Will SD ever look like SD?

ehren

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2006
Wisconsin
I do have an HDTV but is it that hard to ask Dish to provide quality SD? Atleast only have 5 or 6 channels per TP for the sports networks. What are there...23? Watching the NHL on CI in SD sucks the effing bag!!!

Unless I'm reading your post wrong, you're complaining about the SD quality while viewing with a HDTV, right?

If so...here's the problem; I'll try to use a good analogy. You're driving a Corvette (or Porsche...players choice) while using 85 octane. That 85 octane is fine if you have a Cavalier, but the moment you decided to get a performance machine that's when you notice how cruddy things are.

you are don't worry, if I can't get an NHL game I have to watch it in SD, which is a pixelated hellish mess of poo. I get SD on cable and it look 5 times better than Dish.

Then watch it on cable. I watch E* SD on a 13" Sharp analog tv in my office and the picture is crystal clear. I can't say the same about my 65" MITS though, it's just barely acceptable.

Man, when are going to quit Whining and jump to D*?

Enough already!

You got to understand, ehren was hoping that the Phillies would win a game in the MLB playoffs. I guess still hasn't gotten over the fact that the team got swept and never had a chance. :rolleyes:

This is a very legitimate post. If people are going to critizie us for wanting HD channels that are mostly upconverted (because the SD version is horrific), than it isnt much to ask for SD channels that aren't overally compressed.

This is a very legitimate post. If people are going to critizie us for wanting HD channels that are mostly upconverted (because the SD version is horrific), than it isnt much to ask for SD channels that aren't overally compressed.

I can understand if someone wants to grip about the picture quality of CI but, do they really need so many posts to do it with?

http://www.satelliteguys.us/search.php?searchid=1079216

I'm not sure he even has time to watch his tv.

I suggest you check your signal levels. Maybe you need a slight repoint of the dish(es). I don't have that problem on my 61" JVC. Mind you, SD looks better on my 36" SDTV than on my 61" HDTV, but I'm not getting a "pixelated hellish mess." Something is wrong. The other thing you might want to check is the connectors and fittings throughout the system. - Tight? -Corroded?

Best of luck.

I agree with you for once. People should be outraged at both D* and E* for the crap SD quality they have. Considering that the large majority of their subscriber base does "not" have HD, one would think they would also focus on SD by improving picture quality above what it is today considering SD ain't goin away anytime soon.

I suggest you check your signal levels. Maybe you need a slight repoint of the dish(es). I don't have that problem on my 61" JVC. Mind you, SD looks better on my 36" SDTV than on my 61" HDTV, but I'm not getting a "pixelated hellish mess." Something is wrong. The other thing you might want to check is the connectors and fittings throughout the system. - Tight? -Corroded?

Best of luck.

I thinks you have to look at it channel by channel. Many of the SD RSNs look terrible, while other stations look better.

SD looks fine on a sd tv. But on an HDTV (High Def T V) SD sucks. Who is going to watch sd on an hdtv. Why buy an HDTV right now, not all channels are hd.

i just got dish installed wednesday - specifically for the hockey as i really wanted multiple feeds. plus with NHL Network launching and more HD (for now at least) it sure seemed the way to go for a hockey fan.
i had directv and centre ice for 10 years, but last nites game on SD dish were atrocious - the ranger game was near unwatchable. the edmonton game was dull and dark (reception, not the play). i was hoping this was a fluke, but having done a search here i came upon this thread.... please tell me this is not the norm!
directv SD was fine, never a problem like i witnessed last nite.
is this indeed the norm on the SD channels for CI??

Ummm... SD on ANY HDTV looks bad... OTA, Dish, Direct, Comcast makes no difference... I have a large SD TV in my house just for the SD channels...

i think some of you may be missing his point - he's comparing Dish SD vs Cable SD for CI. obviously there are levels of quality - as i stated in my post, directv SD CI looked way better on my HDTV than did Dish CI - at least regarding my first nite of games i watched (from last nite).
i was hoping it was a fluke -but now i'm worried

I don't respond to morons but I have 1 211 reciever, so I have to frickin watch SD on my HD set no matter what for NHL Center Ice, I have a QAM tuner for cable and I get a select # of channels on QAM cable. I don't think it's too much for Dish to atleast try and have SD look decent. the problem is each TP has like 16 channels. I remember a long time ago when Digital Cable first launched, the ad said you can get 6 digital channels for every analog channel. NOT 16 Dish! Thanks for those that support me in my fustration. others can suck an egg.

I don't respond to morons but I have 1 211 reciever, so I have to frickin watch SD on my HD set no matter what for NHL Center Ice, I have a QAM tuner for cable and I get a select # of channels on QAM cable. I don't think it's too much for Dish to atleast try and have SD look decent. the problem is each TP has like 16 channels. I remember a long time ago when Digital Cable first launched, the ad said you can get 6 digital channels for every analog channel. NOT 16 Dish! Thanks for those that support me in my fustration. others can suck an egg.

I'm tired of the HD people like you who whine like little girls. The vast majority of customers still have SD only, yet you think Dish should change everything just for you. Grow up, you aren't the center of the universe and no one sure as hell wants you to be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts