Dish Network and Landlines

JohnNicks

Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
Howdy

Just curious

How many times in a month does a normal Dish Netowork receiver call out to Dish Network? and
What is the purpose of having a receiver hooked up to the phone outside of paying an extra 5 a month for?

and BTW, I or my family don't order PPV
Does my receivers call out if I was to order one?

I have the 311 (Standard) and a DVR 522.

It generaly checks several times in a day, the 522 is a dual tuner and requires the phone line connection, if there is no phone connection then you have to pay and additional receiver fee for the second tuner. Some say its to prevent account stacking but its an effective marketing tool to make it easier for you to order ppv events.

I'm a dish network installer,

There are a few things the phone lines are used for..

A. Of course for easy access to PPV movies.

B. Rather then using the SAT to take software updates, the hardrives would dial out between 3 - 5am to recieve updates to keep your system up to date, if you dont update you may find missing channels, buttons not working, guide outdated and other problems. It can update through the SAT, but this is when they charge you the addtional $5. per month, because
"you're using up bandwith on the SAT to take updates for a duel rcvr"

C. Gives you caller ID on your TV's connected to those receivers w/ phone lines. (if you dont see this you can enable it in the menu)
press
'menu'
'6'
'1'
'caller ID'
'enable'
'exit menus'

there now when someone calls the name and number as shows up on your telephone will pop on the top of your screen.

B. Rather then using the SAT to take software updates, the hardrives would dial out between 3 - 5am to recieve updates to keep your system up to date, if you dont update you may find missing channels, buttons not working, guide outdated and other problems. It can update through the SAT, but this is when they charge you the addtional $5. per month, because

OMG, this is SO scary that people are even being told this stuff... :eek: :rolleyes: :confused:

LOL!!! Do you seriously tell people this nonsense?

Wow..

I'm a Dish Network Installer too.. And A Retailer. And that is about the most rediculous thing that I have ever heard..

PHONE LINE.. is marketing only.. For PPV and assorted items on the Dish Interactive (ie. customer service).. At no time does it take any software updates over a phone line..

And the real reason Dish Charges $5.00 for not having a phone line to a dual tuner is......... Because they can.. :)

Last edited:

Wow..

I'm a Dish Network Installer too.. And A Retailer. And that is about the most rediculous thing that I have ever heard..

PHONE LINE.. is marketing only.. For PPV and assorted items on the Dish Interactive (ie. customer service).. At no time does it take any software updates over a phone line..

Just think of the HUGE security hole they would have if they updated the receivers over the phone lines. Not to mention the high cost associated with the long toll free calls. It's a no brainer to use the bandwidth available on the satellite, it's fast, and it's reliable.

Dish has also mentioned that they gather statistical information about your viewing habits on DVRs. They know how many times you use the skip button... They also know what channels Dish network customers are watching, they use this valuable information in their negotiations with providers.

I have also heard that Dish/Directv/comcast/Tivo can actually document how many people record and playback specific shows/movies. I remember tivo stating how many people replayed the Janet Jackson incident at the Super Bowl a couple years ago. They also mention it on TIVO's article in wikipedia. Any truth to this?

Even if it is does it really matter, the goverment and private companies do this alot of the time anyways. They track phone calls, buying habits, etc. So what is one more thing from a controling and all seeing goverment. LOL

wow... umm, you got lied to... sorry.
Imagine how bad that would be if it was in the middle of updating the firmware, when all of a sudden someone picks up a phone and cuts off the download (cause legally, it HAS to disconnect with you pick up the phone)
bad or corrupt firmware upgrade is never good.

"you're using up bandwith on the SAT to take updates for a duel rcvr"...

Hmm, I haven't had a phone line tied to my receiver for three years and image my surprise when I still get my guide and the updates.
Let's see, what are the two letters that go with your post... Umm... Umm... Oh yeah! B.S.!!!!!!!

Howdy

Just curious

How many times in a month does a normal Dish Netowork receiver call out to Dish Network? and
What is the purpose of having a receiver hooked up to the phone outside of paying an extra 5 a month for?

and BTW, I or my family don't order PPV
Does my receivers call out if I was to order one?

I have the 311 (Standard) and a DVR 522.

Getting back to the OP, mine seems to call home every Monday between 11:00am and noon Central time. FWIW, I have a ViP722.

I hate to point out the obvious but for me any post starting with the phrase "I'm a dish network installer," is now synonymous with "what follows is utter nonsense".

Islandguy43
I don't steal their signal. Have been a paying customer for 10 years. Want to get HD PVR, but this is difficult due to location.May switch to Direct. The "Queens'Cowboys" aka the Mounties are probably customers also. Question still stands; what if connect landline with non US area code?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts