Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
In a surprise Apple announced a 4th generation iPad today, with faster CPU, better wifi and 4G support. Plus it moves to the new Lightning Connector.

What was not a surprise was the announcement of the iPad Mini. Its 23% thinner then an iPad, as thin as a pencil. 50% lighter then an iPad 7.9 Inch screen. Same amout of Pixels. Runs all current iPad software without the developers needing to change anything.

I wonder what price it will be ..hmmm I guess we will find out soon :) Thanks for sharing Scott :)

Request to merge with existing thread

OT, this doesn't seem like the earth shattering release that is going to propel Apple to new heights. It basically seems to be an iPad 2 with LTE capabilities and a smaller screen. And I love the typical Apple pompous attitude of, "Every iPad released that is smaller than the iPad has SUCKED." Oh please, almighty patent troll Apple, lead us to the promised land like Moses leading the Jews across the desert because CLEARLY only YOU can do it right.

I'm more than satisfied with my iPad 3, and given the fact that the lowest end model is at the inflated price of $329, I don't see this flying off the shelves like the other releases. I think Android will still keep a stranglehold on the lower end, ~7" tablet market.

Update: Jeeze I didn't even see that they announced a 4th gen regular model as well! Ugh... I think Steve Jobs would be turning over in his grave right now if he knew this was going on, departing from his tried and true model of the 1 standard size and only yearly refreshes. Does make me feel like a bit of a moron buying the 3rd gen model when I did. Figures when I go all out for day 1 purchase it's the model that's the first to be retired..

Last edited:
I have the original iPad and haven't considered upgrading, but I may just get this Mini. Better pricepoint and the entry level wifi only works just fine in my case.

I was more interested in the new Mac Mini, and think that it was overdue for a refresh. Looks like they did the right things.

And what can you say about the new iMac?? Thinner and very attractive. And that optional Fusion Drive using flash and a hard drive looks intriguing. While I'll be curious about it, I have no need/want to move from my 2009 27" iMac.

I'm surprised this thread isn't more active than this.

I would have hoped Apple would have priced the iPad Mini at $299 instead. I think it would attract more consumers away from the Nexus 7. The Mac Mini refresh looks awesome and I would upgrade ours but it's not needed. We bought ours new last Sept and they are still running just as quick as the day we bought them. I'm very impressed with the Mac.

The iPad mini is kind of strange, its a cross between an iPad 2 and an iPad 4. The speed of it is like an iPad 2, but the features such as better wifi, better LTE and lighting cable support.

I'm confused on the iPad announcement. Did Apple announce an iPad 4 or is the iPad 3rd generation being updated with a lightning connector and the A6X? We have an iPad 3rd gen that we bought in May.

Might have missed the boat on this but I thought the Ipad2 was the latest model. At 349$ for the "mini", I'd get a 10" Asus instead if I was in the market for a tablet.

Cheers, K

I'm confused on the iPad announcement. Did Apple announce an iPad 4 or is the iPad 3rd generation being updated with a lightning connector and the A6X? We have an iPad 3rd gen that we bought in May.

Yes they announced the 4th generation iPad 4, which has a new CPU which is double the speed of the iPad 3, better WIFI, Better LTE support and moves to a Lightning connector.

They've essentially removed the iPad 3 from existence yet for some reason keeping the iPad 2. So in the literal sense, your iPad 3, while more powerful (barely) than the iPad 2, is now obsolete.

I think Apple needs to pay some retribution to people who have the iPad 3. I think given Apple's track record going back to the original iPod it's safe to assume that anything that Apple releases will be available for at LEAST a year before a new model comes out and/or the old model is phased out. This would be like if when they released the iPhone 5 they discontinued the 4s and kept the 4.

Part of the confusion comes from the fact that officially there was no ipad 3 or 4. These last two iterations are both just ipads but they are indeed the 3rd and 4th generations.

Might have missed the boat on this but I thought the Ipad2 was the latest model. At 349$ for the "mini", I'd get a 10" Asus instead if I was in the market for a tablet.

Cheers, K

You definitley misswed the boat. The 3rd generation came out in early march of this year. It is called the Ipad and if I read these announcements correctly it will be going away and the Ipad 2 and the new Ipad (plus the mini) will be for sale.

We still like ours. It does what we need it to. Maybe that means mine will be worth more one day since it was out less than 6 months. :D

This release of the iPad 4 is very Android like, but is instead the same company releasing a better product months after releasing the previous version, rather than the competition doing it. Really strange for Apple. I know they've taken heat for not releasing iterations of the iPhone quicker, but this seems unnecessary and I'd think under Jobs' reign they would have sat on this until the spring or something.

Only thing really compelling them to do this is the lightning connector, to maybe more closely align their tablet with their phone...? But then announced the mini which is behind them both in specs? So in 6 months we can probably expect a Mini with an A6X then too.

The iPad mini maybe apples doom.

No retina display stupid!!

Over priced and a dumb screen size 7.8

Next week a new nexus 7 will be announced that will kill the iPid mini in specs and will go for only $249/

The new Mac mini seems great along with the all in one Mac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My iPad 3 is only worth $250 from Gazelle.COM for a 32 GB with WIFI and Verizon LTE. Yuck.

My 32gb wifi iPad 2 is worth $200-$300 from Amazon, depending on how picky they are about the ding in the corner from dropping the thing.

A 32gb Wifi + VZW iPad 3 is worth $382-$590 depending on condition.

They'll still give me $106 for my HP Touchpad. Tempted to just send them my 2 and iPad and pick up a 4. Kinda wanted to see what the Nexus phone/tablets have to offer before doing that though. If I could walk into a store with both of those tablets and pay $100 to walk out with the latest and greatest, I'd be there now.

Granted it's an Amazon GC, but you can turn around and buy a new iPad too potentially.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p...766011&ie=UTF8&qid=1351018898&rnid=3077589011

my thoughts (and I'll freely admit my android bias):

Point of comparison, the Nexus 7 (not the Kindle Fire HD)

CPU comparison:
iPad mini: -1 generation dual-core CPU
Nexus 7: Current generation quad-core CPU

Memory expansion from base 16GB model:
iPad mini: $100 for 16 GB / 200$ for 48 GB
Nexus 7: $50 for 16GB / No 64 GB option

Screen comparison:
iPad mini 4:3 1024x768 163ppi
Nexus 7: 16:10 1280x800 216 ppi
Note: Tim Cook's browser demo didn't use full screen browser mode on the android device which would have shown a much closer result in landscape mode.

GPS:
iPad mini: Assisted GPS and GLONASS (don't know what this is).
Nexus 7: Included.

WiFi:
same.

Weight:
iPad mini: 309g / .68 pounds
Nexus 7: 340g / .75 pounds

Apple marketing will still sell a lot of these.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)