[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Leah Cairns[/ACTOR]

Release Date: [RELEASE]2014-11-05[/RELEASE]

Runtime: [RUNTIME]169[/RUNTIME]

Plot: [PLOT]Interstellar chronicles the adventures of a group of explorers who make use of a newly discovered wormhole to surpass the limitations on human space travel and conquer the vast distances involved in an interstellar voyage.[/PLOT][/MOVIE1][POSTER1]
nBNZadXqJSdt05SHLqgT0HuC5Gm.jpg
[/POSTER1][/CONTAINER]

I first watched it in Digital IMAX (or LIEmax as some people call it).
Today I watched it again. This time on a huge 60 ft. x 80 ft with real 15perf 70 inch IMAX film.
All I can say is WOW!!!

I went to see it in IMAX and wow it was a good movie. The plot may have had some holes in it but the special effects will probably win an Oscar.

I found "interstellar" to be an infuriating movie. It had moments of absolute perfection, moments that brought the movie to a screeching halt, and other moments that made me want to throw something at the screen. The movie takes you through a menagerie of film themes with virtually no anchor for most of the story. The thin line is one man trying to save humanity, no, his family, no both. The film vacillates as the main character, superbly played by Matthew McConaughey, rolls through his emotions.
True sci-fi fans with gravitate towards this movie (pun intended for those who saw it) but the sci-fi elements are a skin to the real human story behind. I guess that is exactly what a real sci-fi is. Still, there were too many "and then this happened" moments without explanation, or rational sense for my taste. The technology and field repair issues too uneven and Irwin Allen-esque to swallow sometimes. The motivations of minor characters, like Matt Damon's minor role, too inexplicable to accept. I can roll with the punches only so much before the leaps in logic start to pain me.
At times "Interstellar" had the scale of 2001: A Space Odyssey in its approach to the unexplainable. During these times I sat back and wondered how much influence that 1968 Kubrick film really had on Director Jonathan Nolan. The visual effects of certain events were, I believe, 100% inspired by that movie. It is also, I think no coincidence where a key item is placed. Same place as in the book 2001, not the movie.
But there were other times when the movie was more pedestrian. The beginning of the movie, though engaging, was ultimately just the backdrop for character motivation. This set-up went on for quite some time. I like long, epic stories. As I think about it, I hear myself saying the famous line uttered by Emperor Joseph II to Mozart: " there are simply too many notes, that's all. Just cut a few and it will be perfect." to which, of course the reply is, "Which ones did you have in mind." Like Emperor Joseph II, I do not have an answer. And this movie IS a masterwork.
Some parts of the middle of the movie just stopped as the characters sat and waxed on endlessly about the meaning, scale, and importance of their mission. Long soliloquies of events that had unfolded bringing the pace of the film to a crawl! But as with the beginning of the movie, these philosophical observations are really central to the underlying story.
I cannot discuss some of the deeper themes without giving away more of this movie than I should, so I will leave it here.
Story: Uneven.
Theme: Deep, Universal, Thoughtful
Acting: Superb!
Originality: Meh...
Visual Effects: Stunning in a Déjà vu sort of way
Overall: 2 eye-rolls, 1 tear-jerk (maybe two), 2 "I saw that coming a mile aways", and 3½ of 5 starts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ilya

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts