iPhone at Bristol

stimpson

Miller Lite Tester
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Benton, Arkansas
Well I'm at Bristol Moter Speedway. It's an awsome track and beautiful country out here. There is no 3G coverage, just edge. No big deal. Get this. My iPhone doesn't work worth a crap from the track or inside of aile radius if the track. I show full bars and it goes back and forth from 3G and edge, but I can't make calls or anything. Only texts work sometimes. Get a few miles from the track and all is good. Do you think Sprint is jacking or blocking other carriers signals? Or is that possible?

You said the magic word. Country. If it's not within the city limits you're not going to get that great of coverage on any provider. At least not 3G. I was up in the mountains visiting relatives and got 3 bars of EDGE, which was just enough to take a call.

I agree with the lack of signal in some areas, but like I was saying, although slow, my phone works as long as I'm a mile or so away from the track.

You said the magic word. Country. If it's not within the city limits you're not going to get that great of coverage on any provider. At least not 3G. I was up in the mountains visiting relatives and got 3 bars of EDGE, which was just enough to take a call.

I live in Mccordsville, Indiana a town with two traffic lights and a lot of corn. My iPhone works fine as do all of the other AT&T phones in this area.

Mario

I live in Mccordsville, Indiana a town with two traffic lights and a lot of corn. My iPhone works fine as do all of the other AT&T phones in this area.

Mario

Had to look at what was around you and I would bet that your coverage has a LOT to do with being within range of cell coverage for three interstate higways. I70, I69, & I465

Similar to where I am at in Gretna NE with great coverage but towers for I80 being in my sight

Had to look at what was around you and I would bet that your coverage has a LOT to do with being within range of cell coverage for three interstate higways. I70, I69, & I465

Similar to where I am at in Gretna NE with great coverage but towers for I80 being in my sight

Maybe, but that doesn't explain why I've never been anywhere in the state when I didn't have coverage. From South Bend to Evansville over to Louisville and up to Ft Wayne I always have a signal even when I'm not too close to major roads. Your mileage may vary...

Mario

Well I'm at Bristol Moter Speedway. It's an awsome track and beautiful country out here. There is no 3G coverage, just edge. No big deal. Get this. My iPhone doesn't work worth a crap from the track or inside of aile radius if the track. I show full bars and it goes back and forth from 3G and edge, but I can't make calls or anything. Only texts work sometimes. Get a few miles from the track and all is good. Do you think Sprint is jacking or blocking other carriers signals? Or is that possible?

Welcome to the fun of GSM.... it breaks down quickly when lots of people are in one spot.

It wasn't a signal strength issue as I clearly stated twice. Found out last night as we were waiting in line to get out of the track, a girl in front of me had a jailbroken iPhone with Verizon and it worked just fine.

It wasn't a signal strength issue as I clearly stated twice. Found out last night as we were waiting in line to get out of the track, a girl in front of me had a jailbroken iPhone with Verizon and it worked just fine.

You can't have a jailbroken iPhone with Verizon.

iPhone uses different cell technology so an iPhone would not work with Verizon.

I have noticed when I go to events such as baseball games or other events, I can have 5 bars on my phone (a full 3g signal) but I can't do anything with the phone.

AT&T Sucks.

You said you had full bars, which meant to me you had excellent signal.

iPhone uses different cell technology so an iPhone would not work with Verizon.

I have noticed when I go to events such as baseball games or other events, I can have 5 bars on my phone (a full 3g signal) but I can't do anything with the phone.

AT&T Sucks.

The guy in the mall told me the same thing, that they had people jailbreaking their phones and put them on Verizon.

If you look at my phone it says that my carrier is Verizon instead of AT&T, but thats only because I changed it to say Verizon on the banner. :)

Maybe that's what it was Scott. She did say a friend did it for her. Maybe her friend did what u did, but if so, she must know who her carrier is from the bill. Thanks for all the info all.

I've had problems at large sporting events where I can't do anything on a data network and have heard that on numerous occasions (Lakers Parade at the Coliseum, hardly anybody could send out any pics). Maybe "conjestion" at the local cell tower with so many phones in the area?

The problem is that even though you had full signal, there are only so many slots on the tower, and when you get that many people in one spot, the tower fills up. You have to keep trying and see if you win the slot lottery.

The only real way around this for a cell phone provider is to bring in more towers. They are small cell phone towers on trailers, they surround the event and divide up the traffic better. Or, they work with the place and set up permanent micro cells. The problem with a car race it is a one weekend event, too much cost to bring in the equipment and set up for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts