iPad Mini Announced

...and for some Apple still can do no wrong apparently.
And there's the very predictable, "You disagree with me so you have to be some kind of fan boy" reply.

The fact is that Apple does many things wrong - I have to code around some of their mistakes all the time. But, to suggest that they somehow owe people restitution for releasing a new improved product in time for the x-mas sales season is ludicrous. The fact that a new and better iPad exists has not reduced the functionality or utility of the device that you currently own in any way.

I have to wonder why they dropped the Gen 3 model and not the ipad 2? Also I was disappointed in the mini because it was basically just a smaller version of a two year old device. Why not make the mini with the Gen 3 hardware and keep it one version back from the iPad.

I have to wonder why they dropped the Gen 3 model and not the ipad 2? Also I was disappointed in the mini because it was basically just a smaller version of a two year old device. Why not make the mini with the Gen 3 hardware and keep it one version back from the iPad.

I was wondering the same thing, on both counts.

I love it. First people complain tha Apple doesn't update their products frequently enough - then, when Apple releases a product earlier than expected, people complain that Apple screwed them by releasing products too soon after they bought their last update. Apple doesn't owe you squat for releasing a new product on a different release schedule.
Yeah but you HAVE to admit that it is more than a bit of a d*ck move to have a standard release schedule for basically ALL your devices and then not only break it, but then completely eliminate a model that isn't even a year old. Apple had NO reason to release a new iPad. The mini I fully understand and accept them releasing, but knowing that I have an iPad that can't even be purchased anymore is a slap in the face. I'm not saying that Apple OWES me anything. I'm not going to storm my local Apple store and demand anything to satisfy my false sense of entitlement. To me, this is just another big d*ck move that Apple has thrown our way, and for a company that has worked so hard and rightfully built up a lot of goodwill amongst their customers, they're doing a few too many to simply ignore. Between their INSUFFERABLE patent trolling that is stifling innovation, going to a new connector when the previous one worked perfectly fine and charging people $30 for an adapter that is manufactured in a way to stop generic cheaper versions from being made, abandoning Google Maps and replacing it with a Map program that is still in it's Alpha stage, releasing a voice assistance program as a real "product" when it's still in Beta, and now with this iPad move, I just wonder how many times people are going to take this inexcusable arrogance until they just say "Enough is Enough."

They have a huge reason to release a new iPad - the x-mas sales season. They can sell more iPads by releasing two months before x-mas than they can two months later. That's why there's a push to release Windows 8 and Android tablets now. There's no reason Apple shouldn't release a product to protect their market. I don't like seeing a much better iMac available within a few months of me buying a new one either, but sh-t happens and products continue to get better. Besides, my iMac still works as well as it did before the announcement of a new model was made.

I was wondering the same thing, on both counts.

because then they get the economy of scale of having 2 products with the same basic features. it also helps lower the price barrier to get people into apples tablet ecosystem.

in terms of performance etc you can rattle off any number of Android tablets that bring more to the table then the iPad Mini for less...

it's just my opinion, Apple should have brought everything but retina to hit this price point. instead they dumbed down to previous generation technology to maintain profit margin.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I don't think Apple owes us 3rd gen iPad owners anything but I agree that the marketing of the new one after only 7 month since the 3rd gen release does look poor to those of us who did buy the 3rd gen iPad. Now you can get a refurbished 3rd gen iPad for $379. We could complain to Apple but they won't do anything about it.

I'm still happy with the 3rd gen iPad. The connector matches what we use with our iPhone 4S's and it does everything we need it to do.

And there's the very predictable, "You disagree with me so you have to be some kind of fan boy" reply.

The fact is that Apple does many things wrong - I have to code around some of their mistakes all the time. But, to suggest that they somehow owe people restitution for releasing a new improved product in time for the x-mas sales season is ludicrous. The fact that a new and better iPad exists has not reduced the functionality or utility of the device that you currently own in any way.

Feel free to quote where I said I have an iPad 3 or I think people should get something for it.

I think Apple will move to a 6 month schedule like they did with the iPods for a while. Essentially the tablet space is heating up and new products are coming out so fast that waiting a year between updates will hurt them. MS surface and Google are putting the pressure on now. Apple has to come out with updates faster to stay on top.

The android tablet market is moving faster as there are quite a few more vendors making them. And at the top of the line, they are trying to one up each other.

I am interested in seeing what all shows at Google's event next Monday 10/29. Rumors are expansion of the Nexus program and devices demo'd including:
Samsung Nexus 10 Tablet w/ Exynos Quad-Core and 2560x1600 screen
LG Nexus 7 phone w/ Snapdragon Quad-Core 1280x800 screen and 2GB of memory.

There will probably be more, possible even showing the Samsung Chromebook (which sells @ 249) running ChromeOS.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

The real reason for the iPad update has to do with apple wanting their whole line spotting lighting.

I suspect an iPad refresh in February, followed by their normal yearly update.

Also I would not be surprised if the new iPad has a all new look come February.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The real reason for the iPad update has to do with apple wanting their whole line spotting lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ipad 2 doesn't and is still on sale. Also the ihone 4 and 4s.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

lightning

The ipad 2 doesn't and is still on sale. Also the ihone 4 and 4s.
Sure, but the iPhone 4 & 4S are as obsolete as the 3GS. :)
Just wait for the 5S, and see what happens:
- iPhone 5 will be $99 with 8gb ...
- iPhone 4S will be $1 with 8gb ...
And pretty soon the 30 pin connector will be as forgotten as ISA cards, CGA monitors, SCSI disc drives, and USB 1! ;)
The iPad 2's days are numbered; the handwriting is on the wall.

posted from ancient iPhone 4 :)

The iPad 2's days are numbered; the handwriting is on the wall.

Of course it is, except on the used market. The only reason this was announced was to let the public know they have a supply on hand. I have no belief that Apple has issued a manufacturing order to make more ipad2's. So, this is really just a inventory depletion game for whatever $$ they can make. Once the holiday buying season is over, I suspect that whatever ipad2's are left in stock will be donated to charity, like elementary schools. They could achieve a nice tax deduction for a dead product they obsoleted with the ipad3. Plus, indoctrinate young minds to the iOS way generating a new corp of people who will grow up wanting iOS - Apple product.

I just got a new iPad delivered that I ordered on Sunday. Off to the Apple store to get a refund so I can order the new one.

AKGolf said:
I just got a new iPad delivered that I ordered on Sunday. Off to the Apple store to get a refund so I can order the new one.

Lucky devil!

Don Landis said:
Of course it is, except on the used market. The only reason this was announced was to let the public know they have a supply on hand. I have no belief that Apple has issued a manufacturing order to make more ipad2's. So, this is really just a inventory depletion game for whatever $$ they can make. Once the holiday buying season is over, I suspect that whatever ipad2's are left in stock will be donated to charity, like elementary schools. They could achieve a nice tax deduction for a dead product they obsoleted with the ipad3. Plus, indoctrinate young minds to the iOS way generating a new corp of people who will grow up wanting iOS - Apple product.

They tried that indoctrination thing with various Apple desktops. You see how well that worked.

I think a significant number of folks, upon seeing a 6 month or so product cycle, will decide to buy the iPad 6 - after the iPad 7 is out and the price drops.

On a technical note I have a G5 PPC tower with 10.5.8 Leopard. How will I be able to transfer from the G5 to the Ipad Mini I am ordering on Friday, is there a way to use Wi Fi with the G5. Thanks for any help. ron

navychop said:
I think a significant number of folks, upon seeing a 6 month or so product cycle, will decide to buy the iPad 6 - after the iPad 7 is out and the price drops.
I think you give the general public WAY too much credit! ;)

Oh , "significant".
Yes, the Apple followers surely will see through the sham.

But now, Apple wants to enslav... 'er, harness the great unwashed. :).
They walk into Walmart or Radio Shack and buy what's in stock. ;)
Or based on color, accessories, ... or *price*. !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)