IP address but no DNS

bsasso

Original poster
Mar 21, 2007
Hi,
I own a 622 and connected the ethernet cable from my router (Dlink DIR-655). I reset the connection and get a valid ip address but the DNS are still 0.0.0.0 any idea what can be going on? :confused:
All other equiptment (Xp computer, Vista computer, NAS drive) connected to the router have internet access without a problem.
Thanks

Ethernet port ViP 622

I too did this yesterday.

My question is this: What exactly happens when we connect the ethernet port to our home network? I couldn't find any new features or options once I connected and received a valid IP address.

still no DNS

Thanks for the suggestion. I pressed the front panel power until the unit reset. Then I went back to the menu and did a reset to the conection, but still no dns!
Any other ideas what could be wrong?

It's time to divide and conquer....

First thing first hook the IRD (reciever) directly to your cable/dsl modem do a front panel reset and see if you are able to acquire DNS/IP address then.... if it does not work something maybe wrong with your IRD. If it does work then hook everything back up like you did before, but this time swap ports on your router with the IRD and then try to reaquire, this will rule out if you possibly have a bad port on your router.

The router may not be sending DNS addresses.
Does the check connection option show the broadband working?

if so, it may not matter.

(check your router config to see if it's got an option to send DNS (Domain Name Server) addresses or what for DHCP clients).

Do you have static or dynamic IP's on your other equipment? If static, change to dynamic so the router will automatically assign an IP to any new connections. If it is already dynamic, there may be a problem with the ethernet port.

Thanks

Thanks to all, finally I unplugged the modem and the router, restarted them, then rebooted the 622, and voila! Now I have a broadband conection. Thanks for all the help :up