iPhone 4 has been officially announced! Goes on sale on June 24!

I read that as: Apple thinks you're too stupid to figure out how to swap out a battery.
No.
"Too stupid" to take it apart - Yes.

About 6 months ago I bought and upgraded a MacMini.
I would not have attempted it if not for the half dozen how-to's I found.
I think taking apart an iPhone is even harder.

If you mean to ask why isn't the battery replaceable without disassembly, then I don't know. I don't think any smartphones have this feature.

It's a bit uncomfortable to find myself in a position defending Apple...:)

Diogen.

I read that as: Apple thinks you're too stupid to figure out how to swap out a battery. HTC, Samsung, Nokia, Motorola, LG and others seem to think us simpletons are able to handle this complicated task. I realize that one of Apple's alleged selling points is simplicity, but COME ON.

Whatever I could go on and on about this. I need to rescind myself from this thread. :rant:

You just have to view the iPhone as using an expensive battery. It is the expense of the battery plus the cost of having Apple change it for you. Again it is a trade off feature of one phone vs another. Apple wants everyone to buy a new phone every 2 years, so they are designed that way. One would think that the carriers (AT&T) would want them to be longer lasting since they are the ones having to provide the subsidy.

I view it as an engineering problem they haven't been able to solve. Because of form factors their batteries are different for every device, rather than convenient swappable elements.

Also this is the only way apple knows of. They did it in the laptop line beacuse a non-removable battery allowed apple to place a hugh battery inside which allows for 8 hours of havey usage. Put in a removable battery and you will get only four hours.

It is a trade off replacable battery of longer life. The Iphone 4 should last for eight hours with havey use.:angel:

I view it as an engineering problem they haven't been able to solve. Because of form factors their batteries are different for every device, rather than convenient swappable elements.

I'm on the fence on where to upgrade my existing iPhone to this one. I'm out of contract (or at least I will be on the anniversary of the release of the iPhone 3G), but I'm disappointed that it's still only 32GB of storage. I was honestly hoping for 64. Some of the new features seem very favorable (better screen, better camera, HD video taking), but I'll likely want a 4G phone next year when LTE becomes readily available around here.

That being said, I don't know that I'm willing to pay $300 now and then another $700 next year to get a 4G one without the contract incentive price. Then again, 4G data plans might be ridiculously priced initially, so it might be worth skipping next year's model and joining 4G when it's more common and hopefully more economical.

So, how does iPhone 4 compare to Droid Incredible, Evo 4G and Nexus One?
Here is a nice comparison chart posted by TiPb.com:

Attachments

• iphone_4_vs_android_tech_specs.jpg
    iphone_4_vs_android_tech_specs.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 113
Also this is the only way apple knows of. They did it in the laptop line beacuse a non-removable battery allowed apple to place a hugh battery inside which allows for 8 hours of havey usage. Put in a removable battery and you will get only four hours.

It is a trade off replacable battery of longer life. The Iphone 4 should last for eight hours with havey use.:angel:

I don't believe this for one bit. It's all about driving up the sales of more phones and/or repairs.

I think it is more for looks. A removable batter would add lines/notches, etc...

Apple is all about looks. That is one of the way they make buyers perceive additional value.

Guess that's why I don't have any fruit in my collection. Functionality over looks here.

Ohhhh I got ya now!!!!!!!!! I SEE SAYS THE BLIND MAN!!! :D :) Yea that's cool that its jailbroken. As far as the frequency's is concerned, the baseband is upgraded on this phone as a quad band, but its missing the tmobile 1700, unless 1900 can do 1700? That's the only frequency keeping 3g off of the iphone on tmobile. The other one, 2100, the iphone currently has, as well as the lower two for calls and edge.

T Mobile phones use one frequency to receive and another to send. US Iphones are not set up this way (I am not sure about a phone you might get from outside the US) . as we have both said you can use them on Edge but that is a lot slower and most would find it inadequate for surfing and downloads---which is what folks usually buy an iphone to do.

Clearly somebody is doing it. There are people unlocking the phones and i am not sure where else they are going. But unless somebody finds a workaround for the difference in how the devices operate I don't see T Mobile use as a viavle option but YMMV.

I think iPhone users upgrade every 2 years , more or less. Due to reduced price after 2 years.

I also think cell companies like phones to wear out after 2 years or so, to get you to upgrade and sign another two year commitment

Most probably opt for the apple care 2 year warranty. Then battery replacement is free. After 2 years, get a new phone...

That's my plan now. Got the year's extended warranty on my iPhone. I'll have to see the 4 to see if the screen is that much better. Video is of little interest. Might skip a model & wait for the "5".

That's my plan now. Got the year's extended warranty on my iPhone. I'll have to see the 4 to see if the screen is that much better. Video is of little interest. Might skip a model & wait for the "5".

If LTE does come out in a year you will be sorry you signed up for a two year commitment no. Heck the long fabled Verizon iPhone might even come out

If LTE does come out in a year you will be sorry you signed up for a two year commitment no. Heck the long fabled Verizon iPhone might even come out

It is not the end of the world, $350 is all it really costs you to break early if you really think that next year's phone will be earth shattering.

Guess that's why I don't have any fruit in my collection. Functionality over looks here.

Form is supposed to follow function :), I don't buy that is why they don't let you remove the battery, since the new one has a very visible line in the band which i don't like aesthetically. If it was because of that they could do what the touch diamond and the EVO which i just got do and that is have the whole back just come off. Its just because they like to control everything and thats why i don't buy apple products. too much of a closed system.

It is not the end of the world, $350 is all it really costs you to break early if you really think that next year's phone will be earth shattering.

No one said it was the end of the world. I just can't see paying the purchase pri cce plus $350 for the right to pay full price again a year later.

Can't pick a new phone

Are all Android phones the same?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)