iPad Mini Announced

New rumors being released in China News papers-

ipad mini with retina display and other hardware enhancements to be out sometime in the Spring, about 1 month after the iphone5s is on the market.

iphone 5s begins production in December. Main development is internal with new materials specs and new parts spec to improve on production limitations experienced with the current iphone5. Full production volume expected after first of the year. Current iphone5 has such tight specifications that failure to meet tolerances set by apple is causing a large number of rejects. 5s should fix this problem.

New rumors being released in China News papers-

ipad mini with retina display and other hardware enhancements to be out sometime in the Spring, about 1 month after the iphone5s is on the market.

Talk about screwing over your early adopters. Roughly 6 months from release to mk 2.

[quote ]iphone 5s begins production in December. Main development is internal with new materials specs and new parts spec to improve on production limitations experienced with the current iphone5. Full production volume expected after first of the year. Current iphone5 has such tight specifications that failure to meet tolerances set by apple is causing a large number of rejects. 5s should fix this problem.[/QUOTE]

So they messed up the 5 design and are releasing its successor in barely 6 months?

See above re: early adopters.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Talk about screwing over your early adopters. Roughly 6 months from release to mk 2.

[quote ]iphone 5s begins production in December. Main development is internal with new materials specs and new parts spec to improve on production limitations experienced with the current iphone5. Full production volume expected after first of the year. Current iphone5 has such tight specifications that failure to meet tolerances set by apple is causing a large number of rejects. 5s should fix this problem.
The question is are they really releasing a new model or just correcting manufacturing issues with the existing one?

The ipad mini appears to be an upgrade for users but will be released about 6 months from the first batch. I believe these popular devices will be on a 6 month upgrade schedule. If you are like Rocky and need to always be on the cutting edge, then get ready to fork over more money, more often. I don't see this any different than the Android stuff that has something new every month.

The iphone 5s seems like just a retooling design of the problem areas that is hampering production capacity on the 5. It is slated for immediate change. As I understand from other reports, those phones released for sale are on spec. but those that don't meet specs are waste. They just hold up production. I wonder if the new design that resolves the high tolerance issues will be any different than the current one. Maybe thicker?

Remember, all this stuff is rumors from Chinese Newspaper leaks.

I think a six month upgrade schedule makes some sense - it allows them to add features more rapidly to address what the competition is offering. Most of us don't have to always have the latest version.

If the iPad mini drops to $229 after an iPad mini w/Retina comes out for the current $329, I could see that. Not in six months, but before next fall.

The production delays regarding the iPhone 5 surprise me. Other than the matching glass windows to the unibody, what's so unusual about the design that makes it "impossible" for Foxconn to put it together? If anything, the iFixit tear down made it seem pretty easy to work on.

Also, my experiences with my black iPhone 5 make me wonder what abuse the scratched cases were exposed to. My phone seems very durable, not something that needs to be treated with kid gloves.

Roland- From what I have read on this the tolerances to fit the iphone5 are much tighter than the company is used to working within. It's not impossible as yours was released for sale, but rather the number of rejects not meeting specs is so high that the output is lower than they need to keep up with demand. Maybe Apple needs to bring in some SWISS watch makers as consultants for the Chinese companies. :)

After paying a reported $21 million to the Swiss Rail Authority, Apple may not want to deal with any more Swiss.

I played with an iPad mini at Best Buy tonight. It felt bigger than I expected; certainly bigger than my old Galaxy Tab. BUT I am baffled by the lack of a retina display. Now, I know I use an iPad 3 for HOURS every day, and I have come to EXPECT the clarity of the retina display, but the ipad-2-like resolution really jumped out at me.

I played around yesterday with the Mini at BB. I thought it was just fine and frankly didn't find the graphics to be an issue at all.

I've been toying around with what to get, either a Mini or a new Nook. In the end I decided on a Nook Simple Touch w/Glowlight since I really only wanted something smaller to read books with as my original iPad 1 does everything I need a tablet to do.

The Nook is just superb! Much smaller overall than the original Nook, much lighter too. About the same weight as a thick paper back book. And the glowlight makes it very readable in reduced/no light situations which is most often the case for me.

I played with an iPad mini at Best Buy tonight. It felt bigger than I expected; certainly bigger than my old Galaxy Tab. BUT I am baffled by the lack of a retina display. Now, I know I use an iPad 3 for HOURS every day, and I have come to EXPECT the clarity of the retina display, but the ipad-2-like resolution really jumped out at me.

You shouldn't be. This allows them to double dip the early adopters of the mini twice in the first year :)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

I would like to see them get a bigger screen on the iPad... Move closer to 16:9. If they did like the mini and thinned out the margin on the narrow ends of the screen it may not have to change the form factor very much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)