Any iphone 6 or 6+ users left?

Discussion in 'iOS Devices' started by TheForce, Aug 8, 2018.

1. TheForce

TheForce Topic Starter SatelliteGuys Master
    Supporting Founder

With the latest iOS updates, I have been observing longer and longer app launch times. As much as 10 seconds now. I have an iphone 6+ with 128GB size and 60GB free. But with each iOS update the phone gets slower and slower.

Anyone else noticing the same? Might be time for me to lower my standards and make the move to iphone X or the new release this Fall.

I really was holding out for an iphoneX that has a larger screen and hopefully 4K native, like my Sony android phone.

2. osu1991

osu1991 SatelliteGuys Master

I haven't noticed my 6+ being that slow, although it is slow. I had the battery changed 3-4 months ago, which made a huge difference in its overall performance. It has taken to locking up a couple times in the past few weeks. Apple has priced themselves out of what I'm willing to pay for a phone. I bought a Moto G6 a couple weeks ago. Bigger screen, but smaller overall size than the 6+ and much faster than the 4 yr old 6+ for a quarter of the price of new iPhone. I may try the iOS 12 beta on it now and see if that helps any, as apple was claiming iOS 12 would be optimized to improve speed on older devices.

3. navychop

navychop Member of the Month - July 2014!
    Pub Member / Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I also have a 6+. It is definitely slower. Sometimes it freezes up while using Pandora. There have been times where the touchscreen became totally unresponsive, and the only fix was a two button hard shutdown. So I fear losing the Home button.

I plan to get the battery replaced soon. When does that reduced price battery replacement end?

I plan to get a new phone this fall, to get bands 12 and 71. I’ll give my MiL this phone.

I think you will get your wish.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

4. TheForce

Supporting Founder

My 6+ hasn't locked up yet. I was down to battery charge lasting about 5 hours, mostly on standby. I decided to change it with a new one for $20 for the kit, battery glue tape and a suction screen puller. It didn't take long to do but getting the old one out was difficult even with a heat gun. Two weeks after I did the battery swap, Apple came out with their new pricing. Anyway, I get 4 days on the new one now.

5. navychop

I’ve never gotten more than a couple of days on mine. I don’t mind charging every night, but this 2 and 3 times a day is for the pits.

6. osu1991

osu1991 SatelliteGuys Master

Since the new battery, I'm at about 70% left most days unless I've been doing video or been online via LTE then I can get down to 45-55%. I still just plug it in at night before bed.

I just put the iOS 12 public beta on it a little while ago. I can say apps do appear to be opening noticeably quicker.

7. TheForce

Supporting Founder

Thanks. That's reassuring but I'll wait for official release. I've been a closed beta tester and even an alpha tester and always felt the need to do that work on an isolated system that would not interfere with my work or mission critical projects.

To be clear, as to why I get 3-4 days on my iphone 6+ is because it sits in my belt holster pretty much all day long. I take phone calls and text messaging, monitor stock quotes, read my email and answer text and email with my watch. No, I don't "text" out email. The watch has a voice to text feature that works very well.

My wife has a 5SE and she has started to complain about her battery but she uses hers for lots of facetime calls, pictures, and uploads to the icloud all the time because her phone has limited memory. I'd give her my 6+ but she doesn't like the larger size.

8. Foxbat

Foxbat Addicted to new HW
    Supporting Founder Lifetime Supporter

I still have my iPhone 6 and replaced the battery pretty soon after Apple announced the $20 program. My local Apple Store was able to do the repair while I wandered our mall and ran a few errands (like new car hunting). iOS 11.3 seemed snappier than 11.4 has been. I notice it mostly in the way certain apps don't give any feedback to a press, and so you wonder if you actually register the touch. Usually about the time I go in to press again is when it responds, and now I'm pressing something I don't want to do.

It's too close to the new iPhone launch to replace my 6. It turned three in February! That's a record for a mobile phone for me! I don't think I'll get the iPhone XI (or whatever follows the X) but will probably settle for the $100 cheaper iPhone 8. If I can get the (product) red edition, so much the better...

9. navychop

Yesterday my 6+ would only charge to 99%.

Today I found that last night’s charge stopped at 93%.

Anyone ever see or hear of this?

10. TheForce

Supporting Founder

I bought my 6 at the same time I bought the original Apple watch, the day it came out. Last year I upgraded to the watch 3 with cellular and love it's performance. So if I keep it for the next iphone X+ release it would be 3 and a half years old. Compared speed with my daughter's 6s and her's is definitely faster, about the same as my wife's 5SE.

Separate names with a comma.

More...