Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
What problems have folks had with 5?

-Lost apps
-Never could get it to finish dl/install.
-Bricked it
-Not enough space on phone to take update
-iTunes keeps launching itself
-Apps not working correctly
-Waiting for the dust to settle: Letting others take the arrows
-Other (please describe)

You can pick more than one.

I had so many problems, it would take me hours to list them all. After 3 days I did finally get updated to iOS 5

BTW, the jailbraking of iOS 5 went smoother than update to iOS 5

Let me list a few things:

1. Not enough space. I had to remove about 10 albums, all of my photos, and some APPs
2. iTunes kept crashing and freezing up
3. I kept getting errors using both a Mac and 2 different PCs
4. I lost several APPs and had to reinstall them in iTunes form the iTunes store

I had to go to Apple to get the update on my iPhone I tried it on a few computers and it would not download. I went to Apple was done in 10 minutes no trouble at all.

Chris

I'll hold off until more apps are supported.
Once iOS5 is fully stable and functional I'll upgrade.

Hmmm. I just noticed I left the word "never" off the beginning of the second option, which should read: Never could get it to finish dl/install.

Perhaps a friendly mod could fix that for me?

Wouldn't finish downloading on my wife's laptop, turned out Kapersky was to blame, that and really poor messaging on behalf of Apple. It was obviously downloading all of the way, but some form of communication afterwards was failing due to Kapersky and then iTunes would throw a worthless error message about not finishing the download.

Just sat down to update our iPad 2.

In case you did not see this posted on another thread. For those whom would like to hide the NewsStand APP in a folder here is the trick.

Slide two APP icons together to create a new folder and then immediately slide the Newsstand APP into the folder. You have to be quick about it. Once it is in the folder you can never open it or it will crash the springboard (Springboard will reopen when restarted though, so the crashing is not permanent)

DodgerKing said:
In case you did not see this posted on another thread. For those whom would like to hide the NewsStand APP in a folder here is the trick.

Slide two APP icons together to create a new folder and then immediately slide the Newsstand APP into the folder. You have to be quick about it. Once it is in the folder you can never open it or it will crash the springboard (Springboard will reopen when restarted though, so the crashing is not permanent)

If it kills the app, it isn't a solution for me.

I like the app. It stores six periodicals for me. Very nice.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

If it kills the app, it isn't a solution for me.

I like the app. It stores six periodicals for me. Very nice.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys
This is for those that want the APP killed. If we do not have magazine to display, then we are stuck with an empty bookshelf icon on our phone that we cannot do anything with. It seems they would have at least given us a choice to delete it, use it, or hid it.

I've heard a lot of people had iOS 5 upgrade issues, but I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. It took 35 minutes to download the update and about 60 minutes to backup and restore all my apps and media. I had to rearrange my home screen to fit in Reminders and the Newstand.

DodgerKing said:
I had so many problems, it would take me hours to list them all. After 3 days I did finally get updated to iOS 5

BTW, the jailbraking of iOS 5 went smoother than update to iOS 5

Let me list a few things:

1. Not enough space. I had to remove about 10 albums, all of my photos, and some APPs
2. iTunes kept crashing and freezing up
3. I kept getting errors using both a Mac and 2 different PCs
4. I lost several APPs and had to reinstall them in iTunes form the iTunes store

Is the jailbrake tethered or untethered?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Is the jailbrake tethered or untethered?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
For me it was untethered. It is untethered only for the 3GS with an old baseband. All other devices are tethered. It is currently only written for a MAC. Cannot do it on a PC

This is for those that want the APP killed. If we do not have magazine to display, then we are stuck with an empty bookshelf icon on our phone that we cannot do anything with. It seems they would have at least given us a choice to delete it, use it, or hid it.

They don't want it hidden, since its a place where they sell stuff to you. Plus, like the other rom-based apps, you can't delete it. Such is life. I'll deal with a couple icons I don't use over all the blatant bloatware on a Droid.

And because it really is a folder, I suspect the software isn't written to nest it in anoher folder. BUT you are jail broke, so I am sure you'll find a way. :)

iPod Touch 4th Gen - No issues.
iPad 3G 1st Gen - Error -37 stating backup could not be completed and I would loose all my data. Ended up being not true. I was able to restore using a backup that was already on the PC from previously.

Disappointed that WiFi Syncing doesn't work all that great. It's slow and iTunes say that it can't find the iPod if it sits on the charger too long. Hopefully it will get better. Safari on the iPad is how it should have been in the first place. Love it!

They don't want it hidden, since its a place where they sell stuff to you. Plus, like the other rom-based apps, you can't delete it. Such is life. I'll deal with a couple icons I don't use over all the blatant bloatware on a Droid.

And because it really is a folder, I suspect the software isn't written to nest it in anoher folder. BUT you are jail broke, so I am sure you'll find a way. :)
Which is why I gave others the steps to hide it in a folder if you want to. No JB needed

If you want it hidden in a folder, make a folder with two APPs and then immediately put the NewsStand APP in the folder. If you do so quickly you will be able to keep it in the folder hidden off your home screen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)