Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikelib

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
Jersey Sure
"The satelliteguys' group has been discussing the new LNBs with Phase-Lock Loop"

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4394166/Hans-Camenzind-dies

Hans Camenzind, 555 timer inventor, dies

Brian Fuller

8/15/2012 7:38 PM EDT

camenzind obit
SAN FRANCISCO--Hans Camenzind, the Swiss emigre analog guru who invented one of the most successful circuits in electronics history and introduced the concept of phase-locked loop to IC design, passed away in his sleep at the age of 78. The news was reported today (Aug. 15) by Sergio Franco, an emeritus professor of electrical engineering at San Francisco State University in an email.

RIP

Remember playing with them, along with the 74xx chip set and 6502, 6800, 68000 z80 processors for lab/design courses; we've come along way. One circuit board back then now fits in one single AISC chip.

concord said:
RIP

Remember playing with them, along with the 74xx chip set and 6502, 6800, 68000 z80 processors for lab/design courses; we've come along way. One circuit board back then now fits in one single AISC chip.

Not to mention thr 4004, 4040, 8008 and 8080 uprocessors.

The 555 was/is a very useful tool - many devices have been built around it. Great contribution to society.
Bob

I think it might pay homage to the man to racall some uses we had for his venerable 555.

About 15 years ago, I was talking model trains with a buddy over lunch.
All these train nuts :) want to complain how the $200 engine is so much smoother than the $75 model.
One day, I took over a little breadboard with 555 and a power FET with a heat sink tab.
We hooked it to train power and I monitored pulse width on an oscilloscope.

His goal was to see how slowly he could pull into station.
After a few hours tinkering, we had a range from full speed to a crawl (and with no stall).

Looking on the 'scope, we could see very narrow power pulses still being delivered, and assumed the engine just couldn't move under those conditions.
Eventually, we set up a TV camera with a close up of one engine wheel (3/4" diameter, maybe?).
There was a tiny dust spec on the rim, and if you watched closely, it was creeping along! :)
The wheel/engine/train was in motion - true slow-motion.

And you know? His $200 engine WAS better at creeping than his $75 ! ;)

iPhone 4

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts