Invacom LNBF Question(s?)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

greyskies

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 16, 2004
sunny South Florida
Long time no post.

With all the buzz surrounding the yet to be released C/L Quad LNBF, I took to replacing the Std ASC321 LNBF on my motorized setup this afternoon. Back in business on several sats. However, I could not help but think about whether I would be pulling in stronger signal quality if I swapped it out to replace it with an Invacom 0.3db LNBF, specifically the soon to be released model. After doing some reading, I began to wonder whether I need the latest and greatest, or whether I could get by with an already proven Invacom LNBF, the single, Universal LNBF.

To assist those who might respond to provide me some guidance, note that I am using both the ASC321 Std. LNBF, as well as a circular FSS LNBF, together with a 22khz switch. By alternating the 22khz switch ON for the ASC321 Std. with a 10750 frequency designation, and the 22khz switch OFF for the circular FSS LNBF, I am able to pick up signals from several satellites with the assistance of my SG2100 Motor and .75 Hotdish.

Here's the question, to keep my access to all of the birds that I view and listen to radio on, do I need to get the latest and greatest (well not yet out) LNBF from Invacom, or can I use Invacom's single Universal LNBF with the 22khz switch and the circular FSS LNBF?

Please advise as to if the Universal can be used with the 22khz switch, the motor and the circular FSS LNBF. Also, should I expect improved reception by swapping either of Invacom's 0.3db LNBFs for my ASC321 Std. LNBF that has a noise factor of 0.55db?

greyskies in sunny South Florida.

I have been given two of the new C/L Quad LNBF's and will be doing a review of one of them (and will be giving away one of the others to a lucky winner here at SatelliteGuys.US)

From everything I have seen at the show I would wait for the Quad, the fact that you can use it with multi receivers alone makes this baby worth it. The specs on this unit are also very good. Something cool about these LNB's is that each LNB is tested before it leaves and you get a print out of the exact specs on your LNB as they tested before shipping.

dishMIKE said:
The Invacom LNBs are absolutely FANTASIC !!! Mike

Are you solely referring to the not yet released to the public Quad, or are you referring to already available LNBFs? I am trying to get suggestions from users who have a dual lnbf setup so that I know whether I can use the already available Invacom Universal LNBF (0.3db Noise Factor) or whether I must await the Quad in order to maintain my setup but attempting to improve reception quality.

Please clarify your prior enthusiastic response to my initial post.

greyskies in sunny South Florida (well its actually rainy season, so more the greyskies right now than sunny).

greyskies, good to have you back :)

I think Mike is going by the performance of the other Invacom LNBs, I doubt they'd release an under-performing LNB.
If I had a choice I'd go for the new Quad, it'll make things simpler and you'll still have 2 ports free on a 4way diseqc.
If I understand the internal switching in the QPH-031 I think you may have problems with a 22KHz switch and the Invacom on the FSS side, you'll be stuck at high-band if you have it on the 22KHz "on" side and low-band on the "off" side.
A simple 2-way diseqc will work perfectly, port 1 on circular, 2 on linear.

If you're happy with the performace of your 2-LNB setup I see no reason to change unless you're like a lot of us here who like to eek the last ounce of performace out of everything.

Good to be Here!!!

Cascade:

Let me recap my equipment and its needs:

1. FTA Receiver (Fortec Lifetime) has (a) DiSeq ON/OFF; (b) 22Khz ON/OFF; (c) LNB Power ON/OFF; and (d) 0/12 Volt options in the Antenna setup menu, not mentioning LNBF Type and Frequency Options.

The RG-6 cable runs from the receiver into the wall, through the wall, into the SG2100 motor, then into a 22khz switch, and then once split, the ON runs into the Standard KuBand FSS LNBF and the OFF runs into the DSS LNBF.

2. The SG2100 motor requires that (a) be set to ON;
3. The 22Khz option alternates dependent upon which satellite I am viewing/listening to, as the satellite dictates the LNBF;
4. The LNB Power is always set to ON; and
5. That leaves only the 0/12 Volt option not in use.

If I wanted to use the new Quad LNBF from Invacom, it has both a FSS Universal LNBF component and a DSS LNBF component with four separate connectors (2 each). If it were a standard, as opposed to a universal connection, then I could still use the 22Khz switch to choose which portion of the LNBF to use with a satellite. However, since it is a universal LNBF, it is my understanding that I need to use the 22Khz switch to tell it to go LO or HI, and consequently, the switch would not be available to alternate between the connectors on the Universal LNBF.

Is this accurate? If not, please correct me so that I can understand this situation. I am intrigued by a 2 in 1 LNBF, and am stumped as to how to alternate between its two component parts to view different satellites, since the 22khz switch will be used to change the Universal component between LO and HI.

Look forward to your guidance and thoughts.

greyskies in sunny South Florida (well it was sunny for most of today - but back to the coal mines in a few hours). I OWE, I OWE, ITS OFF TO WORK I GO (so I can make spending money for hobby - If the wife doesn't find my secret stash of cash first).

Which Invacom

Cascade:

You're online. GREAT!!!

I trust that you are suggesting that I use the new Quad, once it is available, and use a DiSeq switch, to alternate between DSS and FSS.

Will my motor still work? What setting will I use for the motor to accept the change in Birds when selecting channels? I hope this does not sound too naive.

Finally, by any chance, would it be possible to use one of Invacom's existing low noise 0.3 DB Universal LNBFs in my configuration without having to spend the additional $50-60 and waiting for shipment of the Quad. As stated, I have a 22khz switch, if that is helpful.

Best regards, and thanks for your guidance.

greyskies in sunny South Florida (well, not too sunny right now at 10:30 PM)

Yep, your motor will work perfectly, the quad will be an instant hit and will probably be the last LNB you'll buy.
I have no clue on the Pansat motor settings, someone else who owns one will be able to help you there, it'll be in the manual or under USALS in the menu though.
If you want the single universal Invacom you'll need to ditch the 22KHz switch and invest the $14 or so on a diseqc switch to alternate between the DBS LNB and the FSS Invacom.

You're welcome :)

The motor will work with both setups (either the 2 LNB or the quad)

all you do is switch the LO frequency
11250 for DBS
UNiversal or 10600 22k on for FTA

Iceberg - Little more info please

Iceberg:

Thanks for your response.

You state that I could work with either the Quad or a single Invacom Universal LNB and the DBS LNB. If the former, then there should be no need for a 2nd LNB as the Quad contains circuity for both, correct?

If I go with a single Invacom Universal LNB with the DBS LNB, you had stated:

11250 for DBS

Does this mean that I need to 22khz switch if I go with 2 LNBs or are you referring to the setting on my Antenna Settings Screen on the Fortec Lifetime, or both? Just trying to figure out what my next purchase and tinkering project will be.

Thanks for your guidance, as well as all that Cascade has provided. Your collective experience is truly appreciated.

greyskies in Sunny South Florida (hasn't rained yet this AM)

Iceberg:

Thanks for your response.

You state that I could work with either the Quad or a single Invacom Universal LNB and the DBS LNB. If the former, then there should be no need for a 2nd LNB as the Quad contains circuity for both, correct?
Corerect…you would need a 2x1 DiSEqC switch to get both to the receiver.
If I go with a single Invacom Universal LNB with the DBS LNB, you had stated:

11250 for DBS

Does this mean that I need to 22khz switch if I go with 2 LNBs or are you referring to the setting on my Antenna Settings Screen on the Fortec Lifetime, or both? Just trying to figure out what my next purchase and tinkering project will be.
If you do the 2 LNB theory, the setup for each one would be
DBS Lo frequency would be 11250 and DiSEqC would be port 2 (as an example)
The KU band you can do it 2 different ways. Port 1 for sure : )
You can set it for Universal 1 and the settings would be right. But since we really don’t use the LO band (sans PAS9), for scanning quickness, have it as Standard and change LO to 10600 and turn 22K on. The LNB will ALWAYS be on high band. The only one I use Universal for is Pas9 (since its low band)

Thanks for your guidance, as well as all that Cascade has provided. Your collective experience is truly appreciated.

greyskies in Sunny South Florida (hasn't rained yet this AM)
Iceberg wishing he was somewhere it was cold (80 with dewpoint of 72 at 6:30AM in MN)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts