iOS 12 beta

For two days now I have run the full exercise ring. One day at 2.5 mph speed on treadmill arm swinging.

It took 41 minutes today at 2.5mph to get 30 minutes of exercise, ring closed.
I did another test indoor walk at faster pace to get the ring to close 30 minutes exercise for 30 minute ring to close. But at that pace I had to take breaks every 5 minutes as my heart rate was pushing the upper limit set by my pace maker/ICD.
Here are some watch screen captures of today's workout:
IMG_0011.PNG
IMG_0012.PNG

I wonder if there is a way to set the exercise ranges that allow for a person in his 70's with a history of heart disease and a pacemaker with upper limit restriction, or does the exercise ring assume everyone is a healthy 25 yr old who is training for the Olympics? :D

For two days now I have run the full exercise ring. One day at 2.5 mph speed on treadmill arm swinging.

I wonder if there is a way to set the exercise ranges that allow for a person in his 70's with a history of heart disease and a pacemaker with upper limit restriction, or does the exercise ring assume everyone is a healthy 25 yr old who is training for the Olympics? :D

Alas the 30 minutes seems to be not something can be changed. The 30 minutes can come from just normal walking, without a workout. The move goal of course can be set to whatever you want.

The move goal can't be changed but it appears by my tests that the credit for AW4 exercise in minutes is not real time minutes. In other words, if I treadmill walk at 3mph the credit will build almost at constant 1:1, but if I walk at 2.5 mph it may tale more than 30 minutes to get 30 minutes of AW4 exercise. In addition, if I walk at 3mph rate I get no credit at all if my watch hand is stationary holding onto the treadmill rails. I haven't tested outdoor walking yet but that may make use of real time vs distance based on GPS to compute exercise credit.

According to one explanation I read at the bottom of the list of exercises is "Other" which gives exercise credit based on all movement. I don't know what that means or will it work indoors, but I plan to do a test treadmill walk plus other things like weight lifting reps to see what it registers.

The move goal can't be changed but it appears by my tests that the credit for AW4 exercise in minutes is not real time minutes. In other words, if I treadmill walk at 3mph the credit will build almost at constant 1:1, but if I walk at 2.5 mph it may tale more than 30 minutes to get 30 minutes of AW4 exercise. In addition, if I walk at 3mph rate I get no credit at all if my watch hand is stationary holding onto the treadmill rails. I haven't tested outdoor walking yet but that may make use of real time vs distance based on GPS to compute exercise credit.

According to one explanation I read at the bottom of the list of exercises is "Other" which gives exercise credit based on all movement. I don't know what that means or will it work indoors, but I plan to do a test treadmill walk plus other things like weight lifting reps to see what it registers.

Other will work in doors. The distance walking is a bit finnicky, but generally accurate. Every once in a while it gets funky. And every once in a while the watch itself benefits from a reboot too.

Tested the "Other" workout category today and found it is more accurate for exercise time = real time than indoor walk. I could treadmill walk at lower heart rate of 100BPM and 2 mph setting on the tread mill and 30 minutes walk = 30 minute closed green ring. I did the walk with my watch arm swinging. Tomorrow, I will test "Other" with my watch arm stationary. I actually did this test with 3 10 minute sessions to see of heart rate and walking speed affected the time and it did not. 125BPM, 110BPM and 100 BPM all resulted in the same ring credit time of 10 minutes.

Tested the "Other" workout category today and found it is more accurate for exercise time = real time than indoor walk. I could treadmill walk at lower heart rate of 100BPM and 2 mph setting on the tread mill and 30 minutes walk = 30 minute closed green ring. I did the walk with my watch arm swinging. Tomorrow, I will test "Other" with my watch arm stationary. I actually did this test with 3 10 minute sessions to see of heart rate and walking speed affected the time and it did not. 125BPM, 110BPM and 100 BPM all resulted in the same ring credit time of 10 minutes.

I had a Garmin VivoFit before I went to Apple Watch, and that darn thing recorded nothing if your arm wasn't swinging . You'd be mowing the lawn, and because your hand was on the mower, no steps or anything. Apple Watch is much better at that, and while arm motion seems to impact the "standing" rubric, it doesn't have nearly the impact on exercise.

while arm motion seems to impact the "standing" rubric, it doesn't have nearly the impact on exercise.

I'll confirm my findings after today's exercise experiment but so far it appears the opposite. No arm swing and no exercise credit. Arm swing and it activates the exercise credit.

Mike- so far I have data collected on indoor walk and soon will complete data on "other" for walk. What I am seeing is these various settings in the workout app do affect how the data is tabulated for exercise credit not just a reference to what you were doing.

Also, I did find an Apple publication that specifically stated arm swing was required to activate exercise credit in places where GPS movement was not going to register such as an indoor track or fitness gym, then arm swing is required. I took that as gospel and my experiments are only confirming that so far.

Since so much talk is about fitness tracking, and the health monitoring may not be needed by me, I guess I’ll save that few hundred and put it toward the mortgage.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Completed today's 30 minute treadmill walk at 2.4 mph avg. 103 BPM Walk was done with no arm swinging. Workout set to "Other"

Every minute of Treadmill real time represented a minute on the green exercise ring. So I ended the session with 33 minutes of AW4 exercise and 33min 12 seconds on the treadmill.

Got the new iOS 12 beta today. Added a Cardiogram app and complication for the Watch face. Installed and working. Note that isn’t the ECG that is coming later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I liked Cardiogram for the AW3 but with wOS5 and the AW4, I use it less now. Before AW4 and wOS5 Cardiogram was the only app I could find that offered afib alerts. Now the Apple heart rate app does it too plus a number of other new functions.

I liked Cardiogram for the AW3 but with wOS5 and the AW4, I use it less now. Before AW4 and wOS5 Cardiogram was the only app I could find that offered afib alerts. Now the Apple heart rate app does it too plus a number of other new functions.
I'm watching my battery usage today on the AW4, last night my Watch shutdown because of a depleted battery for the first time and that was after I added the Cardiogram app. The day had started with about 82% battery, a round of golf using the GPS app and then just my normal rest of day and the battery died. Never saw that before.

For those that use the Books/iBooks app, if you have an older version of iOS and can't get the new version, remember that any books purchased on the new version will not show up on the older versions of the app. I'm hung on that as my iPad Mini is only able to go to iOS 9.3.:mad:?) and won't go further. I refuse to by an iPad Mini 4 as it is 3 year old tech and the prices are as they were when it was new tech. Unfortunately the tea leaves are indicating that Apple probably won't come out with a new iPad Mini. :(

Lloyd- Cardiogram will use battery if you have it running in the background where it is taking readings constantly: "START continuous recording". If you just install it, the readings are taken one every 6 minutes or so which uses much less battery. If the complication isn't on the watch face the Cardiogram appears not to be active at all. I only have it active on one watch face so it is easy to use or shut down for better battery.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Don. I have the complication on my watch face. I’ve had the Watch on my wrist for about 2 hours this morning and still showing 100% battery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

On old AW3 I kept the Cardiogram running on the ~6 minute bar graph 24-7 and hardly ever used the start continuous. The battery drain was minimal. The AW3 seems to have 2/3 the battery life of the AW3 so I am using a different watch face now and this one only uses the Apple standard heart rate monitor. With the new AW4 I am of the opinion Cardiogram is now obsolete. Apple's app seems to have more features and does not drain the battery as much. I only went to Cardiogram because it was first to offer AFIB monitoring. I had surgery over a year ago to fix that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts